Victorinox gets US military knife contract

This may be old news, but Victorinox has gotten on the US military supplier list for folding combat knives. Basically a Trekker with serrated blade and different colored scales with US insignia. No need to play video, just the only picture I could find.

I like my plain blade Trekker.

Rich

Last edited:
Interesting. I'd kinda wondered why they weren't doing this sooner. Seems like when exmilitary members post about what they carried while serving, an SAK is frequently mentioned, so I'd think this should be a winner for them. Personally not a big fan of serrated blades, but I am a fan of my non one hand, plain blade trekker.

Just another of the many pocket knives with an NSN.

This NSN is 1095-01-653-1166.

It has been available for more than a year now.

A NATO Stock Number, or National Stock Number (NSN) as it is known in the US, is a 13-digit numeric code, identifying all the 'standardized material items of supply' as they have been recognized by all NATO countries including United States Department of Defense. Pursuant to the NATO Standardization Agreements, the NSN has come to be used in all treaty countries. However, many countries that use the NSN program are not members of NATO, e.g. Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

More about NSN than most people want to know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Stock_Number

Knife-Combat-Utility.png

Interesting. I'd kinda wondered why they weren't doing this sooner. Seems like when exmilitary members post about what they carried while serving, an SAK is frequently mentioned, so I'd think this should be a winner for them. Personally not a big fan of serrated blades, but I am a fan of my non one hand, plain blade trekker.

Agree, this will be a big hit. As to PE vs Serrated... I have the OHT with the front, partially serrated main blade. I got it on clearance from a local store, paid all of $16 so I wasn't going to pass it up, HOWEVER... I find that the serrated portion of the blade cuts as well as the plain edge- it's actually rather different than other serrations I've used in that it has a very keen edge and leaves a smooth cut behind. I'm more perturbed by the chisel grind on the plain edge section.

I LOVE a good SAK. But given the large size of this knife (It's not like it'll "disappear" in your pocket), I'm not sure why I'd tote a pliers-based multi-tool AND this.

This is basically a clone of the Bundeswehr (German Army) knife that I have, except it has black blades, and is marked U.S. That also has a serrated blade. These are available commercially.

Agree, this will be a big hit. As to PE vs Serrated... I have the OHT with the front, partially serrated main blade. I got it on clearance from a local store, paid all of $16 so I wasn't going to pass it up, HOWEVER... I find that the serrated portion of the blade cuts as well as the plain edge- it's actually rather different than other serrations I've used in that it has a very keen edge and leaves a smooth cut behind. I'm more perturbed by the chisel grind on the plain edge section.

I had a Vic multitool with a full serrated blade and I will say that I like the Vic serrations better than most.

Yeah when I was in, there were several knives and multitools to choose from, we could even get them if they didn't have an NSN. Definitely not an exclusive contract, but good to have another choice.

I have not seen a contract yet all this is is a NSN number, which makes it easier for a unit to buy this knife. Not sure what mnblade's comment about not disappearing in your pocket as I have carried one since I got it in 2001, on a bungie lanyard in my right front pocket with no problems. If this company/Victorinox was smart, they would supply it with a belt pouch. John

Back