Water Buffalo In Custom Shop

BP_

Platinum Member
Your thoughts? I like the look, because it looks black. I haven't seen much conversation about it though, so I thought I'd start one. Durability? True color? Thickness?

I've been considering customizing a pair for myself (112 & 501) but I wanted to get some feedback on the material before my thoughts got any more serious. Black scales and an S30V blade sounds so sweet.

I wish there were more black options in the custom shop. Not a big fan of that black palm wood..

What say you?

I have two Buck customs with the water buffalo scales. My first one was a 110 purchased several years ago. The 110 has nickel-silver bolsters, an S30V blade and no rivets. The scales on the 110 are for all intents and purposes, solid black. If you hold them to the light at just the right angle, you might detect a slight bit of color variation, but that's all and you really have to look for it. My second water buffalo Buck, just recently received, is a 112 with nickel-silver bolsters, a mirror-polished 420 HC blade, and rivets. I prefer color variation so I called-in my order and requested it. Even so, the scales appear mostly black with just a pleasant hint of variation in the form of natural-looking grayish haze/streaks. I'm pleased with it but would have preferred it to be even more pronounced. One thought: you might consider adding rivets if you go with nickel-silver. My 110 doesn't have them and the all-black scales make it appear a bit stark against the nickel-silver. My 112 has the rivets and looks more visually balanced and just right to my eye. Brass bolsters seem to spread-out the attention a bit more, allowing rivets to be more of an option...but that's just my opinion. In both cases, the scales are flat and even with the bolsters just as you might expect with wood. They don't protrude in any way, as might be the case with stag, for example. Which of my water buffalo Bucks do I prefer? The 112 with the rivets and the polished blade. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks for the response. I tend to agree, I prefer the look of rivets with the nickel silver as well. I don't think, given it being a natural material, I would so much mind the slight variation you mentioned in the scales. I was moreso curious if they were anything close to the pictures, which represents them as basically all black. I'm glad to hear they're good scales, I really think I'm going to end up with a 501/112 combo with a set on each, with S30V blades.

What about use, like EDC. Any experiences? How's it hold up over a period of time?

I like it as an option. There are also some older models with "impala" on them also if you look around. I think the impala is actually jigged buffalo but had a different look to it. None will be pitch black though. Black G10 may be your best bet if that is what you're looking to have.

I really like the all black smooth buffalo horn. I have it on a number of knives....Buck knives and other custom knives, I don't care for the look of it when you get some with the white streaks in the smooth black.
I'm also not a big fan of the jigged horn.

Pretty tough stuff. I've had no problems carrying it. I like mine in Nickel with Rivets and a
420HC Black Oxide blade.

I ordered these custom shop 110 & 501 knives last year (2016). The buffalo scales are both very much black with little or no "natural marking" variation. I know they are water buffalo scales but I wonder if they couldn't be mistaken for plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 31
I like it as an option. There are also some older models with "impala" on them also if you look around. I think the impala is actually jigged buffalo but had a different look to it. None will be pitch black though. Black G10 may be your best bet if that is what you're looking to have.

G10 you say? Where would I go about finding/making that setup?

Pretty tough stuff. I've had no problems carrying it. I like mine in Nickel with Rivets and a
420HC Black Oxide blade.

Nice. Real world use, exactly what I was looking for. I don't necessarily abuse them, but I don't want to be afraid to reach for it subconsciously and use it. I like the looks of the black blade too. Sweet setup.

I ordered these custom shop 110 & 501 knives last year (2016). The buffalo scales are both very much black with little or no "natural marking" variation. I know they are water buffalo scales but I wonder if they couldn't be mistaken for plastic.

I really, really, like that setup. I think the size combination is perfect, and the matching nickel/black is just it for me. :D

You really have to see it in person to appreciate it. I had a big one from the original custom shop and it was gorgeous. I don't know how it holds up under daily use though.

Here is a picture of my custom shop 110 with finger grooves.

That's just gorgeous. Do you, or anyone, happen to know the difference in the gaps of the finger grooves between the 110 and 112?

It sure is a beauty, isn't it? I've just recently gotten into the smaller Buck offerings, and that 501 is my favorite so far.

No worries, edbeau. Hopefully someone will chime in at some point. Thanks for sharing that beautiful 110 :D:)

Back