Updated CRK Group Photos and Pelican Storage

photoman12001

Gold Member
My CRK collection has changed a bit since the last time a took a group photo so I decided to update it. A few have come and gone. I tried to get down to 10 but just as I was whittling it down a few goods deals popped up and the quantity actually increased. I've tried to part with a few of these but haven't been able to do it. Oh well.

I set up a dedicated Pelican 1300 for them to limit the population, but that didn't stop me from slipping a Professional Solider in there. I configured it to store up to 10 larges, 8 smalls, and have a slot for storing all my CRK tools, grease, and Loctite. A few pocket sheaths, a cloth, and the Professional Solider all fit in there loosely too. I just wrap the PS in the cloth and the larges keep it from really moving around.

There are a couple of empty spaces left. I want to try a small inlay Inkosi and TiLock but the right deals have not appeared yet. I know it's a small collection compared to some others but I like it.

_DSC4612%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsdnyxw7ie.jpg

_DSC4615%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsauhjmvwz.jpg

CRK%20Pelican%201300%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsxizz9ubw.jpg

Last edited:
A pelican case to be envied, for sure!
This subforum is a dangerous place to hang out. That PS is what turned my eye toward CRKs to begin with, and now I have my first insingo. Already looking for my next...

did you cut your own foam in that?

I use a Pelican 1300 for my CRKs and a couple of 1500s for all my other folders. All of them came with pick-an-pluck foam which makes it quick and easy to configure the case. You just have to figure out how many squares to remove to fit your knife in the slot, then figure out a layout for all the slots you want. I try to maximize available slots.
  • The vast majority of folding knives will fit in a slot left by removing a 2x2 (that is the number of pre-cut squares) section. That fits large Sebenzas and Umnumzaans great.
  • Small Sebenzas fit perfectly in a 1x2 section.
  • Larger knives (ZT 0300/0200, Benchmade 275/860, Karambits, etc.) need a 2x3 section.
  • For a dedicated CRK case you should be fine with 1x2 and/or 2x2 sections. The 2x2 works fine for smalls but you can fit more in the case with 1x2 sections if you have several smalls.
  • A wall of foam one square thick between each section has provided plenty of protection for my knives.

The 1500 case has a slightly shorter overall height than the 1300 and only one layer of pick-and-pluck foam. The 1300 has two layers of pick-and-pluck foam with its slightly taller overall height.
  • The 1500's pick-and-pluck layer is the perfect height for most folders.
  • In the 1500, many traditionals and few smaller modern folders (Spyderco Firefly/Techno and a few others of mine) are a little too short to easily access. I solve that problem by cutting the excised section of foam down to a height that will allow the knife to protrude over the top of the foam and pushing it to the bottom of the section for those knives.
  • In the 1300 when using both layers of pick-and-pluck foam the large CRKs stick up enough to be grabbed but the smalls get swallowed by the hole. However, one layer leaves too much of the larges exposed for my taste. I solved this by using a serrated bread knife to cut one of the layers to half its thickness. One and a half layers of the 1300's pick-and-pluck foam gave me the perfect compromise for the smalls and larges. It also gave my room to have the pocket sheaths, cloth and a Professional solider loose in the case.
  • The section at the back of my CRK 1300 is 2x13. It has space enough to store:
    • CRK grease
    • CRK thread locker
    • Several hex wrenches
    • Several sets of spare Umnumzaan thumb stud o-rings
    • 4 Umnumzaan pivot tools (2 of the aluminum version now sold and 2 older plastic ones)
The white things you see on the sides inside the case are dessicant packs. I bought them in bulk and use several in each case.

I discuss the 1500 cases more in this video. You can see a few CRKs in the case because this was done before I lost my mind and didn't have enough of them to justify a dedicated box.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this! I have been looking into a new case and this will be perfect:thumbsup:

Plain. I'm not too fond of the fancy ones and if there is any chance of me carrying it plain was the way to go. I don't know if that will happen though. I love stonewashed titanium anyway. It will go well with my Grayman Dua and various ZTs with stonewash.

I think I grabbed the last one off KnifeArt. It will be my first new CRK and most expensive knife. I figured I better grab one before they become difficult and/or expensive to obtain.

Another one bites the dust...an empty slot that is. A new TiLock comsumed my last free 2x2 space in the Pelican case. If I stick to my self-imposed guidance, I must sell a large CRK to obtain another one now. However, if I remove the TiLock clip, I think it will squeeze into a small 1x2 slot in a pinch...

It's a neat knife but I can't say I'm digging it like I do my other CRKs. It just doesn't have the same simple, robust elegance of the others (Sebenza, Umnumzaan, Inkosi). As far as size, it does fit right in between the small & large Sebenzas. I'll probably never carry it but it's a nice knife for the collection.

This is my first new CRK purchase and my first with the new packaging. It sucks that it won't fit in a USPS small flat rate box but the whole package is super nice and befitting a knife of this caliber.

_DSC4746%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsibewuwvj.jpg

_DSC4749%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsg2vsybrz.jpg

_DSC4751%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpshphmkzic.jpg

_DSC4753%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpspe9mswvc.jpg

_DSC4745%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zps233gisxl.jpg

Back