IMG_1013_zpsf5a874e2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1010_zps5bc80b79.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1006_zps93f70927.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1002_zps2745531e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The sword is 22" overall 17" blade. It appears to be brass handle. with many markings

That is a "faschinenmesser", or "Fascine knife", and is essentially a Prussian infantry machete, primarily used as a fortification building and brush clearing tool, but it could also be used as a close quarters defense sword.

All of the marks on the guard and scabbard throat piece represent regimental inventory markings. The faschienenmesser and scabbard are not original to each other, as shown by the disparate markings.

The "base" model is the M1845, but the handle grooves would indicate that it is what is the most frequently encountered version, referred to as an M1864. Many consider it to be the last Imperial Prussian version. It could have been made any time between 1864 and the end of the Prussian Empire, around 1919. The manufacturer's mark could narrow the time frame.

The manufacturer is most likely stamped on the blade's ricasso, although very occasionally it is somewhere on the guard.

Wow! I got it from a guy who said he got it from his grandpa. He thought it was Civil War but I thought maybe it was Mexican. I don't think there is a manufacturer mark on the blades ricasso. It is just plain no marks on blade. Thank you!

The marks may be very faint. Take another look with light at an angle to make shadows.

I'm having a brain freeze as I can't remember what the "T" stands for, but the "F" refers to "fusiliers", which translates to Light Infantry. An "R" would mean "regiment". Most of the ones I have seen have been on the order of "x.R.A.y.z", representing "X Artillery Regiment Y Company Z individual item number".

Scratch outs, X outs, Line outs - indicate that a weapon was transferred from 1 unit to another. Yours looks like the scabbard traveled a bit as it has 2 unit marking scratch outs and the sword on has an original ID.

The marks on the guard -

"something W"
over

most likely stands for King William I and the year 1868. King William I ruled Prussia from 1861 to 1888, so a M1864 would fit right in.

Fascine knives seem pretty cool, a much dressier alternative to the machete. Is anyone making a serviceable fascine knife these days, aside from custom jobbies?

Back