Well its pointless....

What a wonderful post, Dave. Thank you. I enjoy the way your posts like this progress in both pictures and prose and give us a view into your life and work.

I'd never realized that one reason for not having a sharp point on a spey blade is to prevent the knife user from being cut. I always thought it purely had to do with protecting what was being cut. I'm always glad to have the opportunity to learn something new. Thanks for that, too.

My favorite fixed "ever" was one of yours with a sterling silver bolster and end cap. Finally had to sell it to a Texas preacher who wouldn't give up...
Now I need to look at your beautiful knives again...I need a really good 3 1/4" slicer for my casual carry needs.
Thanks for a great pictorial survey of your work. truly enjoyed it.
Don

Those are some good-looking and interesting knives, Dave! As several others have stated already, thanks for sharing a little bit of your world with us, and for sharing part of the thought process and reasoning behind these purpose-built creations. Nice work! :thumbsup:

Fantastic thread, Dave. Thank you so much for taking the time the share your knowledge. I most thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for the great thread Dave with informative story and great pics! It gives an nice insight in the life of cowboys ansd knifemakers :)

Thanks you guys!

Thanks Cory, I am a firm believer in there is always something else to learn. It really is interesting to see how things are different different places.

Machina we were just talking about that. That it would be handy even roping em cause then you're not walking around a branding pen and sometimes jumping out of the way, or getting knocked around with a sharp ointy object.

Thanks Wurrwoulf for the kind words!

Thats an interesting thought joe, hmm.

Rookie, Stealth, Ace and Mcar thanks very much guys!

Really fascinating post, Dave! :thumbsup::cool: That's quite a knife you designed, and I'm glad you're finding a market for them.

(As a math guy, I'm curious as heck about how the estimate of a million calves cut by the experienced cowboy who designed your Tapadero was arrived at! :eek::confused: One way to get to a million is 55 calves per day, 365 days per year, for 50 years - that's a LOT of cuttin'!! ;) If you were from Texas, I'd say it's one of those "embellished" tales that Texans are known for. :D)

- GT

Okidokie GT here's the math and its even a better story. My friend and I Mike "Tapadero" Vatalero are sitting under a tree outside of Sacramento Ca once upon a time. Its crazy hot and we're watching the wives ride in a ladies only horsemanship clinic. Our main job of the day as we self proscribed it was to monitor the interior temp of the ice chests. Tapadero or Tap is Mike's nickname. A tapadero is a stirrup covering like here on my saddle after a long morning checking the high country for cattle:

PLuc0lM.jpg

Tap is an extremely talented and skilled bit and spur maker and if you have ever seen any of my engraved knives, Tap did the engraving:

OTn8dtv.jpg

urlo7Jd.jpg

Here he is in his booth at the Brannaman Pro Am last Oct. Our booth was just down the aisle from his. To show ya how small a world our deal is the lady he is talking to in this pic was the sponsor of the clinic on the day in question when the ice chests needed constant monitoring.

wHzvTG7.jpg

A couple of his bridle bits that we use often. He made the two on the right:

r6d2IKY.jpg

Anyhoo Tap was "Bedroll" cowboy for over 30 years. A bedroll cowboy is one that basically owns nothing but his bedroll. Today that equates to what can fit in the back of a pickup or the tackroom of your trailer and maybe a horse or two. There are some of these guys left but not a lot. The big ranches that employed a big crew are getting few and far.

So sitting under the tree I ask Tap "how many calves ya think you've cut in your lifetime?" Ya can see him doing the math in his head...well I was on the ZX for 6 years and they ran so many momma cows and I was on the Padlock for 3 years and they had so many momma cows and MC for 5 years and they had so many........ On the Y Bar for so long.. The Span for this amount of time. So despite the calculations needed here one has to take in all the neighboring ya'd do. All ranches help the neighbors some so that threw more in and he still runs ranches in Northern Ca and I've been with here in Southern Ca when we've cut a few hundred together. Many of these larger ranches will brand for 4 to 5 months doing several hundred a day. Ya might be out on "the wagon", camping where the cattle are for months at a time.

After several minutes of hard thought which also included several mandatory spits of chew he says "probably over a million". I says draw me out the perfect branding knife. He kneels down in the dirt and draws it out. The only thing I changed is I curved the back of the handle down a bit (he'd drawn it straight) as I knew that with the curve it would fit a larger variety of hands. Here it is in sambar stag with a mammoth tooth spacer and filework:

6UknkCy.jpg

I named it after him The Tapadero and he got the first one. There are some large ranches out there still that count their cows in the tens of thousands and their acres by the hundreds of thousands. Their are ranches that are bigger than some of the eastern states and this is what Tap did for 30 years.

