True Temper Kelly Perfect DB

My next project is a Kelly Perfect Double Bit from my Dad's barn in Arkansas. I remember using this one when I was young.

It's in okay shape, it's been abused and has some wear but I think it will clean up nicely. It's been dirty for a long time so in the AR humidity there is some rust pitting but nothing compared to what I've seen some of you guys bring back to life.

A few pics.

db2.JPG

Not sure what dad was thinking here, those are horseshoe nails
db4.JPG

A day in the vinegar bath always makes the shop smell nice.
db1.JPG

db6.JPG

I think it's really cool how different in color the tempered part of the blade is. Makes me wish I would have paid attention in chemistry class!
db7.JPG

Some wire wheel time.
db9.JPG

db8.JPG

db10.JPG

db11.JPG

Here is it with Dad's other axe, I need to get some handles now.
db12.JPG

I've hung a couple axes, my first try was a Collins I posted in the show your axe thread. I hung it upside down, that was embarrassing. Then I did a little scout hatchet. I'm almost ready for these guys. Might have to do a couple more thrift store axes before I do Dad's axes as I want these to be nice.

Thanks for looking. Cleaning up old tools sure is fun. These both need a bit more elbow grease and good edges before I hang then.

Looking really good so far. They have cleaned up well. Its going to take a bit of doing to remove those chips in the double bit, but there's lots of hard steel there so all good. Just lots of work if doing it by hand.
It also looks like your dad did the right thing with that double bit seeing that one edge looks busted and the other ok. Would suggest he kept the good edge for chopping and the damaged edge for the bad work. roots / times where you have a poor backdrop/poor chopping block etc
looking forward to seeing them sharpened and hung.
cheers

are the newer kelly perfects the ones with the 3.2 on the "logo" side of the head or is it the other way around, iv been wondering

Newer Kelly Perfect's have eye ridges, and are stamped "3 1/2" instead of 3.2. Perfects without eye ridges are the oldest.

Nothing to be embarrassed about, there is a learning curve with everything, I have 2-3 right now that I will rehang to to the artristy on this site.

quinton i was just wondering why i have a KP with 3.2 on the opposite side of the branded side and also, if these are 3.2s why do both of mine weigh 3

Last edited:
What vintage are we calling "newer?" I think this one is at least as old as the 1970s.

The latest Kelly Perfects are made by Barco. I don't know if they still use eye ridges. They don't advertise eye ridges.

There's a thread on here about eye ridges. I don't recall the exact chronology but I think they date from about the early 1960's to the early 1980's.

Last edited:
quinton i was just wondering why i have a KP with 3.2 on the opposite side of the branded side and also, if these are 3.2s why do both of mine weigh 3
I don't know about the weight stamp on the opposite side, but your 3.2 heads could be worn a little.

What vintage are we calling "newer?" I think this one is at least as old as the 1970s.
I'm just saying that KP heads with eye ridges, and or 3 1/2 lb. weight stamp are newer than 3.2 stamped heads without ridges. The heads are still vintage, just some more so than others.

the double bit haft looks salvageable to me, with a sanding, new wedge and maybe cross wedeges where the nails were, and of course linseed oïl!

I'm wondering this as well. My Kelly Perfect DB has the 3.2 and logo on opposite sides of the head.

Back