UPDATE: Benchmade 940-2 First Impressions--and a Question

Update: My 940-2 has been fantastic for the last couple of weeks. Perfect action and no blade play! I've been super happy with it! Today while flipping it, I felt a funny pop. I'm pretty sure one of the omega springs either broke or somehow popped out of it's anchor (if that's even possible). The axis button sits lopsided and It's not fully locking up.

Guess I'll get to see what it's like after a trip home anyway. ☹️☹️

Can you look inside the chamber an tell. It may have come unhooked from the axis bar or it may have broken. Curious as to the update. I have had an omega spring break on me as well.

Update: My 940-2 has been fantastic for the last couple of weeks. Perfect action and no blade play! I've been super happy with it! Today while flipping it, I felt a funny pop. I'm pretty sure one of the omega springs either broke or somehow popped out of it's anchor (if that's even possible). The axis button sits lopsided and It's not fully locking up.

Guess I'll get to see what it's like after a trip home anyway. ☹️☹️

The omega springs do anchor to the liners through a tiny hole. I little protrudes through the liner into the scale. You could look between the scales to see if both are poking through. Do you plan to pull it apart. They really are pretty simple. There aren't any springs to fly out in your face. The omega springs are attached to the axis bar.

i have my own 940 and to have it glass smooth i need to keep it with a lot of play but when I tighten it with no play, i can't ever swing it open or closed. is this something benchmade can fix or do i just have to deal ith it?

Thanks everyone for your input. Looking through the liners, it appears the clip side omega spring is almost certainly broken, even though I can't quite see the exact point of failure. (The spring is displaced, but the anchor looks intact.)

I've read BM is not fond of sending springs to customers, so it'll be going to Oregon as soon as I have time to send it off.

to have it glass smooth i need to keep it with a lot of play but when I tighten it with no play, i can't ever swing it open or closed.

Andrew, my action and lockup were *perfect* before the spring let go (even though the starting point sounds similar to yours). If you have a T-10 and don't mind callused thumbs, you could always try what I did. [emoji6]

ETA: I'll be sure to post when my knife is back.

Last edited:
i have my own 940 and to have it glass smooth i need to keep it with a lot of play but when I tighten it with no play, i can't ever swing it open or closed. is this something benchmade can fix or do i just have to deal ith it?

Hey Andrew!!
When making pivot adjustments, it is critical to make the tiniest turns. I find it amazing how much a tiny bit of turn effects the action. I have found every BM I have has a sweet spot. It just takes a little time to find it.
Good luck!
Joe

"Well during adjustment today I switched the right for left washer and its back to just barely favoring the clip side;"

4mer_FMF, was reminded by your review that the washers have a round shoulder and a square shoulder. ApostleP recommends putting the rounded shoulder of each washer towards the blade to help smooth out action.

"Well during adjustment today I switched the right for left washer and its back to just barely favoring the clip side;"

4mer_FMF, was reminded by your review that the washers have a round shoulder and a square shoulder. ApostleP recommends putting the rounded shoulder of each washer towards the blade to help smooth out action.

Yeah that's what the apostle says but I have found in some cases its the opposite if you want to dial out play with good action. I would try both and see which one works better.

I kept the round shoulders facing the blade, and just switched the washers left for right. When everything settled in (before the omega incident--lol) the blade was just barely favoring the clip side by 5% or so. Technically not perfect, but really no big deal (and I'm pretty anal about stuff).

The "square" sides were a far cry from polished! It makes sense that lapping them down might even things up, but it wound up to my liking without having to go there.

Last edited:
So, continuing my experience diary, I got a box back from Oregon today, a little more than 2 weeks from the day my 940-2 left home.
IMG_0524.JPG
Inside the big box was this:
IMG_0525.JPG
And inside the little box was my 940-2 with a note saying they "Replaced screws, axis lock, and Omega Springs. Blue Loctite apply to all screws during reassembly. Cleaned, adjusted, oiled, and sharpened as needed."

Solid lockup with a hint of side play (acceptable) and perfectly centered (better than new). The action is acceptable by my standards, though not quite as close to free dropping as before she went in--that's cool; I'm confident it'll smooth out in a week (and then I'll get rid of the last hint of side play--OCD, LOL!).

They sharpened it--though it wasn't necessary after a stropping I'd done previously. The secondary grind is smoother (and sharper) than new, though a tad wider on the clip side through the belly. No big deal.

Sooo, my experience with BM CS was a pretty good one--especially considering how fast they turned it around.

Now I'll get back to enjoying my knife!

IMG_0527.JPG

Last edited:
Hey 4mer_FMF! I'm curious how your 940 is holding up? I just received a 940 the other day and have mixed feelings toward it.

I was having centering and blade play issues and realized that the pivot loosened quite fast when flicking the knife. I fiddled with it and got the centering better and the play reduced to negligible, although it took more force to open the knife. I figure it will break in some. The centering is odd because the blade is centered on the backspacer, but not centered when viewed from above in relation to the aluminum frame.

