• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Traditional Parang / Ahti Vaara Puukko / Cold Steel All Terrain Hunter

Daniel L

Gold Member
Update Ahti Vaara Paulo still for sale, others sold.

A Ray Mears-style Parang - like the SAS Survival Handbook!
If you’ve read the SAS Survival Handbook by John Wiseman, then this is as close that I’ve found!
This is not a tourist piece – it was specially designed to take a traditional style (duku changdong) and make it more durable and useful in multiple climates rather than the just south east Asian jungle. Made by a Malaysian blacksmith in Perak who makes tools for villagers as everyday tools (i.e. if they didn’t work he’d be out of business). Steel is 5160 with forged finish and convex ground flats.
dscf8443copy.jpg

Specifically:
- Epoxy sealed at the tang shoulders / handle entry for increased strength and no water entry
- Double pins through handle and tang for max security
- Larger handle for grip with gloves. “Goats foot” style prevents slippage
- Strong convex ground to a sharp but durable edge. Estimated 56-58 RC based on my feel using stones on my other parang.
- Thick 6mm (a little over .25”) with minor distal taper (about 4.5-5mm near tip) for strength and chopping power

dscf8440copy.jpg

dscf8447copy.jpg

dscf8439copy.jpg

Fitting sheath
dscf8438copy.jpg

Drain Hole
dscf8437copy.jpg

Will not fall out!
dscf8433copy.jpg

12” blade, 7” handle.
Only weighs 22.5 oz for the parang, but with most of the mass forward (like a kukri). UNLIKE a kukri, you have multiple safe grips: holding the blade at the narrow (unsharpened) part to do fine work, at the metal collar for light slashing work and far back for max chopping power.
dscf8444copy.jpg

Sheath is full wood with a drain hole. Very strong and heavy duty. Definitely well made… and the parang locks into the sheath via the collar. Thumb push off point built into the sheath!
Price is SOLD

A couple of bushcrafty knives:

1. Ahti Vaara scandi
2. Cold Steel All Terrain Hunter in Carbon V

1. Ahti Vaara - made in Finland

This is a stout little bushcraft knive from Ahti (who make the Kellam Wild Finn line). It’s a great all rounder since the blade is “pointier” with more taper than a typical puukko.
The carbon steel blade is about 3 5/8" (92 mm) long, .75" wide and .129" thick.

dscf8420copy.jpg

dscf8419copy.jpg

dscf8417copy.jpg

The handle is nicely contoured which locks your hand in the power grip, and chest grips. Handle is stained Arctic Birch with medium grit finish. The 4 1/4" handle suit small or medium sized hands. If you have big mitts this is NOT the knife for you!
Sheath is good quality leather with a hard plastic insert for safety.

It’s unused, except that when I got it the tip was 0.5mm off so I used a bit of sandpaper on a mousepad to touch it lightly and you can see “scratches” in the polished bevel. But otherwise brand new!
It’s a scandi bevel with a micro convex bevel and you could even thin it down more. In it’s current form, it is extremely sharp but also durable.

Price is $60 including shipping worldwide.
(I’d keep the knife, but I need to thin my collection!!)

2. Cold Steel All Terrain Hunter - made in USA
A well missed discontinued Carbon V classic, full flat grind elliptical blade with kraton handle. Very good condition – only lightly used, and sharpened - coating minor wear, no chips or dings in the blade. Never been batoned ☺

Blade is 3/32” so it is a great slicer and holds its edge. 4.5” blade, weight 4.5 oz.
Price is SOLD

dscf8044copy.jpg

dscf8045copy.jpg

• Payment by Paypal + 3%
  • Please post an unconditional “I’ll take it” and then PM me.
  • Any questions you can email Daniel “AT” proedge.co.nz
  • Do note that I am based in Singapore, so items to the USA typically take up to 10 working days.

Last edited:
Back