Trophy Room - Hunting and Fishing Pics

Two little shovelnose that were about as much fun to pull in as clumps of grass and a nosy beaver were the highlights of my night. Good to get away for a night though.

grog? Grog? GROG??? :eek:

He's alive!!!

Well, he didn't catch much to brag about so as useless as ever!

Welcome back Mofracky!

Two little shovelnose that were about as much fun to pull in as clumps of grass and a nosy beaver were the highlights of my night. Good to get away for a night though.

Shovelnose sturgeon? I haven't caught those since I was a teenager. We'd go over to the Missouri River in Montana, or sometimes the Marias, and load up on them. There were some pretty good Ling there too.

Last edited:
grog? Grog? GROG??? :eek:

He's alive!!!

Well, he didn't catch much to brag about so as useless as ever!

Welcome back Mofracky!

Yeah, definitely not a record night on the river, good to get out there though.

Shovelnose sturgeon? I haven't caught those since I was a teenager. We'd go to over to the Missouri River in Montana, or sometimes the Marias, and load up on them. There were some pretty good Ling there too.

Yep, shovelnose sturgeon. I hadn't seen one before, much less caught one. One of them was close to two feet long if I had to guess but it didn't look like there was much to it. They definitely didn't put up much of a fight.

I'd never even heard of ling before, just looked them up. That is one wacky looking fish.

Yeah, definitely not a record night on the river, good to get out there though.

Yep, shovelnose sturgeon. I hadn't seen one before, much less caught one. One of them was close to two feet long if I had to guess but it didn't look like there was much to it. They definitely didn't put up much of a fight.

I'd never even heard of ling before, just looked them up. That is one wacky looking fish.

Hey, sturgeon ain't half bad! Maybe you can salvage some of that golden caviar out of it, if you pet it well and make it grow to say 10+ feet in the next couple of years :D

Ling are strange. We had them in the Kootenai River in NW Montana too, but the biggest ones we caught came from the east side of the state. They just kinda grab onto the bait and hang on, lol. But they eat pretty good.

Those shovelnose will run bigger than that in some places Grog. Most of the ones we caught were in the 36" - 40" range, and they've got some substance to them at that size. I believe the record at that time was something like 48" long, so they don't get huge. And yeah, they're not the best fighters, nowhere near a white sturgeon.

ETA: Found an old picture on the computer (my family) and snapped a shot of it, a string of shovelnose.

WYv7NHG.jpg

Last edited:
I went fishing for Northern Snakeheads today in Mattowoman Creek. Its a tidal tributary of the Potomac. Didnt see or catch one, but did see a ton of long nose gar. Biggest one I saw was about 4 feet long.

I was scrolling up the page and saw that landscape picture first.
I immediately knew it was from Lars. :)
Great pictures as always!

I was just going to post exactly the same thing. I didn't even look at at who posted the fish pictures and thought, "OH! L LarsL is at it again!!" Beautiful.

That last picture of the flowers is INSANE. The colors are so varied

Some Tenkara fishing at Grand Teton National Park last weekend...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Wildflowers were great, too...

108A5238.jpg

Those arr some NICE fish! Rrally big for tenkara in my opinion. I have been fishing tenkara in Yellowstone dor the last few weeks and mostly hook 6-8" brookies on a good day. But still have a blast. I have a few more months in the park becouse of work so we will see if it improves.

Do you live in the area or were you just passing through? If you live out here i would love to get some tenkara tips about the area.

I was just going to post exactly the same thing. I didn't even look at at who posted the fish pictures and thought, "OH! L LarsL is at it again!!" Beautiful.

I 'third' this :thumbsup: Scrolled past the landscape shot and got blinded by the gorgeous colors, almost dropped my lunch. L LarsL knows how to catch the eye! (and a pretty nice fish as well)

Got to spend a little time in the hills today.

A few bulls in velvet

zcW6Vf5.jpg

And saw a couple of bear. We were able to get a picture of this one although he was probably 500 yards off. My boy held the binoculars braced against the truck and I snapped this with my cell. Never tried that before, but it worked, kinda :)

9NPSZld.jpg

We also found a bear marking tree. I snapped a couple of pictures of it. The marks in the picture with the knife, where there are three claw marks, can be seen in both pictures. I stuck the RMD in above my head, about seven feet high. But in the picture without the knife, you can still see the three marks, but there's marks higher than that yet by another foot and a half to two feet. The height of the marks and the width of the spread suggests a big bear. That yellow pine is about six-foot through.

1klcL6k.jpg

6eHvAM4.jpg

You must have used the "Impressionist" filter for the bear picture. I like the way it turned out!
Nice set of claw marks. I wouldn't camp near that tree if I had a choice.

You must have used the "Impressionist" filter for the bear picture. I like the way it turned out!

Thanks, it did come out kinda cool! No filter though. The binoculars are 10x and when I zoomed way up with the camera on the cell it went grainy. My photo skills are on par with 'even a blind sow roots out an acorn once in awhile' :D

Back