What is sharpening a knife about? (2015 updates!)

as for re-profiling an edge i think its tough to beat a guided rod system, i course diamond stone will get it to the correct angle in no time. i cant give any reason but i like the gatco system over the lansky like i said im not sure why exactly but my knives get sharper easier on the gatco over the lansky. I dont like guided systems for touch ups but for a full re-profile or chip repair i love them

I gotta say getting a 30x glass loupe was the best thing i ever bought for sharpening, and it was only like $5 online.

Aha! I'm on that right now!

I choose this!

as for re-profiling an edge i think its tough to beat a guided rod system

I have reprofiled a few edges, but I prefer the worksharp. I used to rely on the guide a fair bit, but now I am becoming comfortable enough to free hand it with the belt rotated so that I have a near horizontal surface to grind against. Reprofiling was never so fast, efficient and precise. I aim for about a 15° edge, which I guesstimate based on how wide the bevel becomes relative to the thickness of the stock behind the edge. I then micorbevel at 20° on the sharpmaker, then strop on leather with green compound. I can produce hair popping, paper S-cutting edges every time, now. Something I would have thought was magic just a few short years ago.

Last edited:
A lot of truth there! Although a highly polished edge that can pop hair and push-cut paper is amazing, I only do that to impress fellow friends on how sharp a knife can get from hand-sharpening. 8k above is not needed if you're not making straight razors.

For practical use in kitchen and for cutting fibrous materials like cardboard, a coarse edge cuts better than a polished edge, and more longer lasting.:thumbup:

Very helpful. Been trying to learn for a while, and yesterday took a few tips from this post. Ended up getting an edge that could slice paper, which is surprisingly well for me.

If you look for Mag's started threads, he has one on the recommended videos to watch, something like 'this is for beginners'. I lost my bookmarks when my browser crash or I'd post the link here.

Thanks you so much for posting this. The section on the burr has cleared up many many questions I had.

This has been incredibly helpful. I can't thank you enough! This forum rocks!

This article is indeed very helpful and informative! As a new sharpener I'm hoping for some advise. I've been messing around with paper wheels and am wondering is it necessary/beneficial to go from the white jewelers rouge to a finer compound? or to a leather strop? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Apologies in advance for the elementary questions

This article is indeed very helpful and informative! As a new sharpener I'm hoping for some advise. I've been messing around with paper wheels and am wondering is it necessary/beneficial to go from the white jewelers rouge to a finer compound? or to a leather strop? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Apologies in advance for the elementary questions

I also like my Arkansas stones. I managed to locate a stone cutting company that cut the stones in house. I came away from there heavily loaded with quality stones. My favorite is an extremely hard stone , almost like glass.If I really take my time and work up to it slowly (coarser stones first) I get a scary sharp edge. These are large 10-12 inch long by 2-3 inch wide stones. Wouldn't part with them for anything.

I like hunting. SO that i build a website to help people can buy the best recurve bow for hunting

Now instead of only buying 2 knives through the forum (... stop... the... addiction...), I can also say that I learned something worthwhile here.

Using an eye loupe was such a "DUH" moment for me. I've had one for other purposes, but never thought to inspect my blades. And now I'm staring through the loupe figuring out what's wrong with my sharpening. This thread alone was worth joining BladeForums.

Now instead of only buying 2 knives through the forum (... stop... the... addiction...), I can also say that I learned something worthwhile here.

Using an eye loupe was such a "DUH" moment for me. I've had one for other purposes, but never thought to inspect my blades. And now I'm staring through the loupe figuring out what's wrong with my sharpening. This thread alone was worth joining BladeForums.

It's an honor. Welcome! Glad you found the thread helpful.

I've been sayin' that for years, you need to also know what sharp looks like. Find a knife that has the degree of sharpness you espouse to then use the loupe to see what sharp looks like, if you know what you are tryin' to achieve , if you have a clear picture in your head you'll recognize it when you see it and this'll reinforce how you get there through identification.

I've been freehand sharpening for 30 years, I've been through all the systems, clamped, wedged, v sticks, EdgePro, wet stone, belt and wheel grinders and in the end you'll never beat freehand on stones. Great thread BTW and helpful to all the folks new to sharpenin' and maintainin' their edged tools :thumbup: .

Great post but what exactly is apexes, I still don't understand. I understand you have to establish the cut or scratch pattern each time but what is an apexes edge?

Thanks,

BO-DACIOUS

Great post but what exactly is apexes, I still don't understand. I understand you have to establish the cut or scratch pattern each time but what is an apexes edge?
Thanks,
BO-DACIOUS
Hi,
apexed/apexing,
it means getting both sides of the edge to meet in the middle and make a point (the apex)
We call the tip of the knife edge the apex to distinguish it from the tip end of the knife (the point)

chuvTCr.png

Back