traditional knives in movies

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
Can anyone identify some knives from famous knife scenes? The automatic John Wayne used in Big Jake to "prompt" the freedom of the sheep herder? The knife used as a throwing knife in The Magnificent Seven by James Coburn? The stiletto used by Roman Polaski in Chinatown to give Jack Nicholson a third nostril? Any other memorable knife related scenes with a traditional looking knife?

Clint Eastwood uses some sort of Italian auto in Dirty Harry (tapes it to his leg).
In the Walking Dead (TV series) Morgan uses a Buck 110 to cut Rick's bonds.

I'll think of some more and edit my post later. :thumbup:

Thought of some more...

Ace in Stand By Me has an Italian auto
I believe Owen Wilson used a SAK in Behind Enemy Lines

Last edited:
New show called Longmire. Sheriff Longmire uses a Buck 110 all the time.
Good show by the way.

Darn, I was gonna mention that one.

Indy uses a German-looking lockback in Raiders of the Lost Ark... Sam Elliott in Conagher and Robert Duvall in Broken Trail both use what look to be stockmen knives to whittle. And John Hurt threatens the protagonist with one in The Proposition.

I remember watching the dreaded "Deliverance" The scene where one of the red neck hill-billys has one of the poor guys up against a tree, and he is holding a 13inch Solingen Stag Handled Bowie to his throat. Whew...that movie....

Eastwood seems to work in a good amount of pocket knives inhis movies. In Josie Wales, he has what looks like some sort of Texas Jack style of folder that he's cutting off a chew of tobacco with in a few scenes. In Magnum Force, he uses what looks like some kind of spear point blade like an old Kamp King, to dig out a bullet from a door frame on the police shooting range. And just the other night, High Plains Drifter was on, and actor Jeffery Lewis, as the head bad scuz guy, is whittling on a stick with what looks like the large clip blade of a stockman or Texas Jack. Of course being a despicable character, he ends up shoving the sharpened stick through a guys throat. There's a lesson in practical/tactical in there someplace, but I'm not sure what it is.

Eastwood movies are good for knife sightings. Usually traditional. I guess you could say an Italian style switch blade is traditional for Italians?

Carl.

Several months ago, I had to (!!!) to go cinema with my wife and watching "Titanic" in 3D. I can remember that Mr. DiCaprio won a pocket knife at a card game. I seemed to be a Jackknife with sheepfoot mainblade and a bail on the handle. Later in the film you could see Mr. DiCaprio giving a pen a new tip while making a draw of Mrs. Winslet.

Just for a sidenote: I didn´t want to go there volunteerly... I made a resistance with hands and feet, but nothing helped. ;) ;)

BTW: Films with Mr. Eastwood are much cooler, than any Titanic could ever be :D

Kind regards
Andi

I believe Robert Mitchum uses some kind of horn handled flick (auto) knife repeatedly in Night of the Hunter. Masterful performance as psychopath religious nutter:D

Cannot recall the movie's title, but in it, Cameron Mitchell carries and uses a bone handled Kabar Grizzly automatic. He eventually gave the knife to a boy in the movie.

I suspect there are some fine collectible knives in studio property rooms.

In "Big Jake", John Wayne uses a Hubertus automatic...he opens it, throws and sticks it in a tree and has the "bad guy" cut the sheepherder loose. One of my favorite movies!

Ron

Billy the kid in chisum uses a big Barlow. In Laredo Reese uses a foldin hunter type knife. In urban cowboy Scott green uses a sodbuster. But have y'all noticed in westerns that everybody carries their knives in their vest or coat pockets!

Rememberd a few more! Scott glens dad in my Heroes have always been cowboys, he had a large stockman whittling with and in true grit cog burn uses a large folding hunter to suck out the poison in Maggie's arm. Fetus from gun smoke uses a granddaddy Barlow, in dances with wolves Kevin Costner uses a worn granddaddy Barlow. In crocodile Dundee 2 one of the Colombian bad guys uses a buck 110 to threaten Walter Riley. Keifer Sutherland uses a 110 in the cowboy way.

I just watched the new True Grit again, and there are several traditional-style bowies on various character's gunbelts or down in boot-tops. There are also several Italian-style switchblades in Secondhand Lions... Another great film.

In "Big Jake", John Wayne uses a Hubertus automatic...he opens it, throws and sticks it in a tree and has the "bad guy" cut the sheepherder loose. One of my favorite movies!

Ron

My favorite John Wayne movie. My grandfather actually used a combination of Big Jake and Rooster Cogburn for a John Wayne lookalike contest, and won the contest, when I was a little kid!

Bought the DVD series Hatfields and McCoys, a great series all around. Not done watching it yet even! Saw some bowie work, and a few barlows. Both were used for tomfoolery and skullduggery, but still, knife content nonetheless.

True Grit (old and new, I've come around to liking the new one), Dances with Wolves, and Second Hand Lions, are all good movies. Going to have to watch DWW again to see Colonel Dunbars barlow.

Several months ago, I had to (!!!) to go cinema with my wife and watching "Titanic" in 3D. I can remember that Mr. DiCaprio won a pocket knife at a card game. I seemed to be a Jackknife with sheepfoot mainblade and a bail on the handle. Later in the film you could see Mr. DiCaprio giving a pen a new tip while making a draw of Mrs. Winslet.

Just for a sidenote: I didn´t want to go there volunteerly... I made a resistance with hands and feet, but nothing helped. ;) ;)

BTW: Films with Mr. Eastwood are much cooler, than any Titanic could ever be :D

Kind regards
Andi

I remember in Titanic that one of the crewmen near the end is cutting rope with a very simple friction folder. Also, in History's Hatfields and McCoys (with Kevin Costner, great series), one of the McCoy's, after having his arm broken by Ellison Hatfield, takes out an elephant's toenail/ sunfish knife and opens it with his teeth (Ouch!) and stabs Ellison with it.

Connor

Last edited:
Back