Watch this trailer. Have your speakers on the music is great and the thoughts expressed are profound:

So many folks have tried it and not got it right, finally someone did. Hope the documentary is as good as the trailer. This is creating quite a stir in our world.

Last edited:
Thanks chui and mqqn!
Thanks Jack! Thats why Horsewright's slogan is "Designed from the saddle, for the saddle".

Thanks Waynorth, Jrwak, and JB!

Good deal Ratbert. We actually do more on IG, lots of pics there.

Thanks Paul and Ernie!

Sacto cool deal. Where ya at? We're in Tehachapi.

Here's one out of left field. I'm betting those would make a great kitchen knife, maybe just with a little longer blade. After all, even Cowboys gotta eat.

Years ago my wife bought a folding knife from L.L. Bean. The blade is thin and completely rounded at the end. A stamp on the blade reads "Camp Knife" and it has a linerless plastic handle like a Spiderco. The handle is finely checkered to prevent slippage. The overall length is 9". It slices real good and the round end makes it easy to get things out of a jar like peanut butter or mayo. It's a quality knife and real handy in the camp kitchen.

Thanks for your post Dave. It was very interesting and your pictures are terrific. You make a real nice knife.

Thanks Bill, I make a roundnose skivving knife for leather work designed by our own Paul Long (sheathmaker here on BF). The edge goes all the way up the rounded nose. While a very specific leather working tool, it makes a heck of a bread knife too!

That knife ain't pointless! A broken pencil is pointless... Anyway nice knife, bet it has a lot of uses we aren't even thinking of like a skinner. No tip to nick the intestines.

:cool:
Really fascinating post, Dave! :thumbsup:That's quite a knife you designed, and I'm glad you're finding a market for them.

(As a math guy, I'm curious as heck about how the estimate of a million calves cut by the experienced cowboy who designed your Tapadero was arrived at! :eek::confused: One way to get to a million is 55 calves per day, 365 days per year, for 50 years - that's a LOT of cuttin'!! ;) If you were from Texas, I'd say it's one of those "embellished" tales that Texans are known for. :D)

- GT

5K Qs 5K Qs , practical math aside, if you are cutting calves by the hundreds in the hot sun all day, it might not take too long to "seem" like a million. :cool:

Paul

Okidokie GT here's the math and its even a better story. My friend and I Mike "Tapadero" Vatalero are sitting under a tree outside of Sacramento Ca once upon a time. Its crazy hot and we're watching the wives ride in a ladies only horsemanship clinic. Our main job of the day as we self proscribed it was to monitor the interior temp of the ice chests. ...
Thanks for the story, Dave; it's definitely a good one! :cool::thumbsup: I really admired the way that the story starts with you and Tap doing your civic duty by monitoring the ice chests! :D
That's some incredible engraving that your friend Tap does. :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I enjoyed the video, too; thanks.

:cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs , practical math aside, if you are cutting calves by the hundreds in the hot sun all day, it might not take too long to "seem" like a million. :cool:

Paul
Good point, Paul. I grew up on a dairy farm and it sure seems like I baled a million bales of hay before I turned 18! I doubt if the math works out to confirm that, but you'd sure have trouble convincing me that my perception is wrong! :rolleyes:

- GT

I says draw me out the perfect branding knife. He kneels down in the dirt and draws it out. The only thing I changed is I curved the back of the handle down a bit (he'd drawn it straight) as I knew that with the curve it would fit a larger variety of hands. Here it is in sambar stag with a mammoth tooth spacer and filework:

6UknkCy.jpg

It's a beautiful knife. The Tapadero caught my eye while browsing your knife examples a while back and I got a kick out of reading about its genesis and about the man whose nickname it bares. Thanks for sharing the story.

I'm curious about the term "branding knife." Is branding a blanket term that applies to the process of branding, castrating, vaccinating, and doing all the other things that are required for a new calf?

Dave- I'm in Sacramento. We've got cattle scattered around this general area. We also summer a bunch of cattle in southern Oregon, so I go up there several times during the summer.

Greg- Branding can refer to the actual act of branding a calf or, as you said, it can be sort of a blanket term that would refer to the event where calves are branded, castrated, vaccinated, dehorned if needed. In either case the knife is used for castrating and a hot iron for the branding.

My nephew went to a branding in Salinas (central ca) and he said most of those guys were using yellow case peanuts, which surprised me a bit. Although I guess it shouldn't be too surprising, as it doesn't take much of a knife as long as it's sharp.

If you think about it, if he roped 200 calves a day for five months of the year, that's 840,000 calves in 30 years. Doesn't take much more a day to get to a million especially if he's helping a nieghbor/friend or competing.

Remember, half of those calves are heifers that don't need to be cut.

Back