What I'm working on

Hunter,

It looks to me that the hump on the kukri handle could hinder the chopping.
Have you come across sore inner palm after chopping with the prototype?

Jay,

I haven't made the protoype yet but it's actually the exact same handle as I use on my parang model. I've tested the parang quite a bit and for me the handle has been very comfortable. It can be used either with a locked in grip or with a looser grip and it resists twisting well.

I realized today that the new bowie design could fit within an existing Liberator Bolo blank. So I decided to give it a try. The bevels took me 3 hours to grind :eek:

Still need to fully grind in the swedges, fix the plunges and do the finishing grits but this is a wicked blade. Half tempted to give this some top grade Koa or mango scales but maybe thats not the best idea for a prototype.

FullSizeRender2014_zpsxpfx4qzc.jpg

FullSizeRender%2013_zpshb8k4ecf.jpg

Last edited:
That's spectacular. I'd love to hear how it performs compared to the Liberator bolo ...Particularly given the full height grind.

Sounds like grinding 3V will be even worse.

Thanks guys!

This blank is only 3/16th stock so its a little lighter than the production version will be but its super snappy and quick. At this thickness the Liberator Bolo would certainly outchop it but thicker 1/4th stock will bridge the gap in weight and chopping ability.

Not looking forward to grinding these from even thicker 3V :eek: Ill just have to use alot more belts. This one has completely eaten ~$45 worth of belts so far and Ill have to sacrifice another new trizact belt to finish it. You know what they say, use em like they're free.

Hi,

Is it possible to see your parang and have the specs, please?

I'm actually finishing a batch of 4 of these over the weekend if you are interested in one.

Here's the specs,

3/16th thick 52100 steel, 58 edge, spring tempered spine
14.5in blade
21.5 in overall

I can get you some better pictures when I am in the shop this weekend.

Here's one with satin bevels
IMG_20150806_164450_zpskfnn3n09.jpg

And one with an acid stonewash
20150520_235500_zpsd7suprxe.jpg

Thanks for your quick reply, actually i'm looking for a more traditional shape especially the handle. The length, steel and thickness are perfect, but the complete edge and the finger choil instead of a square area front of the handle are not really handy for my needs, but I'll keep a look at your thread with pleasure.

Thanks for your quick reply, actually i'm looking for a more traditional shape especially the handle. The length, steel and thickness are perfect, but the complete edge and the finger choil instead of a square area front of the handle are not really handy for my needs, but I'll keep a look at your thread with pleasure.

No problem I hope you are able to find what you are looking for. There are several really talented makers here that do parangs. Ben Tendick and Fiddleback Forge both have parang designs out that may fit the bill :thumbup:

Prototype CNC handle for the Fell Beasts and Liberator Bolo arrived a couple days ago. Very, very sexy:)

These have a nice scalloped texture for extra grip.

FullSizeRender%2015_zpsfl7mgkky.jpg

This looks great. Are you going to fit a set to the test bowie you did? I'd love to see a 'finished' product.

This looks great. Are you going to fit a set to the test bowie you did? I'd love to see a 'finished' product.

The test bowie was made from an old run so the CNC scales won't fit it due to some differences in the CAD file. But I am finishing the test bowie on monday and will get some pictures up! The new run of bowies will be compatible with the CNC scales.

I haven't had the new run of Fell Beasts, bolos and bowies cut yet so it will be another few weeks before I get a finished blade with CNC scales in the shop.

I'm following your work on super-steel machetes. I'm a big fan of light weight, and I would love to see some very thin blades get made and tested. The Mora 333 is my favorite blade at 13 inches and 6.8 to 7 ounces, but I can't buy them anymore, and I can't risk the one I have by cutting oil drums with it. Can you feel my pain? I'm in need!

I'm following your work on super-steel machetes. I'm a big fan of light weight, and I would love to see some very thin blades get made and tested. The Mora 333 is my favorite blade at 13 inches and 6.8 to 7 ounces, but I can't buy them anymore, and I can't risk the one I have by cutting oil drums with it. Can you feel my pain? I'm in need!

Thanks for the post! I am cutting some smaller machetes for this run. I will have a 12 and 14 in model available.

Stock thickness on these is .110. I've had a few requests for thinner machetes and could have some cut from .070 AEBL or 15n20 stock. At that thickness they will not stand up to hard use and will only be able to handle brush clearing, limbing, and similar light work. However, if it's something you guys want to see I can make it happen.

I think the standards for comparison in thin, light machetes are:

* Mora 333 machete (insulation knife) in 12C27 Sandvik stainless, 13 inch length, 7 oz weight, 0.60 inch thick.
* Friedrich Dick 60390300 machete (insulation knife) in X55CrMo14 High Carbon Stainless, 12 inch length, 6.8 oz weight, 0.94 inch thick.
* Svord Kiwi Machete in 15N20 high carbon, 12 inch length, 9.8 oz weight, 0.125 inch thick.

If the weight can be brought down with clever blade shaping like in the Svord Kiwi Machete or the Friedrick Dick machete, then a stronger and thicker blade can be used. The Mora is probably too thin, and there's no clever shaping. I should also point out that all of these blades only cost between $17 and $60 new. Maybe there is some way to push the price down to maybe $70 to $100. Perhaps a blade with a user-wrapped paracord handle could reduce the amount of work you have to put in make them, so you basically just focus on making the blade with a good heat treat protocol, and the user can design their own custom handle for it.

Another thing I fantasize about is a replaceable blade system. What if the majority of the blade were just lightweight aluminum, magnesium or even plastic scaffolding, and the exotic steel is a separate part that slides in? You could make a dovetail rail system pretty easily on a manual milling machine if the blade is perfectly straight. Curves will take some thinking, but maybe the whole front part of the blade where the belly curve is could be removable too.

There might be a way to do that with the entire blade edge, including the curve, with thin stock, if you get clever with lamination and sheet metal working. This might be possible to do very cheaply, if we count the cost of the replacement edges separately. Or maybe this is a bit too demanding, and we should stick with the formula that we know works, with normal 1-piece blades., in the normal thickness you're already using. Maybe that's best, because if I want a cheap, abusable machete, I already have 3 of them :) In that case, carry on!

A 0.94 inch thick machete sounds awesome. That's almost an inch thick :D:D

Hunter, that new handle looks like palm swell is smaller. Is that the case?
And thanks for helping on my new bolo. I appreciate it. I took the bolo out tonight. Fifth time since buying it. Wonderful tool

Back