Trying to decide on a Kuhkri

My current options that I am considering are:

Ka-Bar Kuhkri at around $50
Condor Heavy Duty at around $68 (right now my preferred pick)
Saw an older BK Kuhkri BK21 but kinda pricey at $130+ ranges, at this price range I would probably get a Condor KTact

So I guess I'm leaning between the Ka-Bar or Condor HD. It would be nice if BK got back into the sub $100 kuhkri market. I really like the longer blade on the BK21.

Tomars have the BK21 for $115.

I have the Condor you speak of.

I had a condor kukri machete -- liked it a lot better than the CS kukri machete.
have a CS ghurka lite around here somewhere - and a full thickness CS ghurka - both chop pretty well.
have not played with the Condor heavy -- but i loved my Pack Golok - it could out-chop just about anything else i have used.
the BK21 is really good at chopping green wood, but it bites too deep too easily and tends to stick in dried wood - at least in my hands.

I'm looking for something more true Kuhkri like rather than machete. I don't have any condor knives per say, so I am still leaning towards the Condor. I'm going to be making the purchase with jungle gift cards so other sellers won't be an option. I use my travel hotel funds to get gift cards to fund my knife addiction, LOL

The Condor heavy duty kukri is a good little chopper. It's 1/4" thick, and comes with a convexed edge.

DDamit panoz77 you made me git outta bed a dig mine out for this shot:D A little size perspective.

Thanks Tanker, that Ka-bar is definitely a big boy, it's really between that and the Condor HD right now.

The Kabar Kukri is a surprisingly great chopper! It is a shame they don't get more attention.

I'm sure it doesn't help but personally as long as it has Kabar on it, I feel I can trust it :)

I haven't gotten around to using mine yet but it feels extremely well built. I have some small pines and alot of oak limbs that came down over this winter.I want to do some impromptu Ka-bar/Becker choppa testing and documenting it on these very pages.:)

Fox knives makes several kukris. I have their extreme kukri & gurkha kukri, it's a beast.
Not a big fan of the Ontario kukri, mine has slight handle play. It's on the lighter side as well.
Still find myself going to the CS Gurkha time after time!

I always wondered if the made in Taiwan sticker held it back.

let's not be a khukri-ist except where it matters...

KLOs (khukri like objects) like the KaBar there and even my favorite machax are not reallllly khukris.

a proper edge is part of what makes them what they are. the shape. the handle. the spine (flat as can be to the tip, imho)

HI makes a proper khukri (of course), the bonecutters by Praj are also QUITE exceptional

haven't held the condor khukri, but it looks like a specific type that HI made for a while (of the many types), somewhat like an exaggerated AK

i personally prefer GRS / Bonecutter styles, which are broader and leafier, as well as the foxy folly, and even more exotic ones :D

I like the Ka-Bar khukri.
Especially if you find a good used one for cheap, worth every cent.
I bought mine new but on sale years ago and never regret it, even though it doesn't see much use these days, I'll be hanging on to it.
I just needed a sturdy brush beater so it more than satisfied that role. If I were specifically looking for a khukri, I might check out something more traditional, but for a KLO it's right decent.

I got bit by the Kukri bug a while back and have bought a few since then. I really like the Panawals which are full tang and pinned. The raw Panawals have the blackened blades and are supposed to have a better edge because of no polishing which heats up the blade losing some of its temper. The three on the right I bought from Khukri House in Katmandu, Nepal. The monster on very right is the "No Mercy" and has a 18 inch blade and will give your arm a serious workout. I think they use these for chopping cows heads off in some ritual or something. I bought the "Vakra" from Zombie Tools and it is worth the cost to me anyways. Awesome blade and I'm trying to decide my next purchase from them. The one on the left is my first Kukri and I bought that over ten years ago and it is a traditional design. The smallest Panawal is the one I carry the most. The way they designed the sheath makes it either carry straight down or cross draw on your left side because of the leather loop being just long and strong enough to flex and it is lightweight with a 7 inch blade.

I field dressed a couple of deer this past fall with the second from the right and it cut right through the ribs and lost no sharpness at all. I was surprised. I will use the smaller one this fall.

There is just something about how these Nepalese blades are made that attracts me. Hand forged from leaf springs and forged in a very basic way but yet they are surprisingly well made and sharp. :eek:

I tend to prefer parangs & bolos over khukuri, but to each their own.

Back