Anyway, I'm more concerned with the blade flicking open when shaken. I'm not fond of folders that open when the handle is shaken really hard. This got better when I tightened the pivot to reduce the play. I cant shake it open when holding the handle in the middle, but if i grasp the tail end of the handle and shake the blade will still pop open. Do you experience this?

I just forayed into the 150-200 edc knives. I have owned CRK, Hinderer, Strider but not many knives in this category. I purchased a Spyderco PM2 just before this, and have had absolutely no trouble. It is perfectly centered, has good action, and I can't shake it open at all. So far it seems to be a much better choice than the 940, and cheaper.

Last edited:
From what I have heard on online chatter (youtube), it seems that these initial F&F issues are not present with the special dealer exclusives. Which, I don't know... (Not bashing, I promise I love BM) I have already accepted that sending your BM in initially is what is necessary for most people to fix F&F issues, so my eyes are on the dealer exclusives, OR, I vet the BM knives super hard inside the store (sports store, or [approved BF dealer within my state]) for F&F perfection (assuming the prices don't go up too much, still debating which one I should get, but that's for another post).
Edit: the Butterfly Tax hurts too much to look at right now haha

Last edited:
Hey 4mer_FMF! I'm curious how your 940 is holding up? I just received a 940 the other day and have mixed feelings towards it....

Lepidopterablade Lepidopterablade Yes, if I shake my 940-2, especially with wrist, I can get it to open. It has to be deliberate, but it will open. A large portion of my knives will do the same if done forcefully enough. That said, my 940-2 stays closed really well and I have zero concern about opening unintentionally.

With regards to centering, following instructions in this thread helps https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/centering-a-benchmade-blade.1495117/
However, I eventually drift back to 60-40ish.

Try LocTite 222 or 242 on the pivot, or it will loosen.

For blade play, I followed my same routine again recently. Tighten the pivot just barely until blade play is gone. It the action is too stiff work the crap out of it for a week and then readjust. Repeat if needed. Mine has always smoothed out and become acceptable. Mind you I kinda prefer a gentle dab of the wrist to get it closed.

Should a $170 knife be like this? Absolutely not. Perhaps that’s why it’s the only BM in my collection. Nevertheless, I stand by my comments above that design wise, it’s hard to beat for light EDC.

I've wanted a -2 for a long time and finally pulled the trigger the other day. It showed up today and I was immediately disappointed.

Blade centering is acceptable and pivot sweet spot is achievable.

The edge is extremely coarse, and looks burned? The edge geometry is inconsistent.

The screw for the rear standoff was only half tightened. No big deal. Took 2 seconds to tighten.

The G10 is bloody haggard. It's semi textured on one side, as it should be, but completely smooth on the other side. Wtf.

The thing that bugs me the most is the lock stick. I've had countless folding knives over the years. My current collection is excessive, and I've never experienced lock stick anything like this before. It is horrendous.

Being in Canada, I can't even send it in to Benchmade anymore, due to CBSA's new interpretation of the rules. :(

I've wanted a -2 for a long time and finally pulled the trigger the other day. It showed up today and I was immediately disappointed.

Blade centering is acceptable and pivot sweet spot is achievable.

The edge is extremely coarse, and looks burned? The edge geometry is inconsistent.

The screw for the rear standoff was only half tightened. No big deal. Took 2 seconds to tighten.

The G10 is bloody haggard. It's semi textured on one side, as it should be, but completely smooth on the other side. Wtf.

The thing that bugs me the most is the lock stick. I've had countless folding knives over the years. My current collection is excessive, and I've never experienced lock stick anything like this before. It is horrendous.

Being in Canada, I can't even send it in to Benchmade anymore, due to CBSA's new interpretation of the rules. :(

There are lots of Benchmade experts around here. I don’t think lock stick is very common with axis locks, at least from what I’ve read. Post something about it on the Benchmade forum (if you haven’t already). Someone will help.

With regards to the other inconsistencies, bummer. I know how you feel. While I still carry my 940-2 fairly regularly, it remains my only Benchmade. It’s a great user, and I’ll hold my guns about its excellent design. I’d also be lying if I said the inconsistency in execution hasn’t left me a bit jaded towards the brand.

This is an excellent picture. It reminds me why I don't carry my PM2's that much any longer. I tend to grab my 0450/0450CF or 0460 due to their slim design. Great looking 940 by the way!
I’m in the same boat. The PM2 rides with me when I’m expecting real work. If it’s just regular old EDC, I usually have something a bit more narrow. Cargo pockets might be the exception; the PM2 works really well there.

I’m in the same boat. The PM2 rides with me when I’m expecting real work. If it’s just regular old EDC, I usually have something a bit more narrow. Cargo pockets might be the exception; the PM2 works really well there.

Well said. The slim profile makes it a much more office friendly knife. I know that's not important to some guys, but for me, and many others, it is. Whipping a PM2 out at my desk would be a big no-no. Pulling out an 0450/0460 or 940 would raise less eyebrows, for sure. Right or wrong, that's just the way office culture is. And I want to keep my job, lol.

Back