What kind of folder do you carry?

Never have been much of a Folder Guy, but recently my brother in-law let me use his Todd Begg Steelcraft Field Marshall for a week and I really liked it! Can anyone who owns one give me there long term impressions of this knife? Thanks:thumbsup:

20170725_155412_resized.jpg 20170725_155424_resized.jpg
View attachment 731325
I went through a whole 0550 thing..

Thanks to Mr Mike , I am the proud owner of a ZT! 0562 i believe. Thanks Mike. This is very nice, and I am impressed. I will be getting another one sometime.

I was looking at Hinderer. I see this has his name on the blade. I like the spanto and drop point style. I sat in his Blade U class 3 years ago, and never tried one of his blades yet.

How are the ZT different from Hinderer?

View attachment 739926 View attachment 739927

Thanks to Mr Mike , I am the proud owner of a ZT! 0562 i believe. Thanks Mike. This is very nice, and I am impressed. I will be getting another one sometime.

I was looking at Hinderer. I see this has his name on the blade. I like the spanto and drop point style. I sat in his Blade U class 3 years ago, and never tried one of his blades yet.

If you Google "one" versus the "other"...you'll find lots of good links. I haven't read them all, but if you see this one, it sums it up pretty well..
Zero Tolerance ‘Copy’ Surpasses Original
Having owned many ZT's: many models as well as multiple copies of several, I would say that they are great folders, that offer decent selections of various super-steels to make a man proud. OTOH, I hesitate to carry the ones that go much over 5 ounces...about my comfort limit...given the Sebbie and Zaan at 4.8 oz and 5.0 oz.
I had two XM-18's...one 3.5" spanto and one 3" slicer. I sold each of them again within about two weeks. The larger model has the heavier spanto blade, which just loves to come open in your pocket, as the detent is insufficient to keep it closed. It is not a nice feeling to reach into your front pants pocket and grab a bare blade. The 3" slicer is just a 3" folder that's twice as heavy as it should be...waste of money. I owned these several yrs ago when the going price for a slightly-used XM was in the mid-$700 range, and I had two of them...or to put it in our equivalent...about six or seven CPK EDC's. Live and learn.

Last edited:
View attachment 739926 View attachment 739927

Price, availability, prestige? Never able to afford a Hinderer; side by side they compare favorably (in the hand) but I've never obviously put a hinderer through hard use, as I've done with multiple ZT's. I've never heard of anyone putting such an expensive blade that sells within hours (for double price paid)through hard use. I'm sure I will be proved wrong, just shaking the tree

this lil guy's been serving me really well over the past few months. Under 100 bucks from the BF exchange, money well spent!

this lil guy's been serving me really well over the past few months. Under 100 bucks from the BF exchange, money well spent!

You are absolutely right! Sometimes we do get carried away with our fanciful folders and admittedly I have been a big culprit of this very practice lately. It's a mind trip, I'm telling Ya!

Resized_0313161832.jpg
I'll always have a soft spot for traditional folders. This one is only a year or two old, but it reminds me of a time when my pocket was only big enough for something like this. My dad used to talk about stag and jigged bone handles like they were only for royalty. A knife like this would have caused him to $hit his pants. Every time I carry it I think of the first time he showed me his beloved Queen in red jigged bone.. "Come'ere boy.. you see this? Jigged bone." ..*Shows me the handle*.. "Sharp enough to cut your finger off.."

Man, I miss that guy..

I "always" have a folder, and usually one of these...
top: CRK large Regular Sebenza
next row down: large Sebenza Classics
next row down: my Umnumzaan, CRK/Wilson Large Combat Sebenza
several are presently residing at the spa..awaiting replacement birth-cards, etc.
p.s. IMO...nothing better under full custom...actually...nothing better.. :)
CRK collection.jpg

Last edited:
I would luv to try one of those LA designed, Bling-BlingHeimer folders to tell the truth.

Have spent enough $h*t on this stuff recently, so I'm good for now. Had to finally have the Star-Tac Zaan re-profiled by a Pro here locally so that it now cuts worth a darn thing! This bevel and edge was the worst factory edge I had received on a new knife out of the box, ever!

HZNfGlx.jpg

Last edited:
Back