Which steel?

• O1

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • San Mai III

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally to prevent rust before I clean my new knives with a paper towel slightly soaked with extra virgin olive oil rubbing it over the whole blade

I let it rest for 5 minutes then with a cotton cloth I repeatedly remove the oil in it until it is perfectly polished and stains spots

The cold-steel ghurka kukri O-1 (new) has just been lubricated with olive oil the blade is perfectly shiny without any stain
DSCN0156_zpsuyw6wnok.jpg

DSCN0155_zpsx2jlqzxv.jpg

RSCN0164_zps1w9ndfmg.jpg

Five months I use and clean with this olive oil this cheap carbon steel knife.
DSCN0166_zpsmk83rz04.jpg

I just ran the rewinding manually the tip of the knife is dirty
DSCN0167_zpsw982w1sm.jpg

Last edited:
Less is more when olive oil is used. Stuff goes rancid.
Years ago I bought an old 2 screw spyderco millie, owner ''stored'' it in a thick coating of olive oil. No bueno.
Olive oil definitely works, however there are far better options.

:)I agree there are better products of olive oil for carbon steel lubrication.:)

The acidity released by a microscopic amount of extra virgin olive oil in decomposition is not sufficient to destroy the metal coating

Olive oil is rich in natural antioxidants, this prevents the formation of oxide (stains) on the blade I use a tiny quantity of olive oil to polish the metal to the touch the blade is not greasy

Last edited:
No patina yet, thats it in its unused condition. Its just the way the light is hitting it. not sure yet what i'll use to patina, something natural for sure. Anyone know a good way to get the goo out of the sheath?

I'm curious, did your knife arrive in a blue box or black? Black box is the newest and are just starting to appear on Trail Masters. Has the new logo Anywhere/Anytime.

I've pounded on my TM san mai and it's been great. That convex edge really chops. But it was expensive. Tough to beat the performance to dollar ratio of the 01. Awesome knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back