Wess Barnhill JS - Ironwood bowie with a touch of gold.

Greetings all,

This piece counts as my lone Blade score. :)

Though in fact, it was an ordered piece that happened to be ready for delivery just prior to Blade. I suggested to Wess that he show it off and then ship it to me when the show was done.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Wess' work is already in a pretty exceptional class when it comes super CLEAN fit and finish. It's the type of thing that doesn't jump out at you in photos, but definitely does in person. I can remember well looking over the JS test knives of the likes of Kyle Royer and Nick Wheeler - and a large body of the JS work of Russ Andrews before he ascended to the MS ranks. It's that level of clean that I'm seeing here. Don't say I didn't give you a heads-up!

Wess and I played around with a few variations of blade / guard and handle and settled on the end result you see below. The idea was for a moderately compact bowie with just a small added touch of embellishment.

As summarized by Wess:

This is a great little knife! It is the perfect size to carry around in
the woods. Not to small not to big, just perfect. I am thinking about
making one for myself. If I can find the time.

The blade steel on your knife is 1075. The guard and pommel cap are 416
stainless steel. The ferrule and pommel nut are 1018 mild steel that are
browned with a product from Laurel Mountain Forge called barrel brown.
Last but not least the ferrule and pommel nut have 24 karat gold inlay.

Blade length is 8 3/4" with an overall length a shade over 13 3/4" (excluding the pommel nut).

The subtle contouring of the handle is just spot on. Not as dramatic as the latest vogue, but indexing and blade retention are spot on. The knife has a very fast feel overall, and great balance.

orig.jpg

Wess is VERY handy with the leather work as well - and I understand that he has been following the great treasure of information available in the Paul Long DVD series.

This is just a quick snap, but you will get the idea. Ostrich inlay.

orig.jpg

Finally, a quick peek at the last bit of detailing that finishes off this knife:

orig.jpg

Wess, it has been a pleasure - thanks for the great knife and keep up the exceptional work.

Thanks to all for looking and reading.

Roger

Every line and facet seems to compliment the whole....
Very attractive piece...

As good as they get, and from an aspiring JS...?! Hot stock tip....

I wish I'd seen that sheath. What a gem! Props to all.

Great knife & sheath!

Great score Roger!

At the 2016 Blade Show Wess took valuable time at his table to tell me how he domes his handle pins, that, I will not forget. His work impressed me and he impressed me as a person. He deserves all the acclaim coming his way!

Steve
--------
Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Foundation
ABS AP

Back