Training Options in the Las Vegas Area..?

Vampire Gerbil

Gone, but not forgotten. RIP Dave
Platinum Member
Howdy!
It's me again.

It's well past time that I got some kinda hands on training from someone that knows their business.
I'm an armed guard that's basically doing bodyguard work in Vegas, and other then my instincts, there's not much that I know about dealing with violent persons. I've been doing fine so far, but it's be nice having some skills to back up my horribly grotesque intimidational face, body language and vocal skills.
(I watched COPS since the beginning, so I'm pretty good at that "Do as I say, you filthy evildooer!" sorta talkin')
:D

Yes, I carry a firearm and I'm quite proficient with it (I aced the qualification, like that means diddlysquat in real life, but challenging gangbangers to duels seems to be a crummy choice... at least for now snicker-giggle, etc. and I've also done exceptionally well at that FATS thing, according to the guy that ran it at Nevada Pistol Academy, but I realize that if I have to draw my weapon in anger, I'll be screaming like a schoolgirl and soiling various things beneath me. hey, Dirty Harry DID say, "A man's gotta know his limitations", right?) but there's a much likelier chance that I'll have to deal with the person with hands/non lethal options.

I carry an ASP, pepper spray and a SOCOM with me, and THINK I know what to do with 'em, but I'm realistic enough to realize that I need someone to show me my options. The SOCOM's just there cuz I'm a knifeknut... the chance of me going for that in self defense is pretty nill... things would have to have gone completely to hell for me to use a knife with all the other options at hand. (It's just a really neat-o knife tho! :) )

I'm also looking for hand to hand instruction... not that I wanna be beating up on people, but just some defensive moves that would end a confrontation in the least amount of time with the least amount of damage to the person I'm dealing with.

Last fight I was involved in was 20 years ago. I won that, but only cuz I was a completely pissed off 21 year old who'd just had a knife pulled on him by a shoplifter. I was too dumb to realize I coulda been hurt. But the years have made me older... not much wiser..heh heh... but knowing some grappling techniqus might come in handy for me.

Anyhoo, if there's a one-stop-source for these needs of mine, located in or around Las vegas (that's in Nevada, by the way) I'd surly appreciate some information. My hours are completely upside down as I work 5 nights a week, graveyard shifts, so flexible scheduling would be helpful as well.

Thanks much!
VG

PS - Sorry for the annoying commentary that went along with this post, but the truth of the matter is that I haven't had a completely coherrent thought since 1957.... and I was born in 1960.

VG,

Check out the link in my sig here -- SG FIVE. I'll be out in Vegas this Feb 1-5 for the SHOT show, and Mark Burnell, the CEO, will also be there, along with many members of the team. They may be able to point you in some good directions. This coming October, we'll be holding the TAG (Training and Gear) Extreme expo for LEO, military, SAR folks, as well as many courses for enthusiasts and security professionals like you.

There's a rumor that Chris Caracci is going to be conducting training at the TAG show, too! (if I have my way :D) I'm working on him and Andy to get it to happen -- it would be an honor to have CJ there. CJ is a good one to ask about where to train, if he can't come to Las Vegas weekly to conduct your private lessons ... <g> Andy Prisco handles all of CJ's training coordination, so he's a good one to ask as well about options -- especially where and when CJ will doing trainings on a variety of subjects.

Anyway, we can hook up in Feb -- maybe we can help you ...

Best,

Brian.

Hi Brian,
Checking out SGFive now. If you're going to have a table/whatever at SHOT, I'll definitely be seeing you.
I'm looking forward to the show and now it looks like I might even get something out of it, other than just envy at the stuff I can't afford to buy!
Thanks much!
VG

Copis, thanks.
A friend gave me a certificate for a 4 day course at Front Sight, but I've yet to use it. It's on file over there, just waiting for me to take the time off and take the course.
That's also on my list of things to do in 2002.
Thanks,
VG

Back