What forge do YOU have?

Mine is very much like the one Karl B. Andersen Karl B. Andersen has. Mine does not get hugged that often.
It's because I love it so much. It does everything I could ever ask a forge to do.
And does it in spades.
In fact - I don't understand the "other" forges.
I learned about the "Fogg Forge" from, well, Don Fogg, at Ashokan maybe 12 years ago? I built one as soon as I got home and have built three more since.
I've never looked at another forge.

I've always been a fan of properly insulated vertical forges.
I saw on another thread about a flux conversation where guys were complaining about how flux is a problem eating their forges and causing all sort of problems.
With a vertical forge - those problems disappear.
(These pictures are over five years old, but you get the idea)
x43GyNN.jpg

VtpAPJx.jpg
you are an excellent forge model.

LMAO! I think we need to get a forge model calendar going! Lol.
We could raise money for charity. Karl seductively hugging his forge, Stacy in a kilt that leaves little to the imagination. Surely there is a market composed of ladies who love bearded men with way too many tools. "I enjoy long walks on the beach, the ring of a hammer on an anvil, and talking for hours about retained austinite."

We could raise money for charity. Karl seductively hugging his forge, Stacy in a kilt that leaves little to the imagination. Surely there is a market composed of ladies who love bearded men with way too many tools. "I enjoy long walks on the beach, the ring of a hammer on an anvil, and talking for hours about retained austinite."

Hahaha! That's the hardest I've laughed in a while! That's got to be post of the year or something!

I have a Chili Forge single burner body I bought used off ebay years and years ago. It didn't come with a burner when I bought it so I'm using a JF#1 burner from Thermal Art Design in Portland. I run it at fairly high pressure and when it's cranked up I'll get to welding temps in under three minutes.

My Fogg style forges are built with a piece of round pipe - 12" minimum, 16" max - about 16" long. You also need a 3" slice of the same pipe for the top, and a round plate 1/2" wider than the pipe.

Here is how I make them with 16" OD pipe:
Cut the front/rear forging ports, drill the burner port and weld the burner sleeve over it, and weld on the outer shelves.
Line it with 2" of wool.
Coat that with 3/4" of refractory ( simplest to build up in 1/4" layers every hour). Because the pipe is open on both ends, it is easy to put in the refractory.Set it aside.
The top is the 3" piece of the same pipe as the shell, with a steel disc welded to one end. Simplest way is to use a disc 1/2" wider than the ring and weld all the way around from the outside. Holes are drilled every 2-3 inches all around it 1/2" in from the open edge. Three short "clips" (0,120,240) are welded on to align the top with the shell when placed on it. If you are going to use a TC, put a piece of 1/2" stainless pipe through the center of the top so it will stick out about 1/2" past the refractory.
Put sheet metal screws in the holes around the rim to make spikes that stick inside about an inch to an inch and a half. These will hold the refractory in place. Place 2" of wool in the lid, then pour in the castable refractory until level with the edge. Let cure for a week.
Make up an 18" round mold for the base from a length of thin 3" high banding ( or a slice of 18" pipe), set it on a piece of plywood, and cast a round slab for the bottom in Cast-o-lite or Mizzou. Make the top smooth and level. Leave the band on the slab. Let it cure for a week or so.
The shell sits on the base, and 2" inches of kitty litter are poured in.
Set the top on the forge body.
Put in the burner and fire on as low as it will run for 15 minutes, raise the flame to medium for 15 minutes, raise to high for 15 minutes. Let cool overnight. Check for cracks and patch as needed.
Coat all exposed refractory with ITC-100 and refire for 15 minutes.

This makes a very robust forge that will do damascus and any general forging needed. Repairs are easy, and it can be disassembled if needed. The refractory lining will take a little longer to heat up, but will hold the heat very evenly once soaked for 15 minutes. The outside will be far cooler than you would imagine. THe kitty litter will catch flux drips, and can easily be replaced.

You can use the same technique to build a tiny 8"X10"table-top vertical forge, or one made from a 55 gallon drum. I honestly don't know why more small vertical forges aren't built by beginners, as they are easier to make .... probably because we old guys keep telling them how to build the standard type forges :)

Hmmm, I always thought Diamondback was bad because they claim that square forges work better than round for knifemaking. Didn't know he was racist as well as ignorant.

I most often use my 1st gen. Atlas mini that DDaveLarsen has. I respect the bigger forges, but just can't beat the Scrooge-like way the Atlas mini uses propane and have yet to work on a bigger knife than my mini can hold.

Stacey, any reason not to make the entire thing from castable other than the improved insulation of the wool?

I'm thinking of taking my monster horizontal half finished ribbon burner forge and turning it upend, scrapping the ribbon burner and just do a straight blown burner. I keep procrastinating the ribbon burner because I'm afraid it won't work or will just eat too much fuel or something. But right now it wouldn't take much to shift gears and pour a bottom, plug the ribbon hole and cut new holes in the sides Fogg style.

The bonus would be it's already set up with sliding fire brick on either end, so the top could be opened up if I wanted to use it that way for something. I was anticipating heat treating in this thing, which is why it's built the way it is, but now that I'm building a Fogg style barrel furnace just for heat treating there's no point to that.

Back