UPDATED : A Carpathian Mountain Adventure with 2 Wolfdogs and a Kilo One

Pohl Force USA

Photo credits go to David Buchner - thank you!

A short review of the Kilo One Outdoor during my Carpathian expedition with Wotan (my Wolf dog)

After a lengthy period of planning for my expedition (with Wotan my dog) gathering suitable equipment, the only thing remaining was trying to decide -which knife? This was not an easy decision to make as I knew I would at times be very remote and dependent on my equipment.
I contacted Pohl Force for information and to see if they had something suitable. and was put in touch with Sebastian Lucke. I spoke of my trip and what I would need, he without hesitation recommended the Kilo One Outdoor.
I have to say I was more than skeptical regarding his choice, the knife ‘looks’ really did not work for me, but I decided to put skepticism aside, and put my trust in the professionals.
Within 2-3 days a package appeared in my mailbox in lower Austria where I live.
I was of course eager to unpack it, my initial positive thoughts were regarding the accessories, the nice heavy duty collectors pouch, stickers and certificate.
I ordered the Kilo with a leather sheath and was pleasantly surprised over the quality and workmanship, and the knife sat snugly and securely- which I liked.
Likewise, with the Kilo itself, the quality was top-notch and somehow was crying out to worked…… and worked hard. Many of us have experienced that moment when we finally receive that piece of equipment that we have been waiting for.  but I knew I did not have the time or money to afford to leave this guy laying around – was time to get out in the forest and see what it can do.
The knife has a blade length of 11.6cm / ... inches with a 5mm thick D2 steel, what can possibly happen to a chunk of steel like this? I thought to myself. 
Once in the forest I grabbed the first branch that was laying around, I proceeded to randomly chop and hack away, curiously it was as though the knife was trying to show me what it can do! I was, and still am really impressed with the Santaku blade, it’s maybe not for everyone, but is really well suited to working in an outdoor environment.
Overall a positive experience as far as working in the forest, the knife had performed well. Once I got home I decided give the knife a strength test, I slipped the blade into a cavity in a brick wall and with my 74 kilos applied my full weight to the knife, there was no signs of stress or damage.
The Kilo’s edge remained keenly sharp and with little effort using my Spyderco M303 sharpening stone I was able to get it back to razor sharp. I continued to test the knife prior to my departure, and finally decided to take it along
In the first week of my expedition the knife tackled bravely whatever was needed, chopping, splitting, hacking whatever it took care of it and almost seemed to enjoy it 
After 4 weeks through the Carpathians I spent a few recovery days with a close friend. During my stop I helped out around the house and garden, again the Kilo was put to good use. After days of ‘beating’ in the wilderness, I must have chopped my way through several cubic feet of wood. It was then presented with hard plastic, rubber car tire and wire, in addition to opening food cans along the way, all without effort.
D2 typically is known for easily showing signs of rust, this problem I had as well as I had not cleaned the knife or lubricated in any way, after a little wood splitting the rust was gone again, next time I will take a little oil along!
So why did I decide to take along the Kilo apart from doing so well in the initial tests? Pohl Force offered great service and were very responsive, my questions and concerns were answered quickly. Even through the Facebook Group page which is moderated by a Pohl Force employee my questions were answered without problem.
In conclusion the Kilo One, the accessory package and service from Pohl Force was TOP. I have really gotten to like the Kilo, it performed very well where many other knives probably would have failed.
Thank you to Team Pohl Force

Viele Grüsse David

Last edited:
That looks like the place to be. I love getting into the wilderness whenever possible. Turn off the phone and be comfortable in nature. :thumbup:

Beautiful pictures, awesome dog, great knife and gear!
Looks like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed it.

edit: didn't see the post was this old until I replied... still beautiful though :D

Back