What did you rehang today?

Hi all,

First post, long time reader. My latest rehang:

SN150002_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
SN150004_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Dan.[/QUOTE]

Wow! My compliments. Wonderfully intuitive balanced handle shape you've carved out there. Let us know how this 'holds up' in actual use because grain runout is impossible to avoid with such steep curves.

300six,

Thank you for the compliments, i do appreciate. You are right about the possibility of a runout. It's actually an experiment, i've carved this handle with only one thing in mind: the balance. I've seen once a picture of this exact same head with a very curved handle. It was in a book about the different forestry works and i assume the axe pictured had really been used by a lumberjack. Of course i have no clue of the wood used, the grain orientation, the density of the growing rings, and the skills of the crafter which were certainly way better than mines. I've done my best in the choice of the piece of wood, i've let it as thick as possible under the eye but there is no guarantee of a safe behavior. I 've tested it at splitting about one meter square of knotty oak logs but any conclusion would be premature, the wood will react to the impacts in an impredictible way. Only time will tell. All what can be said is there is a risk.

Dan.

Last edited:
Square Peg, Garry3,

Thanks.

Do you mean the piece of glass on the log? It's a scraper, i don't like to use sand paper and i don't like the result it gives. I don't have made the GB handle, i wish i could!

Dan.

Ohh! I see it is glass now. I like your style Dan.;)

So this was my first hang ever and i think it turned out well. Forgot to get a pic of the eye but its wedged with an aluminum wedge i cut off an old engine bracket from a dirt bike haha.
LX0lVrJ.jpg

This one is 2.25lb total weight, the head is 29oz. The slim ash handle is 19" long.

That is a great looking pairing JB. It looks like it wants to be picked up and used - very nice work on the handle and the head!

Had fun with this one.

Attachments

• plumb topshot.jpg
    plumb topshot.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 11
  • plumb hatchet.jpg
    plumb hatchet.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Plumb 3 website.jpg
    Plumb 3 website.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 11
That is a great looking pairing JB. It looks like it wants to be picked up and used - very nice work on the handle and the head!

I hope so! I'm trading this to a guy I frequently buy rusty stuff from for an undetermined pile of said rusty stuff.

Union Tool Co, Charleston, WV USA, 3.5# Michigan. 31.5” octagonalized.
Interesting in-and-out mix of sap/heartwood in the handle. Some checking in the swell but short of living outside full-time it should be good.

NQr5ZdV.jpg

ylFLs1W.jpg

I figure it will chop things.
bDtStgD.jpg

S0REcKV.jpg

B3QugBT.jpg

FGlciIf.jpg

It's thirsty here lol.
IuUkFYk.jpg

m2KwYON.jpg

RcC6WGO.png

Chalk is optional.

Last edited:
I haven't swung it into anything yet but the way it came out it's weighted right behind the head.

Guess if you planned on carrying it in hand it feels lighter than some others.

That might be helpful with fatigue or when you have to do some clambering on an incline to get to what you want to chop.

Thank you though. I have plenty axes but I'm convinced they all like good handles and being sharp.

Otherwise they get passed over- then I have to ask why I have it all.

Aikonen, that is a fine looking set-up. The straight handle seems to fit the whole package. Any markings on the head itself?

I have to convert mm to inches either online or grab a tape measure to be sure every time - Standard system hold-out. So, about 29 inches?

Did you do the bark sheath there on your carving knife as well?

Aikonen, that is a fine looking set-up. The straight handle seems to fit the whole package. Any markings on the head itself?

I have to convert mm to inches either online or grab a tape measure to be sure every time - Standard system hold-out. So, about 29 inches?

Did you do the bark sheath there on your carving knife as well?

I think so too, it turned out really well. Here's a photo of the mark, I had it sent away to a friend who did the electrolysis thingy on it, he told me he believed it was about a hundred years old since the marking said HM, which he told me was Hults Manufakturi. Below the stamp it says Hults Bruk Åby.

IMG_2150_zpsykqj4sab.jpg

Sorry about that, I was going to write the length in inches but then I remember that metric is superior, LOL, Jokes aside I didn't have my tape measure so couldn't remember how many inches it was.

Yes, I make a couple for my blades that does not have a sheath, it's a nice craft and fun to do. Once I tried to make a bark sheath for my axe, it did not turn out so well. :rolleyes:

IMG_2149_zpsycci0tnf.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my first rehang; I'd bought the head (Gransfors Burk 3 1/2lb) installed on a badly warped handle at a local second-hand hardware store. Picked the handle up locally, too. I've heard bad things about heartwood grain boundaries in a handle, hopefully it doesn't snap any time soon!

Attachments

• dounlebit31.jpg
    dounlebit31.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 72
  • doublebit21.jpg
    doublebit21.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 58
  • doublebit11.jpg
    doublebit11.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 58
Your hang looks very good.

The handle exhibits classic grain runout of the worst kind. It could easily break. Or the crack could open up just enough to let a little flesh in before springing back closed. I've experienced that. The resulting blood blister was spectacular!

Not to be rude, but wow, I agree with Square, that is probably the worst grain orientation on a handle that I have ever seen, and combined with a heartwood boundary running right down the middle its just waiting for some kind of interesting "event" to unfold.
Im not sure one could get any worse grain orientation or general poor handle selection if they intentionally tried.

good looking hang, and nice ax head though! :)

Back