Vic Classic question

I read on another forum where someone was claiming that the older model of the Victorinox Classics had a much better build. Tools snapped open more solidly like the bigger SAKS and just had a beefier feel to them. Can anyone confirm or deny this?? It kinda made me want to track down an older classic to see for myself. Thanks

How old are you thinking ?
My classic is 20yrs old and has the walk and talk you'd expect for such a small knife.

How old are you thinking ?
My classic is 20yrs old and has the walk and talk you'd expect for such a small knife.
Not sure to be honest. As far as I can tell the older models have a different file, (no SD tip and the texturing is a little different) and the one side of the scissors has what looks to be a phillips head.

I have an older one that was actually purchased for me in Switzerland. It does have considerably more snap than my Rambler and just a smudge more than the two other classics I owned. However I would say that it is merely an anomaly and nothing of truly great concern. As to tracking one down I really do not think it's worth the effort.

I've got a couple of Classics laying here that have pointed nail files and screw together scissors, one of which I've had for at least 30 years, so they probably qualify as "older". The pull and snap is a little stronger than that on the newer examples I have laying around, but the difference isn't great. I certainly wouldn't call it worth tracking down an older one to experience for yourself, but I won't tell you not to, either.

Hey thank you all very much. Exactly what I wanted to know and hear actually! No need to track down an old one when I've got a few already. Side note, I'm finding the alox classic to be the perfect back pocket carry. So flat I can keep it back there all day and not notice it until I need it for something. Toothpick and tweezers in the wallet so they're on hand as well.
image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back