Wanted to try another fullered Seax

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have done very few fullers on my knives because quite honestly, they are hard to do! Been working on it though and decided to try something new this weekend while letting my son work a bit on an overdue project in the shop. I think I have a formula worked out for straight backed knives. In the near future I hope to try something with a little more curvature to the spine and see what that yields. For now I decided to make a rough and tough large sized Seax and I used a set of Becker scales so handles would not be a whole lot of work for me. By the way, the BK&T scales really are GREAT handles!!! Seriously a maker could learn a lot paying attention to what Ethan has come up with in the shape and size of these handle slabs :) This is a huge Seax design! 20 7/8in overall with a 15in blade tip to handle :) The blade is roughly 2 1/16in wide at it's widest section near the point. I used 1/4in thick 5160 steel for the blade and I left the scale and as rolled texture on the blade flats. It weighs in at 31oz and really wants to chop stuff!!!! I'm thinking is would be at home in the hand of an Orc or some future Viking warrior fighting Predators and Aliens on some distant planet :)

Daaaaaaamn. I was just browsing your threads and am blown away by most of your work. This one is a different kind of blown away, like using a jet engine for a hair dryer.

This one balances about 3 1/2in in front of the handle.

I'd need to modify the design a smidgen to get it to a 2inch wide blade and only 10in of blade but I think the shape is right for that type of work :) In a 10inch blade this would be a righteous tool around camp!

DUDE, that is pretty sick Bill!

Back