Trophy Room - Hunting and Fishing Pics

Gobbler down and in the pot....

h3XTN57.jpg

HK, (and others) what are your techniques for cooking wild turkey? I've heard a few tricks, but still nervous to try it for myself.

You can bake them just as you would a store bought turkey, but most of the time we crock pot them so that they cook slow and are more tender that way. I think my wife adds some chicken broth and water to keep it moist and add some extra flavor. They do tend to be a bit dry when baked.

We cooked this one several hours in the crock pot, then sliced it and ate it with rice, some spring asparagus from the ditch bank, and a little gravy over the meat. Also, with the big mature gobblers, the breast is good, but the rest can be a crap shoot. If you try to cook the whole thing, my advice is to do the breast separately just in case.

We have also had the breast smoked at the local butcher (need my own smoker!!) and I thought it was really good that way, more as a 'snack' type meat rather than a meal.

We slice the breast up in to thin strips, then wrap around jalapeño or Serrano (I prefer the heat of these) pepper slices, then bacon wrap with a toothpick. Soak in Zesty Italian dressing over night, REMOVE from marinade before cooking, and grill or Bake. (Trust me, REMOVE from dressing, I got several folks sick including myself from baking in the juices! Was not a good Thanksgiving) I prefer to grill them.
This will still leave just a bit of the gamey flavor, which I prefer, if you don't I've always heard to soak it in buttermilk before preparing to cook.

It's so fun when they bust those top water plugs :thumbsup:

I couldn't get any decent bass to bite, but we stacked up some good rainbows.

I missed 5 tonight. Tried a weedless frog and they were crushing it but I couldnt get a hookset to save my life

Oh man, that's brutal. Are you using a weedless hook with the wire protector, or setting it up so that the rubber of the frog covers the tip of the hook? I always have trouble getting a good set the latter way.

I had so many nice fish get loose right at the bank this trip :oops: There was a band of debris about four foot wide around the edge of the lake from the heavy run off, and when you'd try to play them through that if they weren't hooked really well they were gone. You had to let them fight until they were totally played out and then try to skid them across easy and hope for no flopping! Man it's heartbreaking to have a good fish slide back in just when you get your hands on it :eek: :confused: :mad: :(

Ym1NnDc.jpg

ua3ZaT0.jpg

QgQn24m.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks bud. I'm usually happy when they're as long as the trc, let alone the steel heart :D

You fellas are braver than I. I only take a mora or a CS "Survival edge" on the water. I would be to nervous to carry an expensive knife over water. Hey Riz! Riz! You ever catch Snakeheads on that river? I desperately want to participate on a Snakehead tourney!

Nice hard knocks!! That's a great haul right there, REAL good eatin I'll bet

My wife is pretty handy with the oven in the trailer (or any other oven for that matter). She baked a few with lemon and they were great. :)

You fellas are braver than I. I only take a mora or a CS "Survival edge" on the water. I would be to nervous to carry an expensive knife over water.

A mora would have been a good choice for sure. You got any walleye or northern pictures, MM? I've been missing catching pike down here.

Minnesota Man Minnesota Man

The snakeheads havent made it up to my end of the river yet, but down around DC they are getting pretty big. I have been looking into setting my compound bow up for bowfishing. People are shooting multiples in a day. Looks like fun and it is DELICIOUS. My buddy caught one and brought me some the he deep fried and tossed in a Thai peanut sauce.

Last edited:
My wife is pretty handy with the oven in the trailer (or any other oven for that matter). She baked a few with lemon and they were great. :)

My name is a bit misleading, I moved to Maryland a few years ago. I grew up in Dakota county, MN. I don't have any (digital) pics left

A mora would have been a good choice for sure. You got any walleye or northern pictures, MM? I've been missing catching pike down here.

7DDF6A20-C299-4E1E-A012-7A42C1563404_zpscpy6wdcm.jpg

A little night time topwater action in the pond across the street from my house!

I'm finally getting out for a real night's fishing tonight. I've had the nephews out a couple times but they've been brief little trips with no luck. I'm packing up enough to spend the night out.

Grog......Pics!!!!!

Minnesota Man... where in Maryland?

Back