What Is Your Favorite Syderco and Why?

Riz!

Platinum Member
There may be a thread like this somewhere. I went back a ways and couldnt find one or I may have just missed it.

It would be cool to hear what is your absolute favorite Spyderco and explain why. Pics are always welcome...

I will go first...

The Military (204P and Dark Green G10 to be axact). Here is why. I love the standard and Ti Military but after getting the 204p/Dark green exclusive and experiencing the smoothness of the action with the new pivot and the new stepped stop pin I can say that not only is the Millie my favorite, but I even have a favorite Millie. Not to mention the 204P has proven to handle every cut I throw at it an its never neded but a few passes on the fine spyderco stone and then a little stropping it stays as sharp as the day I pulled it from the box.

The new catalog shows that all Millies from 2017 on have the new pivot and pin, standoffs and lanyard hole as well as bigger hardwear. Holy crap they are bringing back the lefty!!!!!!!! Stoked, I am!!

I keep a Military in my work pants, one at home for EDC and a bunch in my knife drawer because I frequently rotate between the Ti version and the other variants.

The thing that impresses me about that knife is the fact that its a ton of knife in a relatively light weight package. It also carries smaller than it actually is. Even more than that is the fact that even with the CQI upgrading of the blade steel, the pin, the pivot, the backspacers hardware and the lanyard hole, the actual profile of the knife is exactly the same as it was designed in 1996 when it was released. Not many design profiles can say they went 20 years with no need to tweak the shape or size! There is literally no reason change it. Its simple perfection. Even the dreaded tip down, R/H carry clip is actually perfection when you look at what the Military was designed for. I usually hate tip down carry, but on this knife it just plane old works. I even carry the knife in my left pocket and it still works. I just rotate my left palm backwards and out, put my left index finger in my pocket and thumb on the clip and draw. No matter which pocket I carry in, the knife always comes out exactly positioned for deployment.

I frequently wear gloves at work and the knife is a dream to operate with gloves. The other night I needed to quickly remove half a dozen chem-lights from their heavy duty wrappers. I was gloved and fully kitted out. Without even thinking about it, I drew the knife, opened it, cut packaging, closed and repocketed it, stuffed the lights in my cargo pocket, shut my trunk and ran. This was all done one handed and with gloves on. While riding to my destination a couple of my compadres were fiddling around in the dark trying to open those damn things with their fingers. I watched one dude remove a glove, then use his dull 25 dollar harware store special to practically pry open the wrappers then struggle to repocket his knife. Now I have used a military every day for a singnificant amount of EDC cutting but that was the first time I NEEDED TO EXPEDITIOUSLY use the knife in the duties of my work. It was then that I suddenly had a specific real world use example that proved what I already new... The Spydero Military is so exquisetly designed for its intended purpose. Its also a killer EDC if you like a bigger blade.

Not only is the Military my favorite Spyderco, it is by far my favorite folder.

The knife is literally like an extension of my will

For me it's the Manix 2. Right size. Undeniably a Spyderco at first glance. A monkey could close it effortlessly. Lots of variants for me to collect.

It's still my old Endura, but that will change soon enough.

It wins out over the Economy from 1991-2, just because I like the larger handle and blade.

I've had the Endura since 1999 or 2000; I never, ever look at it when I deploy it or put it back in my pocket - those actions are automatic, my CNS is well-patterned for that blade. My other knives? I've had everything excepting the Econo and Endura since at most November of '16. I am, just now getting intimate with them. The Battlestation is nearly as smooth to deploy and put away; not quite, though - every once in a while, there's a stutter and I have to slow down, and try a second time. This happens especially on putting it away when I clip it to my pants.

Today I used my Nirvana for a while, and for the first time I deployed and put it away one-handed, without even looking at it. So I'm learning.

The Tasman & Szabo still demand some conscious attention. I'm not sure of finger position when I close those blades. The K2 and Volpe are too new to even think about ease of use.

I would agree with the OP about a blade becoming an extension of the will. When that happens, it's great.

For me it's the GB1 no contest. Cutting machine, great f&f, and I prefer the non exposed liner lock. Complete workhorse and looks good doing it.
IMG_4594_zpsh70qhftt.jpg
Can't seem to get it out my pocket lately
qlzcZeW.jpg

Last edited:
Really can we only name one? The caly 3.5 in deserves recognition. It disappears in pocket, a thin slicer, great steel, great blade/handle ratio. Makes a great EDC. Did I say it was difficult to only talk about one model?

i always come back to the goddard. thin, lightweight, large, great blade shape. just works.

I think mine would be the Pacific Salt, after modifying the tip taking the hump down a bit to have a nice sharp point like the PM2 it's such a great maintenance free knife. I can cut with wet hands, food, muddy water in the garden, take it fishing, whatever - and no rust. Takes 6 seconds to get shaving sharp on the sharpmaker. If they came out with a stronger G10 version with a new handle design, i would buy triples of it.

