What is the best way to remove renaissance wax

I need help. What is the best way to remove renaissance wax from a blade that has been etched with gold?

Attachments

• STING-2.jpg
    STING-2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 116
I'd try dipping the blade in hot water and repeatedly buffing with a clean cloth.

Zippo lighter fluid.
BTW, that's a beautiful Russell Sting...probably worth several hundred $$.

Thanks guys for the information. I am not sure how to remove the wax with out doing damage to the eitched gold.

Thanks guys for the information. I am not sure how to remove the wax with out doing damage to the eitched gold.

ren wax isnt that heavy/thick of a wax, just keep buffing/wiping it.
I would be careful with anything caustic unless you are sure it wont screw up the gold. You can use q-tips or folded paper (tri-angle) to lightly scrape it out or maybe toothpicks. Why do ya wanna remove the renwax?
i used to use renwax on my blades not so much any more just mineral oil on the carbon steel and i'm good to go:)
let use know what happens
ivan

Ivankerley: The reason I want to remove the wax is I am thanking about checking into having it restored, and the preivorus owner had a heavy coat of wax on it.

The knives were etched and then the gold was painted into the etched areas. If it comes out you can buy gold paint at hobby lobby and a fine pointed brush and replace it.

Ivankerley: The reason I want to remove the wax is I am thanking about checking into having it restored, and the preivorus owner had a heavy coat of wax on it.

understandable, like i said i really dont use it much anymore, really none of mine are safequeen material:) That being said any restoration would be complicated because of the etch, i certainly wouldnt want to try it:eek:
from the picture it doesnt look to bad though, cool looking blade:thumbup:
best of luck to ya
ivan

The knives were etched and then the gold was painted into the etched areas. If it comes out you can buy gold paint at hobby lobby and a fine pointed brush and replace it.

Thanks, AG...but OOPS! DON'T use any petro-solvents (like the lighter fluid I recommended earlier), they may harm the gold, since it's paint, not plating, etc.
Sooo, avoid lighter fluid, WD-40, acetone, turpentine, paint thinner,mineral oil, or oils in general.

THAT IS,UNLESS, you don't care about removing the orig. gold, and want to try AG's restore-suggestion.

Back