Toyota Tundra or Chevy Silverado?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former Master Tech from Lexus here. I have worked on primarily on Lexus vehicles for 12 years, but have seen too many issues with the Silverado, tahoe, escalade, sierra, yukon trucks, particularly with the 5.3 and 4.8 models when they have come through the shop. The consistent issues are with the rear main oil seal, and oil pan start to develop leaks with high mileage. The newer models 2014+ cant speak for. The tundras with the 4.7L are bullet proof. The Tundras 2007+ have the new 5.7 and those have had very little issues, but are not not as reliable as the 4.7l (some will develop small coolant leaks at the water pump over time.) The Tundra has had very little recalls compared to some other models, cant speak for GM. The GM parts are substantially cheaper to maintain as well as overall cost, but Tundras only really have normal wear and tear issues, (fluids, brakes, and tires.) Hope this helps. BTW i have a 2008 Toyota Tundra dual cab 4x4 with 98000 miles and no issues.

Toyota over Chevy every single time regardless of model. Between those two makes, reliability can't be compared.

Yota only assembled in the US all japanesse parts... we were building a wind turbine prodject in western Maine and we had five yotas didn't last a year any of them, they switched to Fords and they lasted two more years..I personelly drive a Dodge 13years 195k and still running strong.

Yota only assembled in the US all japanesse parts... we were building a wind turbine prodject in western Maine and we had five yotas didn't last a year any of them, they switched to Fords and they lasted two more years..I personelly drive a Dodge 13years 195k and still running strong.
In 2012 I sold my 1978 Toyota HiLux pickup truck. It had 434,000 miles on it. Buyer changed the oil in my driveway and drove it off. My wife's 4Runner is on it's 11th year with about 250,000 miles on it. Has only received scheduled maintenance and replacement of wear pars (brake jobs, tires, etc.). We had the same experience with a Corolla we owned for 12 years.

We've also owned 3 Chevy's in our 30+ years of marriage. I brought one of them (I bought it used) into the marriage (was the trade for the new Corolla). The last two Chevys were maintenance nightmares. The last one in the shop all the time while under warranty, and we got rid of it very early/quickly and bought the 4Runner. Chevy didn't seem to care about our troubles with their products. We gave Chevy a chance(s), but they lost us as customers for the rest of our lives. Even if Chevy began making what would reportedly be the most reliable vehicle in the world, we wouldn't buy another. Just cannot trust their reliability. It was never the power trains that gave us problems. It was ancillary electrical components --- auto windows, ignition, ABS, etc. Chevy had their chance. Actually "chances" with us. More than a fair chance considering how pissed off my wife was when I bought the third one (the one that seemed to spend as much time in the shop as one the road while under warranty).

I can't pry the 4Runner keys out of my wife's hand even for a day. I tried to buy her a new 4Runner in 2014 with me taking her 2006 4Runner, but she would have nothing to do with that.

Last edited:
My experience is one sided because I've not owned a Toyota truck before. Have owned a Toyota car once though.
I bought a 2002 GMC Sierra Z-71 extended cab in August, 2001. Supposed to have been the first of the 2002s that were delivered into the state of Florida at the time.
It's been a good truck. I still have it and drive it regularly.
It's got 332,000 miles on it and my only repairs to date (other than normal maintenance) was a fuel pump and front wheel bearings on each side.
I have changed oil every 6,000 right from the start and have never had to add oil between changes.

It's been a good truck, but I'm one that will never buy another GM product...next vehicle most likely will be Toyota.

My experience is one sided because I've not owned a Toyota truck before. Have owned a Toyota car once though.
I bought a 2002 GMC Sierra Z-71 extended cab in August, 2001. Supposed to have been the first of the 2002s that were delivered into the state of Florida at the time.
It's been a good truck. I still have it and drive it regularly.
It's got 332,000 miles on it and my only repairs to date (other than normal maintenance) was a fuel pump and front wheel bearings on each side.
I have changed oil every 6,000 right from the start and have never had to add oil between changes.

It's been a good truck, but I'm one that will never buy another GM product...next vehicle most likely will be Toyota.

If I send you the money, would you buy some lotto tickets for me????
:)

American assembled is supporting American jobs . I went from a line worker /assembler now I'm over quality for certain models at a Japanese auto maker . I'll say this when it comes to automobiles the Japanese can't be touched . Now im American and southern as Apple pie and sweet tea ,but I work for a Japanese automaker they are the best as far as average Joe wanting an average car or truck they are the best .

Even though my company is Japanese our R&D engineering all that is American and Japanese with Americans going to Japan for usually 4 years and Japanese coming here for 4 years , ever officer in our company has a Japanese and American equivalent to balance the power 2 presidents, 2 vps etc. As far as I know Toyota is the same way .

No offense to any American company and without getting myself into trouble for revealing technology I'll say this . The Japanese (average cars now ) have the best technology built to the best specs with the most modern facilities in the world.

I may be bias but walking though the most advanced engine plant in the world in little ole Alabama is something to see .If people just knew what all went into these cars they would recommend them to anyone anytime .

I have kids , I drive Japanese autos . I would never hesitate to recommend a vehicle to a family I tell people if I knew you were going to be in a near fatal crash I would not hesitate to recommend a Japanese car .

We have another wall of accidents that should of been fatal but the occupants walked out of the crash. I'm rambling a little bit but really just trying to drive my point home on this .

