Welcome to the Subforum! Lots of exciting stuff coming soon!

Huntsman Knife Co.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey guys,

As you can see the subforum is now up and running and I'm happy to announce that there is alot of awesome stuff on the way for 2015.

I've been backed up with work lately but plan on bringing some exciting new designs out in the immediate future and also doing more runs of old favorites. So here's what I will have available for purchase in the coming months

Up on the deck for January and February

Fell Beast Machetes, standard and ring choil
Fell Beast Bolo
"The Liberator" Heavy Bolo
Parang
Utility Hawks
Breaching Hawk

March
Z-Wear Fjord hikers
CPM 10V and 3V EDC
CPM 10V and 3V Hacksaw
(crazy excited about this model)

April
3rd Run of Fell Beasts
"Master's Series" Heavy Fell Beasts in .147 CPM 3V with Multicolor G10 scales and other custom options.

"Liberator Bolo"
20141231_112035_zps01d20cea.jpg

"Fell Beast Bolo"
763fce7e-91fe-4aef-90f2-b44dd8a4dd79_zpsahvelqa0.jpg

"Utility Hawk"
2264dda2-cd02-4f66-a8a4-f2ea55eff987_zps70375a6f.jpg

"Fell Beast Machetes"
ad665ad1-1fd6-49fa-b298-b04cdbee56ce_zpsc3b9124f.jpg

Fjord Hiker and EDC
20140808_160103_zps47e33631.jpg

Breaching Hawk
Fjord Hiker
Hack Saw
EDC

1145f757-3b25-455c-afed-548d274c8b2d_zps827f9077.jpg

Uhh, you can't be talking about parangs without at least a CAD sketch! :)

Love me some parangs. The other offerings look great too Hunter. Congrats on the subforum.

I've got more than a CAD sketch :D

I had two of these Prototype blanks cut from .178 52100. Just tempered back the spine on this blank. Hopefully the temper line will show after an etch. This is going to be a heavy, hard hitting parang for hard wood forests. I plan on making a much lighter and thinner version for the jungles of south america and southeast asia, likely from AEBL or 12c27.

Big blades are going to be my focus this year so expect a Kukri, bowie, and two handed bush sword within the next couple months. ;)

20150127_005232_zpsrdtkebxc.jpg

haha didn't notice the loose fly. I guess I always go for maximum comfort in the shop :eek:

The parang is 21.5 overall with a 15inch blade and is cut from .175 stock. I think this model is going to be a hit!

Look whats currently at the water jet :D

36 inches of .170 3V. This is going to be more or less the king of all things that chop

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-22%20at%2011.08.35%20PM_zpsktmcx3rq.png

Great to see you've got your own forum up and running Hunter. I look forward to all these models, particularly the cpm3v choppers. How will 3v compare to 52100 performance do you think?

Hey,

Thanks for posting and im glad your bolo is working out for you!

Ive used alot of 3V and even more 52100 in the time ive been making blades here what Ive drawn from my experience.

For a big chopper, 3V will be better, but most of the time the performance improvement is not worth the price for the customer. The main advantages of 3V in a huge blade are stain resistance and the ability to take and hold a thinner edge and grind. Wear resistance isnt a big part of the equation when it comes to chopping since most of the loss of sharpness comes from chipping or rolling and not from abrasion. So 3V will be able to take a thinner edge which will make it bite deeper and it will be more stain resistant but these advantages come at a huge cost. Thats why I prefer to make my machetes from 52100. It has amazing performance and it keeps cost way down foe the customer. Also in a super thin blade I think the speing tempered spine that can be done on 52100 gives it an advantage over 3V in the toughness department but I havent directly tested this so its purely theoretical at the moment.

So to sum it up , 3V is better, but in most cases the slight increase in performance is not going to be worth the massive increase in cost.

For this blade I used 3V because i needed an air hardening steel due to the length of the blade. (Peters cant oil quench a blade this big) I will also use some s7 for this model in the future

Just got turned on to your work. These things look very nice.
Is there a place where I can see more? What are you charging for some of these models?

Hey Rasco,

Thanks for posting! The other thread in this forum has info on available models and pricing. I also have a website huntsmanknifeco.com but its under construction right now.

Thanks and drop me a PM or email if you see anything that interests you or have any questions

I just noticed you have a sub forum now. I will have to post some pics of the Fell Beast. It's certainly been getting a workout.

Welcome & congratulations on the sub forum.
I really like the Liberator Bolo.

Tankerwolf-

I Love to see some pics of your Fell beast. I just made a new thread for user pics!

LG&M

Thanks so much for stopping by to post! The Liberator bolo is the best chopping blade I've used yet for hard woods. In my testing it blasted through frozen hickory pretty easily.

20141226_094753_zpsbd729e8b.jpg

Hey totallynotlex,

I am currently taking orders and can probably modify a design to your liking. Drop me a PM or email and we can discuss further.

Back