Tracking down L6?

since it's a tool steel does anyone know where I can find L6 preferably flat ground? Can't seem to find it anywhere. Appreciate the help!

LS Starrett (who make most of the precision ground steel on the market) don't offer L6 in flat stock, only drill rod. And even the drill rod isn't the easiest to find.
As far as I know L6 is only available in mill finish.

And forget saw blades as a source. I've never had one test as L6, they're usually 1080 or so

It's not precision ground, but I got some from Niagra Steel. It's from Republic, not Crucible or R.D.S

Looks to be tough to find.
Isn't 8670 supposed to be close? Alpha Knife Supply has that.

None in stock. Or, at least not the 23 size combinations I looked at.

The conventional wisdom in the past was that flat L6 stock was not only hard to find but a lot more expensive than round. Is the Republic stuff similar to R.D.S. in that it doesn't have the moly? Russ Andrews told me a couple of months back that he found some, albeit in round bar, that also had a pinch of vanadium added.

L6 drill rod is available at least. If it comes down to it and you really want L6, drill rod is very nice to work with.

Advantage , and Cincinnatti Tool Steel had stock last time I talked to them.
Minimum flat stock thickness was 1/2".

2 pieces 1/2 X 1 1/4 X 36 were $114 shipped.......

I think Hudson Specialty Metals has it in flat stock, but you' gave to check.

The conventional wisdom in the past was that flat L6 stock was not only hard to find but a lot more expensive than round. Is the Republic stuff similar to R.D.S. in that it doesn't have the moly? Russ Andrews told me a couple of months back that he found some, albeit in round bar, that also had a pinch of vanadium added.
The republic L6 has Moly. Ive still got about 10 pounds of it left but its all in 3/4"x2"x5" chunks and has to be broke down..It air hardens to a good degree for sure

The republic L6 has Moly. Ive still got about 10 pounds of it left but its all in 3/4"x2"x5" chunks and has to be broke down..It air hardens to a good degree for sure
That's right. Im kinda remembering that the first batch Aldo got a long time ago was the Republic stuff and his recent looked more like R.D.S.

2 pieces 1/2 X 1 1/4 X 36 were $114 shipped.......
Russ, that is lower priced compared to other L6 flat we have access to. It is, admittedly, still an inconvenient size for the stock removal folks. Have you done that project we were talking about? Also, is it available in other widths? if i remember our conversation correctly, I suspect you may have bought 1.25 inch for a specific reason.

Joe...I believe they have other widths, as well as other thicknesses. L6 does laminate easily, and allows for
very clear differentiation between it and other steels. The project is otherwise on hold till another project is completed.
BTW...the L6 from Advantage is listed (cert) as having .36% Mo and a trace (.020) of V.

Last edited:
When I contacted Niagra about the L^ they sent me a mill chart on 3/8/17. The specs are: C-.72, Mn-.54, P-.009, S-.012, Si-.24, Cu-.17, Ni-1.29, Cr-.62, Mo-.22, Al-.03, V-.005. They quoted me .170/.176" x 6" x 48" for $125 and .207/.227" x 19" x 35" for $332. They also had a .365/.400" x 18"x 32", but I didn't get a price for that.

Last time I bought L6 I got a stick of 1" round from crucible and it was not bad priced but that was a few moons ago.

Hoping to find some plate to make a few tomahawks :/ need something in the 4"x18" in 1/4-3/8 thick. If I could Forge I would be all over the drill rod. I like w1 too but sadly thickest it goes is 3/4"

Hoping to find some plate to make a few tomahawks :/ need something in the 4"x18" in 1/4-3/8 thick. If I could Forge I would be all over the drill rod. I like w1 too but sadly thickest it goes is 3/4"
Have you considered 3/8 inch 80CrV2?

Back