UKPK - absolute perfection for me

Cross posted this at the spyderco forums as well.

I've been waiting a few years for the new UKPK in s110v - and I can say it was definitely worth the wait! I actually liked the blue color of the scales, and I really liked the feel of the FRN. That said, I have been waiting to put the s110v blade into some natural wood.

The scales are Hawaiian koa from a third party. I was a little disappointed with the finish at first. I ended up wet sanding the scales with a little watco oil up to 2k grit, and they finally pop. I will also be the first to say that I have no photographic skills, and the chatoyance that makes koa so beautiful is just about impossible to capture in a picture (my excuse).

I know we all have different likes and needs in a pocket knife. All I can say is thank you to Spyderco and Sal for helping me realize this.
5TYghqM.jpg

b0NJ3uf.jpg

xje5VmH.jpg

ps - sorry, can't figure out how to rotate that second image. I spun it all around in imgur, but it also maintains that upright posture.

Very nice looking. I am still looking for the perfect Spyderco for me, some come close, but the UKPK has come the closest. The most carried knife I own.

Very nice work on those scales foofie!
The UKPK is a great knife and worthy of those beautiful scales.:thumbsup:

This model has recently gained my interest...anybody that has it, can you give me your opinions on it? how is it holding up with use etc?

I too have recently become interested in the ukpk. I love my caly3 and my urban lw, so I guess it's only natural. I feel like it would be a great light weight summertime edc. I didn't like the idea of no lock until I got the urban, now I have no issues. I think this may be my next purchase.

I too have recently become interested in the ukpk. I love my caly3 and my urban lw, so I guess it's only natural. I feel like it would be a great light weight summertime edc. I didn't like the idea of no lock until I got the urban, now I have no issues. I think this may be my next purchase.
I just ordered one and non locking blades really aren't my thing, but I'm going to try this one out. I like the scale color, blade steel and the carry weight so we will see.

the new UKPK in s110v - and I can say it was definitely worth the wait! I actually liked the blue color of the scales, and I really liked the feel of the FRN

I totally agree !
I just got one to have a second inexpensive specimen of S110V to experiment on and I wound up really liking the knife to carry and use.

PS: and the steel / heat treat is very good.

I just ordered one and non locking blades really aren't my thing, but I'm going to try this one out. I like the scale color, blade steel and the carry weight so we will see.
Let us know what you think. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this too

I own a regular green UKPK (G10 and S30V) and I couldn't be more pleased. While your mod looks good, I am affraid that those scales might get slippery due to the lack of texture (even considering the contouring of the scales). The oil rub finish will not help.

I use my knives usually for food prep and getting them covered in al short of crap happens often. If they get slippery, they become dangerous.

Besides, I got cracked the cocobolo scales of a Boker Skelibur... so no wood for me on a folder handle ever again!

IMG_3834.JPG IMG_3832.JPG Here it is, very lightweight and nice blade steel...reminds me of my Caly 3.5...one of my favorite edc models.

A few different questions have been popping up, so here's my attempt to answer some of them from my own experience. Take it all with a grain of salt as usual;)

1) platform issues - yes it is non-locking, yes it is a great light-duty slicer. Has the ergos of the caly 3, which is one of my all-time favorites... so I am obviously a little biased here. I find the handle design sidesteps the need for any grip/texture on the scales.

2) steel - a few ways to approach this one. In such a light duty platform, I think any modern steel would have worked well. As a bit of a steel snob, I would also have been happy with xhp, m390/204p, or 10v/k390. That said, I have the most experience with s90v and s110v and I think it fits it perfectly. Stays hair whittling sharp for many weeks at a time (partially due to light-duty usage). I know some users have had issues with sharpening or maintaining s110v - but I have to say it is one of my favorites. Corrosion resistance is a plus for food prep. I will also go on record as saying that I can't tell the difference between s90v and s110v in usage or in sharpening.

I did go ahead and order one and it arrived today. I really like it, it is even lighter than I expected, and that's one of the reasons I wanted to try it. It is the perfect size for me and the spring tension is pretty strong, which is a good thing. The blue is actually better than I thought it'd be in person too. Good for and finish as well. The wire clip seems a little more flimsy than other Spydercos, but it's ok. I'm happy so far, it'll get some pocket time.
0koW5ak.jpg

Back