Visalia CA ABS Hammer-in

m. wohlwend

BANNED
The ABS hammer in will be from Oct 8 through Oct 10. I have a flyer in my personal email that I can forward to you if you are interested. Don Fogg and other Master Smiths will be teaching. It will be hosted by Master Smith Mike Vagnino at the welding dept of College of the Sequioa's. For you W&SS types camping will be allowed on the grounds.. Cost is 55.00 and the Saturday knife show is free and open to the public... See you there!

my father in law Al and I were planning on going to this, but it turns out my sisters are throwing a big 60th b-day party for my mom, that same weekend..:( bummer.. maybe we could try and plan another hammer/grind in @ your place Mark..:thumbup:

my father in law Al and I were planning on going to this, but it turns out my sisters are throwing a big 60th b-day party for my mom, that same weekend..:( bummer.. maybe we could try and plan another hammer/grind in @ your place Mark..:thumbup:

Let's do that... May be right after the first of the year before I get too deep into the spring semester. We could put a W&SS spin on it and have a couple demo's on fire making or some type of survival skill...

Mark, did you receive my emails on the hammer-in? I'm planning on coming out; just had all the belts/hoses/thermostat & battery replaced in the suv; tires next! Call when you find the time..........nice site! Later, Mr.Bill

My son forged on his first blade today, taking pointers from Don Fogg. Yeah, THE Don Fogg. I have never even had an offical lesson yet. You guys can forward all forging questions to my son. He will be running the shop from now on, cause I can't get him away from the anvil. He forged till he had three blisters, popped them, and kept forging, grinning from ear to ear... I have offically created a monster! :)

Knifepictures195.jpg

Round table with the Mastersmiths....

Knifepictures194.jpg

Don Fogg MS

Knifepictures157.jpg

Mike Vagnino MS

Knifepictures160.jpg

Bill Burke Ms making steel ....

Knifepictures178.jpg

Knifepictures183.jpg

think it got hot ????

Knifepictures186.jpg

raw steel....

Knife show pics
Knifepictures190.jpg

Henery Torres MS

Knifepictures189.jpg

Bill Burke MS

Knifepictures193.jpg

Joe Keeslar MS

Knifepictures191.jpg

Joe Keeslar MS This big camp knife made the cover of Blade in Jan of 2009

It was a blast Mike, I am sitting at the house decompressing right now. Lots to think about. New heat treat coming outta my shop from now on. Gonna slow things down but we will see how it impacts the knives. Gonna set some knives back to spend some time on, see how far I can take it.

To you guys that have been waiting for your knives, I will try to get everything shipped out on monday. Shop has been closed for 3 days due to the Hammer-in...

Great stuff Mark, wish I coulda been there.

The new heat treat sounds interesting although from my experience with your work so far there doesn't seem anything wrong with your old method !

California Blacksmith Association Smith/ College of the Sequoia instructor Bill Stuart making a hammer.
DSC_7525.jpg

DSC_7524.jpg

DSC_7527.jpg

DSC_7523.jpg

Wow. Killer thread. That's the way it should be done. I've always wanted to forge. I found a picker/collector locally that has a bunch of anvils and blowers. I've been working on him to sell me a set. Cash is king ... I need to throw some money at him. I'd love to attend one of these events.

Back