What basic things to knife companies frequently get wrong?

19-3ben

Gold Member
We all know that companies put a lot of R&D into their knives, but somehow sometimes basic things seem to come out in a way that is just objectively wrong, and I have to wonder how.

The classic example I think of first are all the times that a fixed blade sheath is made of a glass filled nylon, and designed such that the edge of the blade is dulled by the sheath every time it is put in/removed from the sheath. Kabar has done it, Cold Steel has done it, and I'm sure more examples that I'm not thinking of (I think Spyderco but the specific example doesn't come to mind immediately). It just seems like a basic thing and I wonder how it wasn't caught and corrected before they went to production.

So what objectively wrong things do you see knife companies making and wonder how they weren't caught and corrected before the blunders hit the market?

Note- I am NOT asking about trends like "it's a mistake that there are so many Ti handled flippers with bearings." I could care less about that because trends, esthetics, ergos... all subjective. I'm asking about an objective error as noted above.

They put crap jimping on them that is too deep and too widely spaced, when it should be very fine and closely spaced like the teeth of a file to grip your thumb.

They focus way to much about it being this shape and having these lines to it, not because it's a good knife design but because they think it makes it a cool looked object.
Focus on just making a cutting tool with a good utilitarian blade shape and ergonomic handle, not an object that has this " cool " shape or style to it.
This may be cosmetic, but a lot of companies could put out a lot more knife for the money if they were much simpler. There's no reason a modern folder can't be simple as a sodbuster ( doesn't have to look like or be one, but could use the " design " free simplicity )

They make blades that are too thick, and too broad.

They put lanyard holes too close to the spine of the handle when it should be at the end.

They put really aggressive and deep serrations at the wrong part of the blade, when they should at the very most if at all be towards the tip and very fine.

There are some very bad offenders for sheaths dulling knives. A correctly built plastic sheath should have the blade edge sit in the seam where the 2 halves of the sheath meet so it never touches the edge.

The Spyderco that is particularly bad is the Street Beat. It will be slicing paper cleanly, put it in the sheath, take it out, now it's become quite dull.

Here's another stupid error, Chris Reeve I'm looking at you. Making knives with a thumbstud for right handed people and nothing for lefties. Commmmmeee onnnn!

Pocket clips. Too tight, not deep enough, too big/noticeable, too flimsy, pushing against a grippy surface to eat pockets...Rarely do I see perfectly done clips, but some seem to be doing them well more often.

The combination of clip and overly aggressive handle texture that tears up pocket material, when everything else on a particular knife is perfect.

Jim

pushing against a groovy surface to eat pockets...

Oh yeah!!! this!!!

One thing I love about the Delica is that the bidirectional texturing has the flat spot in the center where the Spyderco logo is, and the pocket clip contacts the flat spot so it doesn't grind up my pants. Some others... not so much.

Note- I am NOT asking about trends like "it's a mistake that there are so many Ti handled flippers with bearings." I could care less about that because trends, esthetics, ergos... all subjective. I'm asking about an objective error as noted above.

Well that didn't work. :cool:

Overly rough texture on a knife that tears up pants is my biggest complaint. Not having ambi options for clip positioning is a close second. So many nice knives I can't even consider because no left hand support. Also some companies can not for the life of them get pocket clips right. Some are just too flimsy, or too strong and snap. Some are painted and lose their finish over time and look horrific (and leave paint flecks in your pocket).

Lack of sharpening choils on a lot of popular knives. This isn't a big deal breaker for me, but come on, it's not that hard to cut one out.

Sharp edges on the inside of the folding knife, especially on knives with exposed liners. Even G10 scales can be sharp. Shouldn't be too costly of a process to finish the knife up a tad in the factory. Or maybe it is, who knows?

Inconsistent lockups on knives. This kills me. Some companies (and I won't name them) just can't seem to get this right. You buy two of the same model at any random time and one will lock up nice and the other one will have bad lock slip. Usually not an issue on frame locks, but certain liner locks are extremely hit or miss. Really frustrating.

I'll stop there, as I think I'm not old enough to tell knife manufacturers to get off my lawn yet.

One that comes to mind involves the kydex sheaths made by Tops. They loosen up some over time, but they are way to tight when bought new. Tops said they are known for their tight sheaths. Then they sent me instructions on how to loosen it by heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer. I don't think the customer should have to make modifications on a product to get it to work properly.

Chisel-ground blades that are ground on the wrong side (I'm looking at you, Ernest Emerson). The flat side should face you when you're holding it in your dominant hand. Duh.

Flipper tabs that are so big, you can't actually use the edge against a cutting board.

Thumb studs that stick out so far (and are placed so far forward on the blade) that they get in the way both of slicing and of sharpening.

Super thick blades that are then saber ground, which end up so thick behind the edge that you can't actually cut anything. It's a knife, not a splitting maul! If you're going to use 1" thick stock, have the decency to give it a full flat grind (or generous hollow grind).

"Overbuilt" knives where one half is a thick, heavy, chunk of titanium and the other half is...a slab of G10? Seriously? No liners or anything? WTF?

Chisel-ground blades that are ground on the wrong side (I'm looking at you, Ernest Emerson).

I love Emerson designs, but I'm totally in agreement with this. As a user I would prefer it on the proper side. That being said.... he does that specifi ally for reverse grip

Definitely the edge, detent and lockup are major mistakes. Blade centring and blade play is another. Uneven bevel and edge grinds

How about heat treat? I know alot of guys are messing that that up. How about power grinding the knife too hot?

Those Emersons work out perfect for me. I carry em lefty set up for reverse edge waving. Then using them forward grip in my left hand....just perfect.

Thumb ramps way too low on the blade because it looks better there, except then when you actually extend your thumb (and I have small hands, too boot) your thumb extends way past it and so now you have a ramp jutting up into the underside of your phalanges.

Sharpening the WHOLE edge of the blade. Lots of companies refuse to sharpen that last bit of edge. Also, already mentioned earlier, uniform sharpening angles. 20 degree on BOTH sides would be nice and save me the time of fixing it myself.

Back