What do you drive?

Sounds fun. Never driven or even ridden in a car with half that much power (well maybe half).

Well, I currently have two cars, nothing special.

I'm selling to my cousin in July my 2012 Kia Forte Hatchback EX. Intake (short ram, can't risk cold air with Chicago's crazy weather), retuned ecu. Putting roughly 190hp out, which is plenty in a car that weigh just barely over 2600 lbs. I've got four 280 watt peak 2-way speakers in the doors, with an 800 watt 4-channel MTX amp. I left the stock tweeters in. Nav, sunroof. Bought it September of 2011, only 44k on it, only been in shop once a broken power window switch.

My other is a 2011 Kia Sorento SX. Every option available except 4wd. No mods, yet...

I have degenerative cartilage arthritis, and it's just hard to get in and out of a car, especially with this blasted walking boot on. So I'm selling the Forte and keeping the Sorento.

No pics of the Sorento without my ex wife in it.

What I was driving 15 years ago:

1992 Camaro RS 25th anniversary edition, 5.0 liter 305 with TBI.

Vortec 350 heads, Accel plugs, wires, and distributor, hypertech chip, Holley intake manifold, throttle body, Hooker headers, manual capped cut outs, flowmaster American thunder cat back exhaust, high flow cat, koni adjustable front shocks, kyb rear, 12" rear end, eibach springs. Much of it done in my apartment parking lot. Front fenders were replaced with thinner aftermarket ones. I stripped most of the trunk down to the metal for weight savings. Just under 3000lbs.

I was in college at Southern Illinois University, nearest Dyno 150 miles over the Kentucky border. There was a 1/8 mile strip about an hour away. I met a guy up there with a couple of cars, one an 81 Mercury Capri, 420whp, and we're always in a dead heat, so I'm guessing about 400whp in the Camaro. His car was more powerful, but I have insane reaction speed. Plus his was a four speed manual, mine a 4 speed auto.

I've had quite a few cars in 22 years of driving. Me age 16, with my first car, an 83 Citation. I once crammed 8 people into that car.

I paid a whopping $150 for that car. Though it was 1995.

yqJFMkN.jpg

What I learned to drive on, mostly at the beach. It was my grandfather's, kept it in Galveston. I was 14 when he taught me. Difficult car to drive, manual everything, 3 on the floor, 20lb clutch, 4cyl tractor engine.

He traded in his 1961 Vette for it when he started having kids. He would take it through the marshes in Galveston duck hunting. Truck had so much torque he was always towing pickups out that got stuck.

My uncle has it now, it survived hurricane Ike. So did he, my family is crazy.

We have three cars, the Pilot is my wife's grocery hauler, she loves it. The Corvette was her DD when wee lived in NJ, it followed us to UT and only sees about 300 mile/yr.
The Jeep is our weekend vehicle, it's a 2014 with 33K miles, the Vette is a 2003 with 33K miles, that tells you something!

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

1. 2017 BMW M5
2. 2014 Ford Focus
3. 1982 XE Ford Falcon ESP
4. 2016 BMW S1000RR

Unless you're in Oz, you may not be familiar with number 3, so here is a link (Google photo- I can't post my one) http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39102-xe-facts/

Great car (in a straight line LOL). Big 5.8litre V8 motor (351 cubes), 4 speed manual European Sports Pack interior. Nice weekend cruiser to throw the kids in and go for a cruise. Wife isn't a fan due to the V8 roar coming from the 3 inch exhaust

2003 Focus wagon...scored it 3 years back for $1700 with 140k on it, put another 40k on it since. I've always said I drive a beater so I can have nice toys ;)

~Chip

1. 2017 BMW M5
2. 2014 Ford Focus
4. 2016 BMW S1000RR

Unless you're in Oz, you may not be familiar with number 3, so here is a link (Google photo- I can't post my one) http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39102-xe-facts/

Great car (in a straight line LOL). Big 5.8litre V8 motor (351 cubes), 4 speed manual European Sports Pack interior. Nice weekend cruiser to throw the kids in and go for a cruise. Wife isn't a fan due to the V8 roar coming from the 3 inch exhaust

I know the stock 5.8l V8 put out 199hp. Any mods?

