Skills we need a contest - so here's a contest: winners announced in first post

Status
Not open for further replies.

1066vik

Gold Member
Back in March, the mighty moderator of all things flaky & good - Biscuit - AKA The Guyon, came up with a contest to come up with a contest.

then we had a contest - and there were entries, with pictures, and winners.
so, its time to have another.

this was my first entry in the contest - which still sounds like a good idea to me:
meal cooked outside over fire -- must include using something you made.
some form of Kabar product must be used either in food prep, making fire, or in making the thing.
no commercially made gas/liquid stoves or firepits allowed.​

So. Rules.
Contest runs July 1-16
one prize - a nib BK16 - is open to anyone entering
the other prize (choice of BK16 or BK5) is open to anyone who has a Beckerhead or KaBar Krew number on or before 11:59 PM, Sunday, July 16.

One post or thread per entry, chatting in the contest thread DQ's all your entries (yes, you can have more than one entry -- but you have to do everything from scratch for each one)
pictures and meal must be done during the contest period -- not something you did last week/month/year.
post/thread must include pictures of Kabar products being used -- or a link to a newly created thread that meets all entry criteria. (ideal for those trying to get a BH or Krew number)
suggested pictures include but are not limited to:
food prep, fire building, cooking, presentation of cooked food, and feasting.​

ask questions in the chat thread.

so. winners: (all 6 entrants are beckerheads)
BK5 -- LG&M: he made 2 entries that were totally different. bowdrill (extremely old school) and fresnel lens (repurposed from a dead big screen TV!)

BK16 -- Tanglediver: this is not second place, it's the other first place. That was a really long video -- but -- it shows good knife uses and creative recycling, plus - noms..... (I am, after all, and inveterate omnomnomnivore)

Honorable mention BK 16 -- Bearfacedkiller: you broke "only 1 post" rule, but -- and this is huge -- that was an excellent educational set of posts: wood gassification stove & how to make an oilskin tarp without burning down the forest, food sources & how to identify the fungus that will kill you - and you threw in an overnighter, of which I am insanely jealous. (the only critters willing to go out in the heat here are skeeters and ticks)

thanks to all who entered -- and everyone who followed the thread!​

Last edited:
In, thank you. BK#188
Here are the tools used.Really I only used the 11&4
6W9UFAG.jpg

Got a coal.
cvkGhju.jpg

Tender bundle is inner bark from cottonwood &cotton.
NDZsU6u.jpg

Baked a apple with brown sugar, cinnamon & butter. (Coring a apple with a becker is not recommended )
avAZdBx.jpg

Make this wile waiting for the coals and cooking.(love working with cedar)
KqehUZ1.jpg

Turned out OK.
wJXiYDc.jpg

38PFlYK.jpg

Last edited:
What about eating and drinking with a Becker knife, does that earn at least honorable mention?

I would, after all , like to think that I am competitive.

Not shure if this qualifies but anyhow...

My youngest daughter wanted to grill some hotdogs and i just cant say no to such activities. Its so rare that she want to do outdoorthangs.
Packed the car and drove to an old "huntingclubs land" where we cold be alone and just enjoy.

Trying to get the fire going..
VcVTwDp.jpg

Daughter tellin me how to do..
C3eOhbp.jpg

Jason the moosedog wonders why im pissed of at the ferrorod(or rather lack of skill).
9lmEySn.jpg

Finaly som fire..
ew1Wdc6.jpg

Daughter trying out the bk16.
jpAGrL3.jpg

rXwVj07.jpg

Wife setting up some hotdogs.
eaE5vmY.jpg

Yummy
My wife managed to cut the hotdog-sticks whith my bk7. It worked but not as good as her bk5(she forgot to bring it)...
T0gJXTf.jpg

Found lots of these for dessert.
DTjSmWP.jpg

Last edited:
Danny K, that's some excellent quality time you've got yourself right there.

IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1188.JPG IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1195.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1199.JPG
Sliced Bourbon Baccon Sausage, 1 Carrot , 1 Red Potatoe and 1 Yellow Bell Pepper rolled in foil used the 24 to slice haha the 4 to thin the wood done earlier in the day. It was 100 in the sun .i tried to make a little fork out of a ceder twig it broke but I used it anyway. The meal was tasty :D
BH 383

Last edited:
BH #2611

I went out for a night in the hammock and took A LOT of pics so here goes. I brought a BK4, BK14 and BK15. I brought a homemade woodstove, homemade oil cloth tarp, made a soup kit, made some chop sticks (sort of) and made some tent stakes. This may get long but I will try to keep it reasonable. I want to be clear that the pics of me making the tarp were from a couple of months ago. Every other picture was taken during the contest.

The rucksack. I didn't bring much with me and with the summer heat all I needed was a fleece blanket. I love when the pack gets this light. My winter pack can be 60 pounds. I keep the bk14 ranger banded to the shoulder strap, BK4 on the back and BK15 on the belt.

TyzklXL.jpg

f1aoJv4.jpg

My homemade wood stove. It is a can of Progresso soup with a can of stewed tomatoes nested inside it with a hardware cloth pot stand. I made it last summer and have used it quite a bit. It can boil a quart of quart of ambient temperature water with good hard wood. If the water is cold or the if the wood is low quality you need to feed the stove a few times to get it to a boil. To cook pasta required feeding it a few times. Make sure all your wood is ready before you start. It sucks if it goes out and you are out of prepped wood.

El6MxFH.jpg

fXslgxj.jpg

UcQHCJh.jpg

c8LSsLH.jpg

0hVIzjc.jpg

I also made my own oil cloth tarp out of a king bed sheet. I did this for the last contest but never got into the woods to use it then. The tarp making pics were taken before the contest. Every other pic in this entry was taken during the contest.

