What did you rehang today?

WP_20170425_002_zpsrmpvq2nd.jpg

Not sure where to start but that is really a wicked thing to see!

The first handle looked good. But ended up having cracks all through it. I literally bent it and snapped it with my hands.
So I ended up with this one.

Wonderful piece of wood! Looks to be about an inch of the old blade has gone missing through wear and tear and re-sharpening. Becomes a bear to re-profile once you arrive at that stage of the game. I'm no fan of power tools but to resurrect one of these otherwise requires an inordinate amount of elbow grease.

Kevin, I'm not super code smart but I think maybe your picture links from bushcraftnederland.nl are the code to download them to your machine/your access to their location and not the "display" codes.

At least when I mess with the links it takes me to an error page on their site gives a notice about keeping them under 10mb- google translate isn't perfect but the error page looks like something a logged-in member there would get.

It may be also that their site frowns upon offsite picture linking - some do that to limit the bandwidth traffic burden on them to become secondary content hosts.

Hickory n Steel wrote this up last night for Harry.

As far as a host, I use Photobucket but it can be annoying. Someone could recommend a better one.

If you have posts on the nederlandbushcraft site you might try navigating to one of your posts, right click, "copy image address", choose the Mountain/Sun icon, paste there (insert picture) - if that site doesn't host your picture directly you might just be able to lift the address of the one that does.

*I tried to make an account there just now but can't get through the antibot verification of the question, "wat krijg je na het omdraaien van sob:" lol (any help there would be appreciated););)
I used to she photobucket, but about a month ago my links stopped wanting to let me copy them.
I even went as far as to create a new email and new phb account which didn't work. I eventually got an email from an actual person after multiple messages to them and they told me this happened to a bunch of people and that they're trying to fix it. I keep checking it and it still doesn't work. So far I like postimage , but the only thing I don't like is that it doesn't post a full sized image.

3th's a charm (photobucket) :

Uhm, not quite today, but since I just like to post em:
Elwell axe 1943, with American handle (most likely a brush hook) and German Wedges:
WP_20170315_004_zpsqudahp7n.jpg

Mueller Hammerwerk Austrian hewing axe with a Red Meranti handle (1850):
WP_20170322_003_zpswvoyquxc.jpg

1750 Spanish axe from Toledo with a slipfit handle of Yew:
WP_20170510_001_zpszkxfhana.jpg

1840 French Double bit axe:
WP_20170425_009_zpsdvtk7kip.jpg

German hewing axe 1800 (ochsenkopf):
WP_20170407_006_zpseveujyg1.jpg

2 kemi Axes, one early 1890-1910 with a birch handle, the other one 1931 and used in de Finnish Russian war in 1937 with a hickory handle:
WP_20170425_002_zpsrmpvq2nd.jpg

WP_20170506_001_zpsgdgmilfo.jpg

Carpenters axe from my grandpa about 1950 or 1960 on an oak handle:
WP_20170613_001_zpsxnrouovt.jpg

Bonus:
Nessmuk axe 1780 (so not really a Nessmuk axe ;) )
WP_20170215_003_zpss54bk76e.jpg

"Watergeuzen Bijl" April 1st 1572 battle of "Den Briel". Fished out of the water in the port of Brielle, former Den Briel. Used during the forming of the Netherlands as we know it today. Ash handle. Axe used on a ship.
WP_20170114_003_zpshlhgeey6.jpg

That was in the last 2 months or so.... Except for the bonus pictures. Sorry for the shitty pictures!
That yew handle looks nothing like what we get around here with the size of the growth rings and color. Is that commonly what yours looks like?

Thanks, Kevin. They do show up now.

HRC 65? That is old school straight razor territory. No disrespect intended, but do you trust whomever made those readings? With angled surfaces it can be a little tricky.

I don’t know if stories or “What are you hanging today” is allowed.

About a week and a half ago I struck up a conversation with a guy at one of the used tool places I kind of haunt. He was looking at the axes. Turns out he was looking for a good handle to rehang his Dad’s Plumb boy’s axe for Father’s Day. He couldn’t find a boy’s axe handle. Mentioned he was recently married and bought tools with some of the gift money – the Granfors Bruk carpeneter hatchet was one of them. His father was from Russia and he had a Topor head of his that he planned to carve a handle for - he sent me some pictures last night and he is doing a great job of it.

Anyway, he ended up stopping by my place and picked out a handle and ended up wanting a good boy’s axe for himself. After he held several he came back to the one I actually use…

It was this guy (this is posted already somewhere around here):
po8LQYC.jpg

rtldBCN.jpg

vxynmxV.png

MAEZxRr.jpg

It’s an unmarked “Red Ridge Back”. Nothing fancy marking-wise but it chopped and handled great. I get why he picked it up – the same reason I do/did. A couple of nights ago I went for it to chop a fairly large limb that sheared off in the back and I looked for it before I remembered it was gone. The heat and some heavier wind took down some of the weaker limbs off the Silver Maples on the hill here.

“Phantom Axe Syndrome” – something I have only read about lol.
Also, I took some carving swings with his carpenter’s axe on a piece of Cherry and was thoroughly impressed.

Anyhow, now I need something to fill its place for duty:
826812DD-FAD7-4BFF-BE4D-65E8B718B8EB.jpg

Not finished or hung but fitted nice. 3lb Duquesne Jersey with a boy’s axe eye/28" handle.

Last edited:
Back