USN refining

Hello all! I have a USN model that I stripped the finish off of. I see that the blade is textured quite a bit, which I assume is there to help with the retention of the finish. I do not like the look of it and was wondering if there might be anyone who does small job on knives who can smooth out the texture. Hope everyone's weekend is off to a good start!kbar-usn.jpg

I suspect it would cost about as much as the knife did to pay someone to polish that - and it's a job you can do yourself.

get a pack of multi-grit wet/dry sandpaper from the auto parts store and a scrap of wood.
start at a "low" grit like 320 working parallel to the edge and sand until the machining marks start to thin out.
go up a grit (400) and sand perpendicular to the edge until you have sanded out all the scratches from the previous.
go up a grit and sand parallel, etc....
above 800 grit, it should start looking shiny
1000-1200 and you should be getting good reflections.

if that sounds like too much work and you have access to a random orbit sander, you can use it to clean up the tooling marks (again, 320 & 400 grit) - and it will leave a texture similar to a stonewash finish. if you use a scotch brite pad, you end up at a satin finish.
follow up with a buffing pad and flitz or peek to polish the knife.

hope this helps.

IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG A lot of elbow grease . One thing I prefer to do different is to use emery cloth the Handy roll type instead of wet dry sand paper. It will last longer and like Vic said wrap it around a flat surface , I also like to use a scrap piece of wood 1/2" thick will make it safer for your fingers and go for it . Be careful .

Last edited:
Back