Off Topic UK knife laws

So I have an acquaintance that shoots photos for police department in the UK. All of the photos are usually upbeat but today, I saw some advertising for a new program they're pushing. Being a knife knut, it made me just shake my head in disbelief. Rather that post his photos without permission, here's the link.
https://flic.kr/p/UBcU7T
And
https://flic.kr/p/UxycmY
Their County, their laws but man...i couldn't stand living under such an emasculated society. Hope this is the right forum for this. Seemed like just general knife discussion.

They're apparently having some serious problems with knife crime right now in lower class areas (slums). I assume they are trying to stop the rising escalation caused by the idea that a knife is a defensive weapon and the concept of having to match the 'enemy' in gang disputes which has been the cause of the recent rise in knife crime. The knives in question are usually kitchen knives. Incidentally I understand that there are plenty places throughout the US similarly 'emasculated' in that carrying fixed bladed knives are illegal?

Incidentally nice blog. Good photography makes a huge difference. (I'm a pro photog).

They're apparently having some serious problems with knife crime right now in lower class areas (slums). I assume they are trying to stop the rising escalation caused by the idea that a knife is a defensive weapon and the concept of having to match the 'enemy' in gang disputes which has been the cause of the recent rise in knife crime. The knives in question are usually kitchen knives. Incidentally I understand that there are plenty places throughout the US similarly 'emasculated' in that carrying fixed bladed knives are illegal?
Well the argument is anyways going to be the same. If you out law something like a knife, the only people that are going to have them are the criminals. My friend who lives there says even sharpened sticks and screw drivers (if you don't show need) can land you in jail. So if you are approached by a guy or guys with bad intent in the UK that plan on doing you bodily harm and you're say 60-70 years old you're just expected to die for the greater good? Heck even a weak male, outnumbered male or female is just expected to do his or her best with thier hands when confronted by someone or several someone's with the intent of doing you harm with their knife, club, sharpened stick, screw driver, etc Al. I could go on but I think this may get pushed to another forum or closed all together if it goes further. I just can't wrap my head around leaving good people defenseless.

Well the argument is anyways going to be the same. If you out law something like a knife, the only people that are going to have them are the criminals. My friend who lives there says even sharpened sticks and screw drivers (if you don't show need) can land you in jail. So if you are approached by a guy or guys with bad intent in the UK that plan on doing you bodily harm and you're say 60-70 years old you're just expected to die for the greater good? Heck even a weak male, outnumbered male or female is just expected to do his or her best with thier hands when confronted by someone or several someone's with the intent of doing you harm with their knife, club, sharpened stick, screw driver, etc Al. I could go on but I think this may get pushed to another forum or closed all together if it goes further. I just can't wrap my head around leaving good people defenseless.
I'm not sure that knives make any difference to that. They are not a defensive weapon except to the well trained. The general problem with defence weapons is how to define them as defensive with a law which would have to apply equally to the 70 year old man walking down the street and the thug walking up it to mug him. Both would use that reason for carrying said weapon prior to any crime happening. Rather than ascribe to any kind of concept of common sense judgements, a theory alien to the law in general and politically correct governments in particular, blanket laws are applied. Either no one can carry or everyone can. I personally don't believe either solution is ideal or particularly intelligent. I do realise to an extent that common sense judgements on an issue such as this is hugely open to the corruption of creating a class system in law.

I think maybe we are looking at the problem upside-down. They are not looking at keeping people from defending themselves. What they are trying to do is keep guys from taking a weapon with them and then looking for a fight.
Its a cycle, the world is dangerous, I should be armed. Hey that guy insulted me, I could just walk away, but hey, I have a knife, I'll show him who's the man.... and so it continues.
You can still carry a knife for utility use in most cases, and you can still be selective about where and how you travel.

I'm not saying either side is right, or wrong, just that there is a different perspective. I think often the USA attitude is portrayed as "I have the right to defend myself against all comers for any reason!" where as the UK attitude might be more "I have the right to defend myself, as much as needed from unjustified attack, within reason compared to the force used against me" So the two are often not terribly compatible. Again, not sure which is right or wrong, personally I'm a fan of intent based law, you prove intent by acting, but unfortunately, that generally leaves a victim, and in most cases, had neither party been armed, it likely would not escalate.

Back