What do I have here?

P1050080_zpsmzabyqwo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1050081_zps3fbanyq7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1050082_zpsifuelkqd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
What do i have here?
Is this the "Midnight" tigershark? Coating is not as smooth or as blue as the few real Midnights I've seen pics of.

Are all black Tigersharks the Midnight version? This one has the rolled edge and has had very light sharpeneing.

I cant seem to find anything about this so any and all help anyone could provide is greatly appreciated,thanks.

Well, to start it was made in Seki......I think all "midnites" were made there.....could be wrong though. Unless you can get a true midnite to compare directly......or unless there is another means to verify that I'm not aware of......it could be hit or miss. Best of luck......but awesome blade regardless!!!

I compared this with a mates two real Midnights she has and the difference is very noticable.
Its not blued thats for sure,and she pointed out a small chip in the coating,someting a real
Middy wouldnt have.The staining on the edge also suggests Carbon Steel,in this case
most likely SK-5.

As to what it is,I've found some vague mention of there being a Black Powder Coated SK-5 version
made between the SMCA satin and the grey 440a versions.Why these were done like this and how many
remains a good question.

Super scarce at best would describe these,anyone else have one in there collection?
Any info would be greatly appreciated as well.

I have a small lockback folder which has checkered rubber scales and a very short, very thick, dagger-like blade with a thumb stud. I'd guess the blade is 440C.

On one side of the ricasso there is a stamped "SOG" but no other identifying marks. The blade is a little short of 3 inches.

I purchased it from a cutlery shop at the Boynton Beach, FL mall. I'm guessing the year was about 1996.

Any info about the knife would be greatly appreciated. the phot shows the knife mouted in my WEPS.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Wicked-E...Stuff/i-JtmJfd8/0/0a291af5/X3/IMG_0429-X3.jpg

I think you have a first gen tomcat.
Thanks, gadgetgeek. I Googled it and went through the array of photos and found only two that seem to match the blade I have. Tomcats seem to have clipped points where mine is a sort of drop point.
I was able to identify the knife as the shorter version of the SOGwinder I & II. Not sure which. It's a really heavy knife. From what I could find, the larger version weighs about 8 ounces. I'd have to switch to suspenders.

Sorry for not posting sooner, but thanks much for your reply posts, both gadgetgeek and GIRLYmann. You helped me solve a mystery I've been wondering about for a long time.

First Gen Tomcats had a nail nick, but no thumb stud...

That's really interesting. I've been farting around with knives for fifty-some years and never heard the term "nail nick" before. It never occurred to me that there would be a name for it. Probably because I've always had very thin nails that would fold over and break on all but the loosest blades. Thanks much!

Back