1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Weekend holster

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by mt_hangglider, Apr 10, 2017.

1. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Happy Monday! :D Thought I'd share my weekend project with you guys. This is actually kind of special since it's the first paid work I've accepted in the two or three years I've been doing leather. I've traded work for work but never an outright sale. This guy approached me just the right way by saying he wanted a 5" 1911 holster made but he'd let me decide the materials (so long as it was dark), didn't care about the cost, how long it took, etc. Basically no pressure whatsoever. Anyway, without further ado, this is the result. Hope everyone has a great week!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jody744 likes this.
  2. usmc0341

usmc0341

Jun 14, 2007
    Beautiful work! Is that shark?

3. just-a-hunter

just-a-hunter KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 5, 2015
    Nice!

Todd

4. Macan

Macan

Apr 7, 2014
    Very nice!

5. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator

Nov 30, 2001
    very nice!

6. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Thank you! It is.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks!

7. sheathmaker

sheathmaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    I can't even imagine it being any better than that. One of the best I've ever seen.

Paul

8. rgepting

rgepting KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 1, 2007
    Great looking Holster

9. High Standard

High Standard

Mar 23, 2017
    Really nice work. I'm sure you'll be getting more orders once his buddies see his. I love the Shark on the front panel.

10. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Thank you Paul! That means a lot coming from you sir! By the way, I'm sure you're not lacking for clientele but I had a high end knife collector contact me the other day about a fixed blade sheath. I told him if it were me, I'd talk to the best there is and gave him your contact info. :thumbup:

Thank you sir! When I first got into leather, your website was part of the inspiration to start doing it myself. You do extremely nice work.

Thank you! I'm sure, lol. I don't want the word to get out too much as I've already got a full time day job. Seems like there is enough demand out there to do leather work full time if a person wanted to though. Maybe someday.

11. Eaglestroker

Eaglestroker

Mar 7, 2011
    The polish on those edges really oozes through the screen. GREAT work!

12. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Gorgeous Chad. You be there buddy. Can't think of anything to do better. Wow.

It can be done. For many years I had a full time job, a lot of the time two full time jobs. Did leather on the side. That way when you are ready to go full time you already have a customer base built up.

13. mt_hangglider

mt_hangglider

Jan 19, 2009
    Thank you sir! I've really been focusing a lot of energy on edges and it's definitely starting to pay off.

Thank you Dave, that means a lot coming from you as well! That's what I figure. Resisted selling anything for a long time (not for lack of offers) but I've finally come to a place where I don't mind doing some limited projects here and there for some extra cash. You're exactly right, whenever I decide it's time for a career change or a retirement gig, I'll have a lot of experience and customers already built up.

14. claude scott

claude scott making custom sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 28, 2011
    Really nice lots of class Thanks for showing

15. Jody744

Jody744

Jan 8, 2009
    The back panel is incredible also!