Voyager Sign Ups

Will there be another batch of these knives? If yes, I'll take one.

If all goes well and as planned the next batch will be ready for sale at Blade Show.

On a side note, I have been discussing possible steels with some for a stainless version.
More to come as that things progress.

If all goes well and as planned the next batch will be ready for sale at Blade Show.

On a side note, I have been discussing possible steels with some for a stainless version.
More to come as that things progress.

Considering the purpose of this blade, it would be neat to see it done in AEBL or the new NitroV...one of the tougher stainless's with high edge stability.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but I saw Big Chris compete in Bladesports two weekends ago, and for the record guys, he killed it!! Hung tight with Dan K and Big Donavon.

Considering the purpose of this blade, it would be neat to see it done in AEBL or the new NitroV...one of the tougher stainless's with high edge stability.

I love me some AEB-L. I've got my own survival knife, the Pilgrim, that is in production now (smaller than the Voyager) that is using AEB-L for exactly those reasons. The edge retention and ease of maintenance is icing on the cake!

I would love to have a stainless version of the Voyager, however I would rather have one in Cpm-154. I have several knives in AEB-L and while they are easy to maintain I've never been blown away by AEB-L's edge retention. Cpm-154 is plenty tough for me and I find it easy to maintain and it holds an edge better than AEB-L in my experience.

I would love to have a stainless version of the Voyager, however I would rather have one in Cpm-154. I have several knives in AEB-L and while they are easy to maintain I've never been blown away by AEB-L's edge retention. Cpm-154 is plenty tough for me and I find it easy to maintain and it holds an edge better than AEB-L in my experience.

CPM154 is definitely in another league than AEB-L when it comes to edge retention. AEB-L does a very good job, but it can't really compete with the CPM steels in that regard. You ought to be able to sharpen it with a river rock though if needed, so that is the trade off. Both steels are awesome though! Amongst my favorites.

David,

I have never tried sharpening any of my knives on a river rock so I might have to try that with one in Cpm-154 just to see how hard that would be. Whenever I go out fishing, hunting, or riding my ATV I always carry at least 2 sharpeners with me. One on my person and one in my bag and my keys to my ATV has a keychain sharpener. With that being said I see your point about the ease of sharpening especially if a person got separated from all their sharpeners.

I have finally got all the tangs tapered on the Voyagers and the flats cleaned up.
Tomorrow, after taking the family bowling, I will try to get the blades ground.
After that I will be laying out scale and liner choices and start to prep for glue-up.

As for the stainless option, It will be CPM 154.
I have talked to several people about this and that is what I have settled on.
The heat treat on these will be performed by Peters with a 59-60 Rc hardness.
I have sharpened a 60 Rc CPM 154 knife on a river rock before, it can be done.

This batch of Voyagers is, as I type this, in the oven for a final temper/stress relief cycle.
This afternoon I will be laying out scales for these.
I am behind where I have hoped to be, but things are finally starting to come together.

The next batch is almost ready to ship out.
I will update the thread with some pictures later tonight.

I got the pictures taken yesterday but time got away from me and I didn't get back on the computer.
Here are the next three to be leaving.

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

Questions and Comments welcomed.

Have there been any stainless Voyagers yet?
Loving mine in O1 but will need one for more tropical climates.

Bill

Back