W.I.P. watch and learn process of making a knife "Imwilson's san mia wharnie"

bacustomknives

FULL THROTTLE / FULLTIME KNIFE MAKER
OK GUYS THERE HASNT BEEN A WIP THREAD ON THE FORUM YET SO I DECIDED TO DO ONE TODAY ON IMWILSON'S ORDER, THESE ARE THE STEP BY STEP PHOTOS OF HOW I MAKE MY KNIVES,I FREE HAND AND HARDLY EVER DRAW OUT PATTERNS I GO BY LOOKS AND FEEL SO THATS WHY YOU DONT SEE ANY LINES DRAWN ON THE BILLET OF SAN MIA,WATCH YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE A RAW FORGED BILLET OF W2 AND 203E MADE INTO A KNIFE,FOR MY CREWS VEIWING PLEASURE, HERE WE GO

I KNOW FOR MOST WTF IS THAT, WELL THATS THE SAN MIA BILLET NOT VERY PRETTY HUH?? WELL JUST IMAGINE WHAT I GO THREW ON EACH KNIFE,IT ISNT EASY TO BE CHEESY

WIP002.jpg

PROFILING NO PATTERN DRAWN,THIS IS HOW U GET ONE OF PEICES

WIP006.jpg

WIP009.jpg

STARTING MY GRIND

WIP015.jpg

IM ROUGH GROUND NOW DABBED ACID ON THE BLADE TO FIND MY PATTREN OF 203E ON THE BLADE

WIP029.jpg

WIP033.jpg

WIP039.jpg

NOW IM READY TO PUT THE BLADE IN THE FORGE TO BRING IT UP TO PROPER TEMP TO TAKE A QUICK BATH IN MY QUENCH OIL TO HARDEN IT,IMAGINE HOW FUN THIS WAS HOLDING IT WITH ONE HAND AN TAKING PICS WITH THE OTHER???

WIP041.jpg

WIP044.jpg

WIP045.jpg

STRAIGHT OUT OF THE FORGE INTO THE QUENCH TANK

WIP047.jpg

WIP061.jpg

WIP066.jpg

NOW I PERSONALLY REGRIND MY BLADE UP TO 1000 GRIT BEFORE I PUT IT IN THE TEMPER OVEN TO SEE IF I HAVE ANY CRACKS OR DEFECT FROM THE QUENCH CYCLE,AND SAVES ME THE TROUBLE OF HAVING BAKED ON OIL I HAVE TO CLEAN AFTER THE TEMPER
BLING!!

WIP074.jpg

NOW INTO THE OVEN WE GO FOR 2 CYCLES OF TEMPERING AT 400 DEGREES FOR 1HR EACH I LIKE A STRAW TO GOLD LOOK ON MY BLADES MAKES THEM RIGHT!

WIP078.jpg

WIP080.jpg

WERE OUT OF THE OVEN AFTER AIR COOLING

WIP085.jpg

NOW I GIVE THE BLADE A GOOD HARD BUFF AND CLEAN IT UP WITH GLASS CLEANER AND HEAD FOR AN ACID BATH FOR A CPL MINS

WIP088.jpg

WIP090.jpg

WIP094.jpg

WIP099.jpg

NOW I HAND RUB THE BLADE UNDER WATER TO REMOVE THE EXCESS ACID THE GIVE IT A SOFT BUFF WITH WAX TO SHOW ITS PATTERN

WIP111.jpg

NOW WERE READY FOR SCALES WILSON WANTED SOME DYED MAPLE BURL SO THATS WHAT HE GOT IM GLUED UP ON ONE SIDE AND READY TO DRILL HOLES AND APPLY THE OTHER SIDE

WIP119.jpg

004-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

009-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

015.jpg

NOW I START PROFILING THE SCALES WITH A 60 GRIT BELT,THEN I START HAND SANDING FROM 120 TO 1500 GRIT THEN PUT THE SPIT SHINE ON!!
2 DIFFRENT BUFFS THEN A WAX COAT,PICS DO IT KNOW JUSTICE GUYS

imsan003.jpg

imsan008.jpg

imsan017.jpg

imsan019.jpg

WELL AFTER ALL THAT HERES THE FINNISHED PRODUCT PICS DO IT NO JUSTICE ILL TRY GET SOME OUTDOOR PICS TOMMOROW
LANYARD AND BEAD WILL BE ADDED, 8 3/8 OAL WITH A 3 3/4" BLADE

imsan052.jpg

imsan055.jpg

imsan035.jpg

imsan076.jpg

imsan069.jpg

imsan046.jpg

FINNISHED:thumbup::D

Last edited:
A good w.i.p thread here guys, a forum first

will002.jpg

will014.jpg

will044.jpg

Last edited:
looks like you need an assistant to take the photos for you while you work...I will let you know when i am in the area ;)

Damn, I'm so excited I feel like I did the frist time I was about to get some......well ya'll get the idea. :love-struck: :triumphant:

Wilson, it's just like Christmas eve and you have peeked around the corner into your grandmother's living room and seen everything, huh . . . . . . :D
BA did the same thing to me last year when he made my knife, step by step, and it was torture for me watching him make mine and not being able to get my hands on it . . . . . :eek:
Great looking knife so far, it's amazing what something so ugly can start out to be and be turned into a work of art.
BA, thanks for doing this once again, really details the steps needed to make a knife the right way.
Be safe.

All that stuff looks vaguely familiar!

All that stuff looks vaguely familiar!
Well, you know what they say " two is one and one is none". IF you can get your favorite features from your favorite knife
makers while you're at it.......then thats just CAKE!!! :D

Man, it's already starting to look good. Cant wait to see it finished!!

Nice Bill, i like to see WIP threads,
makes me want to go heat up the forge, get out sme steel and ring the anvil,
soon now that its gettin cooler out. :rolleyes:, LOL

Very, very cool Bill.............:thumbup:. I have wanted to see exactly the process you just showed since I bought my first knife from you. I know there's a bit left to do, but I had no idea how you got from point A to point Z. Still unsure of a few things naturally, but i have a much greater appreciation for what goes into making a knife.

Thanks!!! I look forward to the remainder of your lesson.........;).

Thanks guys, the pics are only bits and peices of what goes on, its cool to be able to stand back in the shop and visually watch the whole process,pics are just a quick veiw, i think im gonna have riverwarrior come and record a video soon that would be cool i think

a san mai wharnie was what made me decide to follow your work. beautiful job. i love that blade.

A video.....!

Now that would be cool..............:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

Do 'er.....

Back