We were all new here once

Being relatively new this forum, but not to knives, I have an above average knowledge base on the subject, but for the most part I'm here to see and learn new things, but ever since I've joined I've kind of just stayed a shadow in the background and made limited posts and comments just because I don't have the time/want to deal with some of the over the top criticism and insults from certain members. If I ask a question, it's not because I'm stupid, or am to lazy to go find the answer myself, it's because I prefer to get a real world answer from some of the members with vast knowledge and hear their real world experiences on the subject or topic, or even newbies like my self that have a lot of experience on it. Some of the members here have been very helpful and have really tried to help, but in comparison to how many members I've seen jump on someone because of a simple question, it's a small fraction. It can be very off putting to this entire sect of the community or the hobby as a whole to someone with even less knowledge than myself, that is just stepping into this whole new realm. I agree with the OP 100% on this. Thank you for saying something and making it known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I am new so I may be posting in the wrong place if I am please point me in the right direction. I have a knife with the name BGBOWLES on it. I am trying to find out any info. I do have pics if anyone can help me. Thank you.

Yes I am new so I may be posting in the wrong place if I am please point me in the right direction. I have a knife with the name BGBOWLES on it. I am trying to find out any info. I do have pics if anyone can help me. Thank you.
Welcome to Bladeforums Sandra :).

There is a sub-forum here at Bladeforums specifically for identifying knives, I will direct you there. In the top left hand side of the Bladeforums screen, under the Bladeforums logo, there is a white "button" that says "Forum", if you click on that button you will be taken to the forum directory. In the top box of the directory is a sub-forum entitled Bernard Levine's Knife Collecting & Identification". Click on that, start a new thread, and post your questions. People there will likely ask you to post pictures of the knife to make identification easier.

To start a new thread click on the blue "+ Post New Thread" button in the upper left hand corner on the first page of any given sub-forum a little further on down from the Bladeforums logo. Then post your thread just like a regular post. You need to be logged in to see that button.

To post pics, you need to either use a site like Photobucket, or email the pics to another member so that they can post them for you (if a member volunteers to do so).

And welcome to all the other new members who have posted here :).

I am new to the forum and glad to see this post. Just thinking back on the purchases I have made this year, there are already plenty that I regret...

Hello this is my first post here. I am interested in knife collecting but have a lots to learn still (started a couple of months ago) and so have been trying to get out and read text instead of just watch videos etc. Thanks for your patience and understanding. I have also constructed some blacksmith equipment. A propane forge and an anvil. Some of it is very backyard tech and simplistic of course, but I have also been practicing at welding etc, so I think it is good for experiments and or projects to be potentially useful tools even if they have some flaws or problems.

Hello this is my first post here. I am interested in knife collecting but have a lots to learn still (started a couple of months ago) and so have been trying to get out and read text instead of just watch videos etc. Thanks for your patience and understanding. I have also constructed some blacksmith equipment. A propane forge and an anvil. Some of it is very backyard tech and simplistic of course, but I have also been practicing at welding etc, so I think it is good for experiments and or projects to be potentially useful tools even if they have some flaws or problems.
Welcome to Bladeforums. I hope to see some of your work posted here someday :).

And welcome to you too Zhuzhufd. :)

Greetings all.

Not new to knives and gear but new to the forum. Would love to expand my knowledge base and have heard good things about this place from participation in other forums and the online gear scene. I may not be new but i barely know what I don't know and look forward to having my horizons broadened.

Welcome to Bladeforums. I hope to see some of your work posted here someday :).

And welcome to you too Zhuzhufd. :)

Thanks killgar ! Not sure where to post my first homemade blade at. What section should I post it at ?

Thanks killgar ! Not sure where to post my first homemade blade at. What section should I post it at ?
Many people post their first homemade knives here in General Discussion, but there's also the "Custom & Handmade Knives" sub-forum where people show their work. You can find that sub-forum by clicking on the white "forum" button in the top left corner of the screen under the Bladeforums logo, that will take you to the forum directory. The "custom" sub-forum can be found in the top box of the directory. Just click on the sub-forum title.

As for myself, I post my work in the switchblade sub-forum. I design and build one of a kind switchblades. Here's me shamelessly showing off my last completed knife ;). There's nothing wrong with showing off knives around here, in fact it's encouraged :).

Many of the parts I made from scratch. I didn't make the blade, I converted the blade from a fixed-blade boot knife.

P1010435_zpshqv56bm0.jpg

Many people post their first homemade knives here in General Discussion, but there's also the "Custom & Handmade Knives" sub-forum where people show their work. You can find that sub-forum by clicking on the white "forum" button in the top left corner of the screen under the Bladeforums logo, that will take you to the forum directory. The "custom" sub-forum can be found in the top box of the directory. Just click on the sub-forum title.

As for myself, I post my work in the switchblade sub-forum. I design and build one of a kind switchblades. Here's me shamelessly showing off my last completed knife ;). There's nothing wrong with showing off knives around here, in fact it's encouraged :).

Many of the parts I made from scratch. I didn't make the blade, I converted the blade from a fixed-blade boot knife.

P1010435_zpshqv56bm0.jpg

Very nice looking knife, mines not that pretty but here goes :D

29755032105_dfe4b562af_b.jpg

Very nice looking knife, mines not that pretty but here goes :D

29755032105_dfe4b562af_b.jpg

Any knife you make yourself is worth showing off. They don't have to be pretty to get the job done :thumbup:.

Hello everyone, I just joined the cite and I'm wondering
where on here would be a good place on this cite for knife identification,
any feedback or links would be appreciated

Hello everyone, I just joined the cite and I'm wondering
where on here would be a good place on this cite for knife identification,
any feedback or links would be appreciated
Welcome to Bladeforums N8c. :)

There is a sub-forum here specifically for identifying knives. To find that sub-forum, click on the white "Forum" button in the upper left hand corner of the screen under the Bladeforums logo. That will take you to the forum directory. The sub-forum you are looking for is the "Bernard Levine's Knife Collecting & Identification" forum. It's in the top box of the directory. Click on the sub-forum title and you'll be there.

People will ask you to provide pictures of the knife for easier identification (identification may not be possible without pics, but they are not always needed). To post photos on this forum you need to use an image hosting site like Photobucket, etc.

Hello all! This seems to be the de facto thread for a new member's "first post"! I've been lurking the forums now for months and I've found them to be a valuable (and commonly entertaining) information resource. "Thank you" to all the good people here who have, and are willing to continue, to share their knowledge, expertise, and informed opinions toward the enlightenment of all of us who share an interest in the "knife culture". Looking forward to learning more and to contributing where I can.

I personally think newbies should be shot. Oh, wait a minute, I'm a newbie......
Forget that last statement.

I totally agree with the OP. I'm not the most educated guy here and I don't post alot. But I relish the opportunity to educate younger people/ city slickers about knives and edged tools. My only disagreement with the OP is that our obsession with knives is more of a lifestyle not hobby. Great post.

Hi all. Just joined the site. Been a blade freak since I was a kid making throwing knives and throwing stars in Dad's machine shop on the farm. Is there an introduction thread, or is this it?

Back