What kind of foam would you put in a kydex press?

Like the title says, I need some better foam. I threw together a press that "works", but I want to improve it and I figure the foam is the most important part.

I used an industrial type pipe insulation called "Armaflex" . It is perfect as long as you get some for a larger diameter pipe like 6". I 8' length will be plenty.

Yeah they are selling a few new ones at different prices as well as the original old one. Mine is still outside in a box, I'll post an update once I have used it.

I know this is an old thread and sorry for hijacking but looking at same project materials. Leads me to a question. I see in one of the early links here, dummy prop guns for molding kydex holsters. Is there really a danger using the real thing? I'm doing knives but thinking of a trick holster for my 1911. How hot do you need to get the kydex to form? Will it hurt finish on an old ww2 pistol or a new home made micarta knife handle??

Thanks
Scott

blue guns cost between $30 to $50 while real guns cost...well you know.
For the 1911, i assume it`s all steel and not some variant one with polymer frame... the all steel one press away no problem ...the polymer frames you have to be careful for frame warpage(?) due to heat transfer ... most guys who use the real thing they insert the magazine in the well ...not loaded LOL

Neoprene anti fatigue foam mats sold at harbor freight, they work great and have a burn point of 500f so you won't have a melting or burning problem. And there cheap, about 10 bucks. Even less woth a 20% discount coupon.

Back