Warning About Old Schrade Boxes and Your Knife

I have a 885Uh that I got over 10 years ago in the Schrade wood grain box still in the white sleeve that I have never carried or sharpened. A few months back I checked the knife and the bolsters were pitted on the underside. The problem. It was resting on a foam like material in the box that had decomposed with age and degased causing pitting. I thought others might want to know and check their knives. I am going to buy some red felt to place in the box. The special editions line like the grand dad knife I posted about seem to have a felt like material in the box. I took my 885 to SMKW sharpening dept. and had them buff the pits out of the bolsters for all of $2.00

As an aside, sometimes I wonder about all the Schrades I have in the box and some. that like the rest of you are rare, and not using them. We never know when were gone if our children, if we have children, will cherish them as we do or pawn, sell them, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the head's up. Hopefully it will help someone. I don't think I have any stored that way, but I will keep my eye open.

i know my son will love having my knife collection he loves to see my new acquisitions. he does appreciate the craftsmanship found in Schrade.

I have a 885Uh that I got over 10 years ago in the Schrade wood grain box still in the white sleeve that I have never carried or sharpened. A few months back I checked the knife and the bolsters were pitted on the underside. The problem. It was resting on a foam like material in the box that had decomposed with age and degased causing pitting. I thought others might want to know and check their knives. I am going to buy some red felt to place in the box. The special editions line like the grand dad knife I posted about seem to have a felt like material in the box. I took my 885 to SMKW sharpening dept. and had them buff the pits out of the bolsters for all of $2.00

As an aside, sometimes I wonder about all the Schrades I have in the box and some. that like the rest of you are rare, and not using them. We never know when were gone if our children, if we have children, will cherish them as we do or pawn, sell them, etc.

I think if you store in a box (with foam), you should also place the knife in a plastic bag like they did coming out of the factory.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll get some of the plastic bags like Hawk referenced to slip mine in. OH

Back