X4zaIBy.jpg

Lantern wicks for the tie outs.

RLskyhL.jpg

I got a little better at sewing them on after a few.

kNtiQN8.jpg

m7zNem3.jpg

I thought I would dye it with leftover coffee. It didn't really work. Oh well.

e5hctHO.jpg

zV1eBDc.jpg

HUL8msZ.jpg

qLVLD7V.jpg

After the failed attempt at dying I let it dry and then soaked it in 50/50 boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits then wrung it out and hung it up to dry.

jzanj6L.jpg

MhXOEWQ.jpg

Finished product.

263CAao.jpg

Last edited:
I made a soup packet for the trip. I LOVE Asian foods of all types. In Japanese cooking they make broth called Niboshi Dashi by boiling dried anchovies in water. It is a base broth for Miso soup. They usually throw the anchovies away and keep the broth. I eat the little fish.

Ingredients.

NKTFjfh.jpg

You usually remove the head and guts. It makes the broth less bitter and plus I eat them so I remove them.

WRTn84Q.jpg

Noodles, niboshi and nori. Lightweight calories.

J3kRH26.jpg

jmME84f.jpg

Cooking!!!!

Getting the stuff out.

CHkkHtH.jpg

OgqmTtu.jpg

Stove in the Zebra pot.

B08zIuR.jpg

A fire starting kit, sponge, stove, bottle of soy sauce, soup and lid for the GI cup all fit in the Zebra pot.

0KC1CCY.jpg

Letting the niboshi soak while I get the wood together.

T3iB1HE.jpg

Fire!!!

hne8V9b.jpg

OyowDA6.jpg

Throwing some feathers on there to get it going.

UUO3noO.jpg

VHy0nXS.jpg

Waiting for water to boil.

i3Mmlr1.jpg

hEj5Eyn.jpg

VRRAOvI.jpg

jjVqi88.jpg

My sidekick! Vera.

HPKqy22.jpg

Tried making chopsticks while I waited. They were too crooked and too short. I'll do better next time. It was black birch which tastes kind of like root beer. I thought it might be interesting. They sure smelled good.

NAXH40v.jpg

Jlym4yw.jpg

Wandered around looking for edibles while I waited for water to boil.

Mushrooms everywhere. Lots of Boletes but if they turn blue when you bruise them they are not safe to eat. All of them were the poisonous kind. :(

cG7zVaa.jpg

4C9vJw4.jpg

Tho23wD.jpg

3VoqRJD.jpg

I do not know what kind of mushrooms these are but it looks like the deer were eating them.

d2SSimX.jpg

Beech nuts.

LM4m4hw.jpg

Partridge berries. Bland but edible.

S4qXEN9.jpg

They are easy to ID since they have these two distinct dots on them.

0UN25xD.jpg

OK, back to the soup. Noodles are done so we just add some soy sauce and broken up nori.

XhFeDwT.jpg

2rJXtkk.jpg

Meal time!!! Ended up going with the spork.

8BdWghA.jpg

Nothing fancy but I made some tent stakes and set the tarp up.

D8gkJKY.jpg

71uVwi4.jpg

nJJhBho.jpg

I had some hay bales that needed to be moved. I loaded up the tool wagon, and drove the tractor over to the other farm.

T8k32W4h.jpg

I moved bales until lunchtime. Then I cut some limbs with the BK 9 that stays on the tractor, and backed the tool wagon into the woods near a good rock.

There was a scrap metal pile nearby that provided some useful supplies; a wheel rim, a stove burner pan, and a piece of woven wire fence.

BnoyyPPh.jpg

Filled in the hole in the wheel rim.

IPJv8hXh.jpg

Started a fire with some oak twigs.

9EEFJlvh.jpg

I split up some oak blocks into chunks using the BK 10 and an oak mallet I made the other day.

drEXi7Ph.jpg

I cut some hickory with the 10 and baton.

3b1PKLWh.jpg

Some bending and folding of the woven wire made a serviceable grill basket. Add some jalapeño cheese brats and a split stick to hold it closed and provide a handle.

8KL8imjh.jpg

Then just lay it over the coals.

bpdFouLh.jpg

eSA7HzTh.jpg

I like the buns lightly toasted.

Dzo642zh.jpg

Added some homemade barbecue sauce I learned to make from watching Ethan in his kitchen, and some peach slices on the side.

F1xa6z1h.jpg

Thought I would use this this time.
2DXTH9Q.jpg
[/IMG]
2DXTH9Q.jpg

A little Fat wood & osage shavings.
6T2r05F.jpg

Some people carry a magnifying glass to help start fires so that is what I used, but I needed a little help holding it.
SHUW87q.jpg

That is better. Now I have a free hand.
g1YCUri.jpg

a94XWi1.jpg

It was late in the day but I got smoke quickly.
KthvMCr.jpg

Once the fire was going I put some Bannock on. ( I cheated even with a magnifier this large I had trouble with the angle this late in the day. When you get the angle right this thing will melt a aluminum can.)
vzFZ8uy.jpg

Wile it was cooking I touched up the edge with the stone attached to the back of the sheath.
8XnlQ7X.jpg

Also had a little water.
wZFGFvu.jpg

I bought both the KaBar & the desert water bag when I was in 29 palms years ago.
The bannock was a cinnamon mix I have stored in my kit for a few years. I was edible but dry.
wvEXw5q.jpg

BK#188
2DXTH9Q.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job folks!
some good entries here so I'm enlisting a bit of help in awarding prizes.
Once I hear back from E -- and any mods who want to send me a PM with their votes -- I'll post up the winners.

Thanks Vic for starting this contest and congrats to the winners :thumbsup:

Congrats to the winners! Thanks for having the contest vik, very cool of you to do so. Been a long time since I've seen a contest around these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back