As much as I'd like to be creative and say something like the Dodo or Lava, it's the PM2. Great knife. Great fidget toy. Great company.

It'll stand top of the heap until my campaigning for an FRN Lum Tanto in CPM-154 pays off. That combo, FRN and CPM-154, would also make for a great PM2 me thinks.

Tough call but I have to say the Spydie Pikal is my all time favourite. It is just the best small SD folder I have ever experienced hands down. It is made in Golden to great standards and the ball bearing lock is just outstanding. The fit and finish is great too. Wish it didn't come in S30v though. That is just unfortunate for me and the only thing negative about the folder for me.

If you mean which is my favorite model it's the Para2. If you mean an exact knife, umm, I dunno, but it's one of my Para2's.
I have one each of 10 different Spyderco models.
I have 2 Millie's.
I have 9 Para2's, each with a different steel.
I have put custom scales on 4 of my Spydercos, 3 of those are Para2's.

The Para2 is a real Goldilocks folder, not too this, not too that, just right in so many ways for me and my uses.
The Ergos are just awesome, it feels so secure in hand, the lock is so intuitive and fun to play with, and it cuts really well.

DSC00296_zpshti059fc.jpg

DSC00080_zpswpwlnnyk.jpg

DSC00078_zpsbvnnx1js.jpg

DSC00083_zpspjvwvx8m.jpg

DSC00391_zpsx3djampn.jpg

Honorable mentions coming very close - Manix 2 XL and Slysz Bowie.

I agree on the Military. Best large folder I've used and if it wasn't too large to be socially acceptable I'd carry it almost exclusively. It's light, cuts great, fits my hands well, I can easily open and close it wearing gloves etc... Hard to decide which one I like the best, but maybe the first run in carbon fiber. The new CTS 204P is great as well.

Military
There is literally no reason change it. Its simple perfection.

Yah I don't have one but I want more than one of them. Just when I said I am happy and I won't buy a knife for all of 2017 you got to remind me of THIS !
Thanks
Thanks a lot.

My fav ? Danged hard to say. When up against brilliance like the Dragonfly in ZDP-189 and Endura 4 in same.
Right now I would have to say . . .
Probably my latest = Gayle Bradley One
Why ? Besides the super solid build it is the way it cuts at two of my tests for knives. These sound a bit tame or silly but they tell me sooooooooo much about what I am carrying in my pocket :
1. Trimming finger nails. Laugh but when the edge cuts curls off with easy control rather than little tiny chips while I struggle for control THEN I know I have a precise cutter in my hand.
and
2. Trimming the edge of hard rubber, one of my daily tasks at work. The GB One gets in there, gets aholt and says "I can do this all day long and just exactly the way your intent wishes ". Compared to the Manix which was nearly impossible to use for this and then it would go dull in the middle of a cut. NIGHT and DAY brother !

Pics ? OK better too many than too few.

No the blade doesn't look like that just a photo fart

Cuts like a hot knife through butter.

I'm partial to the Caly 3.5 in VG-10 for EDC, because it's slim, has a great blade to handle length ratio and is easy to pocket. The blade performs very well, too.

I like the Endura quite a bit as well.

Last edited:
Great thread.
I own several favorite Spyderco folders but the one that makes the most sense for EDC, imo, is the Delica.
rolf

Slysz Bowie!!! It's a crazy cutter and the perfect size. It is built incredibly well. Seriously incredible. It's my most well built knife, it's flawless. I've taken it down many times and every time it goes back together perfectly. Absolutely rock solid when locked, and I crank on my knives to test for play. All the while free swinging smooth if I press the lockbar back. Great ergos and a very simple and classic design that just works.

egea6g.jpg

Last edited:
Pacific Salt for me.
Very thin and light with no liners, maintenance free and rustproof, gotta love H1's serrations with long edge holding, toughness and no chipping under abuse.

20170111_125526_zpsdeum4soe.jpg

Easy to open and close, unobtrusive and very friendly for all types of carry and use. Easy to touch up, a breeze to sharpen and reprofile, very nice ergos and stout lock.
A no worries, under $100 dependable workhorse! The folder I own more backups of, just got another one this week

20170110_200637_zpsj4q3awqz.jpg

for carry/use - Military... far and away...

for looks... the Mamba... just looks so amazing...

The best: Native5.
Fantastic ergos. It fits into my hand like a glove.
Really good blade. Great geometry, optimal length (a lot of capabilities, legal in most of reasonable places, so good for travel and will not raise brows in office environment).
Midlock, strong, reliable and easy to operate one handed.
Produced in many flavors.
Currently my favorites and most carried are Ti Fluted and 2013 forum Natives.
Last, but not the least: Made in Golden, Colorado, USA.

Runners up: Caly3 & 3.5.

Back