Thanks Spartan,

What drives me nuts is that American car companies have LONG had the opportunity to improve, and instead, relied on their reputations. Back in the 80's, Ford finally consulted with Edward Deming to improve their line, but reserved the right to yank his contract if they felt they weren't getting their money's worth. Morons. Deming has forgotten more about quality than Ford will ever learn.

Deming went to Japan after WW2 because none of the US industries would listen to him. Serves them right.

Chevy/Toyota restructured the NUMMI plant in California back in the early 80's and shocked everyone with their quality - not to mention their profitability. Should have been a lesson learned... I only buy cars with proven reliability and maintainability, I work too hard for my money to waste it on companies that don't respect that. And I don't care if they are American or not.

The vast majority of Toyota automobiles are built and assembled in North America, they employ American Workers but have Japanese QC personnel-That Buy American crap is ridiculous-The Big 3 have had 100 years to improve their products, and GMC and Chrysler have taken the taxpayer's Money because of Mis-Management and ridiculous Bonus's for High Ranking Personnel-Buy a Toyota, and Never look back

This thread is interesting to me. I am driving a 91 Toyota Corolla. It has a slight oil leak and isn't real powerful. But It gets me where I am going. I guess it could go a lot farther mileagebwise. Need to start taking better care of her. It is an old enough car that I could probably rebuild the engine myself if something ever happened. Be good experience anyway As I have never rebuilt a car engine. Just lawnmower and weedeater engine.

I really need a truck though for hauling stuff though. Been watching for a used one. I have seen Ford Ranger, Chevy S10 but almost never see a small Toyota truck for sale. I guess I know why.

Former Master Tech from Lexus here. I have worked on primarily on Lexus vehicles for 12 years, but have seen too many issues with the Silverado, tahoe, escalade, sierra, yukon trucks, particularly with the 5.3 and 4.8 models when they have come through the shop. The consistent issues are with the rear main oil seal, and oil pan start to develop leaks with high mileage. The newer models 2014+ cant speak for. The tundras with the 4.7L are bullet proof. The Tundras 2007+ have the new 5.7 and those have had very little issues, but are not not as reliable as the 4.7l (some will develop small coolant leaks at the water pump over time.) The Tundra has had very little recalls compared to some other models, cant speak for GM. The GM parts are substantially cheaper to maintain as well as overall cost, but Tundras only really have normal wear and tear issues, (fluids, brakes, and tires.) Hope this helps. BTW i have a 2008 Toyota Tundra dual cab 4x4 with 98000 miles and no issues.

Im also a Master Tech and I agree. The 4.7s were bulletproof. Their only downside, from an owner's perspective, is the timing belt due every 100K...close to $1000 job. Still, I only heard of 1 failure and it was due to an owner never changing the oil and locked it up. As far as overall reliability is concerned, Toyota wins out.
I, however, am a biased GM truck owner. Ive had nothing but good experiences with them. Had a 94 GMC, drove it for a decade, and sold it with 275K on the clock still running strong. 7 years later it was towed into my shop with over 350K on it with a dead fuel pump. New fuel pump and she fired right up and drove away.
I currently own an 04 Yukon with 170K. The only things Ive done other than general maintenence, is an alternator and a water pump.
I like Chevy because they've been good to me, but if I had to choose another truck brand, it'd be Toyota or Dodge.

This thread is interesting to me. I am driving a 91 Toyota Corolla. It has a slight oil leak and isn't real powerful. But It gets me where I am going. I guess it could go a lot farther mileagebwise. Need to start taking better care of her. It is an old enough car that I could probably rebuild the engine myself if something ever happened. Be good experience anyway As I have never rebuilt a car engine. Just lawnmower and weedeater engine.

I really need a truck though for hauling stuff though. Been watching for a used one. I have seen Ford Ranger, Chevy S10 but almost never see a small Toyota truck for sale. I guess I know why.

I had an old Tercel I bought for $1,000. It used\leaked oil like yours but it was an almost exact 1 quart per tank of gas so it was easy to remember. Put new tires on it, drove it for a year and gave it to my mom. She drove it for 5 more years. It was a blast to drive (relatively of course). It also wasn't very powerful but it had a 4 speed and I could keep my foot right to the floor most of the time.

I have a 2004 Silverado. It has been a good truck, reliable, and mostly problem free. It rides like a dream.

It doesnt owe me a thing!

With that said, I'll never buy another Chevy again.

I have a 2004 Silverado. It has been a good truck, reliable, and mostly problem free. It rides like a dream.

It doesnt owe me a thing!

With that said, I'll never buy another Chevy again.

Why? Just curious. I just bought a Nissan Frontier and have no complaints about it but the dealer is putting the dipstick to me so I won't be buying another Nissan.

I'd buy a Toyota truck but I'd never buy a Prius. Mine had 2 key parts go in a 6 month period that cost approximately $8400.00. The ac/dc converter and the hydrid battery. Had about 150,000 miles on it at the time.

Bought it from my pops when the moved overseas couple years ago. But they said no major issues before that.

My dad has pretty much sold me on the Tundra for my next. His '08 just tripped 320K, w/ only minor maintenance, and is still going strong.

Why? Just curious. I just bought a Nissan Frontier and have no complaints about it but the dealer is putting the dipstick to me so I won't be buying another Nissan.

The fact that us Americans had to bail them out when things went to hell with the economy makes me really angry. I can't get past that!

Also, I have looked over Toyotas Tundra and Fords F150. From what I can see, they both are much better vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back