What is the steel in the OCK Navy Mark 3 Knife?

What is the steel in the OKC Navy Mark 3 Knife?

Most sites and other sources say 440A.

But the Official Ontario Site says its 420.

So I'm just wondering what one it is?

I use my OKC Mk.3 for the wet places I go. For example. Tied to under the canoe gunnel sure has been a good idea. Wasn't mine but it sure does come in handy when needed.

440A was used for all the govt ordered mkiii knives and civilian models for as long as I can remember. Changes can happen though, and they may be 420 now

It still says 420 at the time of this post. :D *Ducks and covers!* ~QUACK~

Probably needs to cycle to its update I guess.

Still trying to figure out what the "Saw" is used for. Does come in handy notching things though.

I was caught by this as well. It's still listed as 420 on the site by the way.
I was researching a few blades yesterday and I was quite confused why every online source agreed about the mk3's steel EXCEPT for OCK's website. Thought I was going crazy. Glad its still 440A :):thumbsup:

Oh now what is this nonsense? You're right, I made the change again, and it reverted right back. Time to look into that one a little further. Sorry guys.

Well at least we got the correct info now and can be corrected for others who are looking at it now. :D

At the time this knife was adapted, the U.S. specification for the stainless steel was 420 or equivalent. The same was true for the M9 bayonet. Let the bashing commence.

Going by this catalog (presumably vintage 1996)
http://www.queencutlery.com/uploads/Queen_Catalog_1996.pdf
It was rather Unfortunate, that the ambiguous term
"Stainless steel" was the term used
to aptly describe the blade material for the model 497 navy knife.
The spec plus Kraton handle SP-4 navy knife
On the other hand, Had specified 440A.
The stainless steel types
In use by the various ontario knives models were
Listed as Either 440A or 316.
My gut feeling would put the mk3 mod 0 as 440A.

Back