1. 2017 BMW M5
2. 2014 Ford Focus
4. 2016 BMW S1000RR

Need to update that 5.8l from the mid eighties. Not exactly the most efficient for making big power numbers. Maybe a 5.0 L coyote swap! Lol!

Cool car though. Is that built on the fox chassis?

I know the stock 5.8l V8 put out 199hp. Any mods?

Hey K.O.D.

You're right- bit skinny in the power department- but it's got close to 500Nm torque, so it goes ok. Apart from a mild cam and a freshen up with new seals etc- she's pretty stock. I have some mates that have done some extreme engine swaps/mods and they now put out out close to 700-800 rwhp!!!!

Due to the low production numbers of the ESP (only 178 made in this combination- which was an option to the standard model Falcon) these things are starting be "collectibles" in Oz. Mine is probably a touch rarer than most as it has a 4 bolt main and is a "pillow" block (NASCAR block)

:rolleyes:
Need to update that 5.8l from the mid eighties. Not exactly the most efficient for making big power numbers. Maybe a 5.0 L coyote swap! Lol!

Cool car though. Is that built on the fox chassis?

Hey SVTFreak

LOL- that would be great!!! My dream would be to have a "restomod" 67 Mustang Fastback and 69 Dodge Charger both pumping out around 500-600 rwhp. Unfortunately budget and wife won't allow it.....maybe I can win the lotto one day:rolleyes:

I'm not totally sure on the chassis- this thing is the size of a Crown Victoria equivalent. It was designed and built in Australia so quite possibly the chassis is unique to Oz- but I'm just guessing. I think the fox chassis is under the Mustangs etc? This model is a bit larger- a proper 5 seater family car

:rolleyes:

Hey SVTFreak

LOL- that would be great!!! My dream would be to have a "restomod" 67 Mustang Fastback and 69 Dodge Charger both pumping out around 500-600 rwhp. Unfortunately budget and wife won't allow it.....maybe I can win the lotto one day:rolleyes:

I'm not totally sure on the chassis- this thing is the size of a Crown Victoria equivalent. It was designed and built in Australia so quite possibly the chassis is unique to Oz- but I'm just guessing. I think the fox chassis is under the Mustangs etc? This model is a bit larger- a proper 5 seater family car

Wow! Doesn't look crown Vic size in pics. That's big! Probably right on oz specialty. You guys get all the cool cars! Fox was the 79-93 mustang chassis and modified for 94-2004. Different name for those but was bigger and still basically the same. They did do some larger cars, like the fairmont, which was about the size that one looks in the photograph, on the fox chassis.

currently driving a bagged g35
g35_1.png

although after summer i'll be looking at something more practical most likely VW and might transplant some of the bag stuff

Wow! Doesn't look crown Vic size in pics. That's big! Probably right on oz specialty. You guys get all the cool cars! Fox was the 79-93 mustang chassis and modified for 94-2004. Different name for those but was bigger and still basically the same. They did do some larger cars, like the fairmont, which was about the size that one looks in the photograph, on the fox chassis.

Ok- you might be right about the fox chassis then. There was a Fairmont variant in the X series Falcons- basically exactly the same car/body but with upgraded equipment levels ie. Electric Windows, better stereo, mag wheels etc

LOL- don't know about us getting the cool cars in Oz. Best time in motoring history has to be the 60's- 70's muscle car wars in the States between the car companies. Same thing was going on here, and some really nice models were produced from both camps (Ford and Holden/GM), but there's just something about American muscle that gets me. I'm a Ford man thru and thru- but I would gladly have something 60's-70's from Dodge, Chevrolet, Pontiac etc- such a great era and awesome cars

I agree Boris. I'm ford man but like all classic muscle. I'd sell my son for a nice buildable 66-67 chevy nova that isn't overpriced for an oil stain to start with.

And the current horsepower wars are giving us all better performance for he dollar!

Back