1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Victorinox gets US military knife contract

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Rich S, Jul 16, 2017 at 7:36 AM.

1. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    This may be old news, but Victorinox has gotten on the US military supplier list for folding combat knives. Basically a Trekker with serrated blade and different colored scales with US insignia. No need to play video, just the only picture I could find.

I like my plain blade Trekker.

Rich

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    Piso Mojado and John Stubley like this.
  2. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Interesting. I'd kinda wondered why they weren't doing this sooner. Seems like when exmilitary members post about what they carried while serving, an SAK is frequently mentioned, so I'd think this should be a winner for them. Personally not a big fan of serrated blades, but I am a fan of my non one hand, plain blade trekker.

3. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Just another of the many pocket knives with an NSN.

This NSN is 1095-01-653-1166.

It has been available for more than a year now.

Piso Mojado likes this.
  4. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I assume the NSN is a gov't procurement number?

Rich

5. Piso Mojado

Piso Mojado Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 11, 2006
    More about NSN than most people want to know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Stock_Number

[​IMG]

Dadpool likes this.
  6. Titan

Titan

Jan 21, 1999
    Can civilians purchase this item legally?

7. numberthree

numberthree

Dec 14, 2000
    I'll take 2, thanks!

8. Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest

Jun 30, 2017
    Is a saw now regarded as an essential function for an issue knife? The older classic miltary knives never had one

9. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
  10. JasonJ

JasonJ

Oct 28, 2014
    Agree, this will be a big hit. As to PE vs Serrated... I have the OHT with the front, partially serrated main blade. I got it on clearance from a local store, paid all of $16 so I wasn't going to pass it up, HOWEVER... I find that the serrated portion of the blade cuts as well as the plain edge- it's actually rather different than other serrations I've used in that it has a very keen edge and leaves a smooth cut behind. I'm more perturbed by the chisel grind on the plain edge section.

hexenjager likes this.
  11. John Stubley

John Stubley

May 25, 2017
    I thought P Trump was only going to buy American?

John.

12. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    I LOVE a good SAK. But given the large size of this knife (It's not like it'll "disappear" in your pocket), I'm not sure why I'd tote a pliers-based multi-tool AND this.

13. Pilot1

Pilot1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2005
    This is basically a clone of the Bundeswehr (German Army) knife that I have, except it has black blades, and is marked U.S. That also has a serrated blade. These are available commercially.

Titan likes this.
  14. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    I had a Vic multitool with a full serrated blade and I will say that I like the Vic serrations better than most.

15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Good to see that the military is getting stuff they can actually like to use.

16. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man

May 5, 2017
    I'm gonna see if I can order this through unit supply. :)

17. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Yeah when I was in, there were several knives and multitools to choose from, we could even get them if they didn't have an NSN. Definitely not an exclusive contract, but good to have another choice.

18. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I have not seen a contract yet all this is is a NSN number, which makes it easier for a unit to buy this knife. Not sure what mnblade's comment about not disappearing in your pocket as I have carried one since I got it in 2001, on a bungie lanyard in my right front pocket with no problems. If this company/Victorinox was smart, they would supply it with a belt pouch. John

19. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    I will have to get one!

20. John Stubley

John Stubley

May 25, 2017
    So what grade of steel is this going to use, Any guesses?

John.