What kind of folder do you carry?

Not a bad place to start. I went through a brief XM phase, as well as a SnG phase.

SnG ? I imagine I will live and learn in this. The ZT actually feels like a better action to me. Smoother and less effort to flip. As I learn, it will be fascinating to handle others and compare the action.

Hey Justin, I know you like folders, what is a good starting point for Shirogorov's, model numbers would be helpful. I too enjoy the sound of a Sebenza as it opens or a Strider with the bigger handle, I have not tried one yet so you suggestions will be most helpful. Thanks Martin

Last edited:
SnG ? I imagined I will live and learn in this. The ZT actually feels like a better action to me. Smoother and less effort to flip. As I learn, it will be r eto handle others and compare the action.

Strider SnG. For a while, CRK, Hinderer and Strider were the big 3 in high end tactical/EDC production folders.

I was into Hinderer several years ago. So my info may be dated. They were like boat anchors for ones pocket with poor flipping action and high prices, and machining poorly matched to CRK.

Strider was also inferior in my opinion based on poor lock release, lock stick, poor action and blade centering issues.

Hey Justin, I know you like folders, what is a good starting point for Shirogorov's, model numbers would be helpful. I too enjoy the sound of a Sebenza as it opens or a Strider with the bigger handle, I have not tried one yet so you suggestions will be most helpful. Thanks Martin

Hi Martin,

I'm happy I help you any way I can.

What size of folding knife do you like, and do you plan to carry or just admire it?

Hey Justin, my tastes have changed as I have gotten older, my sweet spot is 3.25-3.5 ". Plain edge, possibly a little recurve. Is there anything in that range offered by Shirogorov? Thanks, I don't want anything fancy, just a EDC.

Hey Justin, my tastes have changed as I have gotten older, my sweet spot is 3.25-3.5 ". Plain edge, possibly a little recurve. Is there anything in that range offered by Shirogorov? Thanks, I don't want anything fancy, just a EDC.

I also am wondering this same thing.

I am disappointed with the Hinderer action. It is not slick and smooth like I thought a knife of that price would be. Maybe it will improve with use.

Ok, what you want is a NeOn Lite, or Ultra lite. I have a couple Custom Division Shiros I paid 4 times more for that have not been able to kick the NeOn Lite out of my pocket.

The Ultra Lite has a few less grams in it, but is basically barely strong enough to function, being an exercise in as light as possible. It has a lot of flex in use.

The Lite has a backspacer, is balanced perfect and plenty strong. My example took about 3000 cycles to fully break in. It has perfect glass smooth action, falling closed under its own weight with no shaking at all. The action is unbelievable at this price range, using a multi-row bearing system.

Every single person I've ever showed it to has commented on how smooth the action is.

The knife itself is mechanically and cosmetically flawless. In use I've dented, scratched and dinged it, but out of the box it's head and shoulders above any other maker in the production market.

I'm not kidding when I say that Shirogorov is to CRK what CRK is to Kershaw.

They are pricey, but I honestly believe they are an excellent value. You can pick one up at the only authorized dealer in the US. IMO...Don't get one used.

They barely sell below new price used, you will have no warranty, and should you need service, you will be sending it to Russia without insurance.

If you buy from the US dealer, you get a certificate of authenticity. They handle any problem you have.

Speak to Tamar there and tell her I sent you. She will pick you the best from the batch.

And post pics!

I am disappointed with the Hinderer action. It is not slick and smooth like I thought a knife of that price would be. Maybe it will improve with use.

Likely requires a tune. You're a handy guy and could do it yourself. Basically your going to disassemble, clean, finish internals by hand making any necessary modification, clean it again, lube and reassemble it. Then probably a couple dozen more times to get it just right.

I've never been impressed with one out of the box, and never had one without a couple flaws in the machining.

Absolutely. I am. Just bought a 0550 CF from a guy in Iowa. I can't wait to see how that iconic ZT fits me. Mike showed me a whole row of his.

Brian,

You're freaking me out a bit .. what's this 0550 CF?

20170809_232836.jpg
I thought I had the whole shebang..

Sadly..there are many more of these.. these are just the LNIB or NIB ones I keep in the case for the sake of having the whole run of 0550 on display.

I concur with what Mr. Fournier had stated in post # 193 above, i.e, if you'd like to buy a Shiro to see as to what all the proverbial "fuss" is about, your best initial bet would be the NeOn Lite, although I would recommend spending the extra $100 (give or take) for a more premium blade than the S30V.

I watch Shiros all the time on the Exchange on here and I see that the NeON models move very fast as soon as they show up but many others struggle and do not sell. Granted that these Exchanges on here may not be the best venue to resell a Shiro if they do not meet your initial excitement or expectations, but one must always consider the bottom line potential loss when navigating through unchartered territories, so to speak. The other Shiro model which I see selling relatively well on here are the older Hati models on washers, but then again that is because the used market on here is price sensitive in that 550-700ish range. The 900+ ones do not move unless they are a screaming deal, i.e, one which was originally priced much higher at retail level but the hapless buyer decides to take a bath on it. At least with a basic no frills CRK, you loss would be limited to about $100 or thereabouts if you don't like it right out of the retail box.

To expound on another factor JF had mentioned:

If you're willing to buy a higher end folder, IMHO and very personal experience, it pays off to buy new from a reputable dealer as opposed to fishing the Exchange for a used one unless you really know the seller and trust his ad / verbiage plus can send it back without the fear of negative feedback retribution if not as-described. I have not had the best experiences personally with used CRKs and then went new via the dealers. Surely it is nice to be frugal in order to save a Benjamin here and there when it comes to more pricy knives that have already absorbed the initial sticker shock, but if you get a dud then the whole fun would turn sour.

This Recon1 which Justin mentioned is a great way to go but alas for me, that dreaded 9% CA sales tax applies (there are ways around it, but screw that) plus the fact that I would put my Ti/CF Military in S90V any day against Justin's venerable Shiros whereby my vaunted Millie will break a couple of them at least in half, before it goes down in full honor. Golden CO, 'Murica baby :D

Back