What kind of folder do you carry?

Have spent enough $h*t on this stuff recently, so I'm good for now. Had to finally have the Star-Tac Zaan re-profiled by a Pro here locally so that it now cuts worth a darn thing! This bevel and edge was the worst factory edge I had received on a new knife out of the box, ever!

HZNfGlx.jpg
Really? That's amazing to me. I was just admiring those. But to hear that is surprising to me. I have no experience with these custom folders, but I would have thought a very sharp, very slicey edge would be the norm? Apparently not?

Really? That's amazing to me. I was just admiring those. But to hear that is surprising to me. I have no experience with these custom folders, but I would have thought a very sharp, very slicey edge would be the norm? Apparently not?

The Zaan came quite obtuse specially toward the tip. I understand as to why the grind angles are different on these toward the two but it seems that some CRKs come a bit on the duller side. My CF/Ti 21 came as sharp as I had ever had from CRK. I took the Zaan to Spyderco Sharpmaker but I just made things worse as I apparently could not do anything free hand worth a damn to make this apex properly. Finally took it to someone who uses a Tormek and he re profiled the primary bevel from the mess I had made out of (CRKs normally come with a convex edge) to a slightly hollow ground primary bevel s it cuts better now, much better. Later on when I want to use a guided system as the current edge gets dull, I should be able to put a straight V edge without much of an issue from the current hollow primary.

BTW, CRKs are considered production and not customs ;)

Well, you guys did it now. I just ordered another folder. To warm up for the CPK folder and for Mark's new model. (if he does one)

I ordered a Hinderer Xm-18. Just to see. I took a Blade U class that Rick taught couple years ago at Blade Show. It's past time to try one.

Congrats Brian :thumbsup:

Knowing that your usage would be on the more demanding side than say my foofoo style ( ;) ), I think that you made the better choice as opposed to going with CRK, not to diminish the CRK line. Even if the Hinderer comes a bit on the suspect side with it's edge angles as they also do from time to time (what I've heard, not personally owned), I reckon that you are well adept to deal with such small issues. S35VN steel version?

Lol.. you jerk..

Who doesn't carry a mossy log? Get with the times..
You guys and what you think of. It cracks me up. I love mossy logs. And they are awesome backdrops. But the picture of someone carrying one around is very funny.

Looking for a little help. My wife's uncle passed away. He collected high end folders. Just today I was offered the opportunity to purchase some from the estate.

received_10154950139529117.jpeg

This is 1 example. Have any of you collected any of these?
received_10154949954679117.jpeg received_10154950141664117.jpeg received_10154950139539117.jpeg

Looking for a little help. My wife's uncle passed away. He collected high end folders. Just today I was offered the opportunity to purchase some from the estate.

View attachment 742191

This is 1 example. Have any of you collected any of these?
View attachment 742192 View attachment 742193 View attachment 742194

Holy shit. Those are all amazing pieces for what they are, gentleman's folders.

There are a ton of us here who would be all over some of these at the right price.

Edit:

I've had a couple of the CRK Mnandis over the years but none in mammoth like that.

And the WHs, many will say pocket jewellery for men, but I don't see anything wrong with them. Similar to watches in a way.

They are probably not at all your style, but this could be a wicked opportunity for you to try some things out. If I was you, and the price was right I'd buy them for sure.

Last edited:
What Justin said. I'm sorry for your and your wife's loss but since you are a outdoorsy type of Family and love knives, albeit these being Gent Folders, perhaps you can finagle a deal to keep 'em in the Family?

Holy shit. Those are all amazing pieces for what they are, gentleman's folders.

There are a ton of us here who would be all over some of these at the right price.

Edit:

I've had a couple of the CRK Mnandis over the years but none in mammoth like that.

And the WHs, many will say pocket jewellery for men, but I don't see anything wrong with them. Similar to watches in a way.

They are probably not at all your style, but this could be a wicked opportunity for you to try some things out. If I was you, and the price was right I'd buy them for sure.

What Justin said. I'm sorry for your and your wife's loss but since you are a outdoorsy type of Family and love knives, albeit these being Gent Folders, perhaps you can finagle a deal to keep 'em in the Family?

I don't know any prices yet. He was a suit and tie guy. I used to be in high end sales myself and wear suits. I guess I will see what they ask. I offered to help them sell them, because the family has no option but maybe the bay auction...

I don't know any prices yet. He was a suit and tie guy. I used to be in high end sales myself and wear suits. I guess I will see what they ask. I offered to help them sell them, because the family has no option but maybe the bay auction...

Do certainly keep what works for you and help sell the rest if that is what you think is best.

I'm sorry for you loss of course but don't know how close he was to you, or if any of these have sentimental value and understand I have no idea the financial situation. But bad listings on the Bay usually are sold way lower than expected.

Crap man.. please don't throw 'em in the bay.. shoot me a PM if you don't get offers on those. I'm not sure what I'll be able to do, but I'd hate to see you lose those for the sake of quick cash. Quite the heirloom pieces!

Well, you guys did it now. I just ordered another folder. To warm up for the CPK folder and for Mark's new model. (if he does one)

I ordered a Hinderer Xm-18. Just to see. I took a Blade U class that Rick taught couple years ago at Blade Show. It's past time to try one.

Congrats Brian :thumbsup:

Knowing that your usage would be on the more demanding side than say my foofoo style ( ;) ), I think that you made the better choice as opposed to going with CRK, not to diminish the CRK line. Even if the Hinderer comes a bit on the suspect side with it's edge angles as they also do from time to time (what I've heard, not personally owned), I reckon that you are well adept to deal with such small issues. S35VN steel version?

Lol..foofoo..

Brian, just promise me you'll destroy the 0562 before the XM.. I'm curious of the fail point. Also, the elmax HT from ZT seemed a bit soft.. (Not terrible).. but I'm curious what your findings will be VS the XM.

Also, ill send you pics of my XM-18 with a REK regrind.. highly recommend.. The extra thin primary really makes it a slicy EDC, despite the fat handle.

Lol..foofoo..

Brian, just promise me you'll destroy the 0562 before the XM.. I'm curious of the fail point. Also, the elmax HT from ZT seemed a bit soft.. (Not terrible).. but I'm curious what your findings will be VS the XM.

Also, ill send you pics of my XM-18 with a REK regrind.. highly recommend.. The extra thin primary really makes it a slicy EDC, despite the fat handle.
I noticed the soft Elmax on the 0562. I touched up the edge and it was significantly different from CPK Elmax and Busse Elmax. I like the harder versions. That steel is made for harder Rc and for edge retention it needs to be 60 to 62. It sharpened like 57 or 58. Not sure why they would do that.

Crap man.. please don't throw 'em in the bay.. shoot me a PM if you don't get offers on those. I'm not sure what I'll be able to do, but I'd hate to see you lose those for the sake of quick cash. Quite the heirloom pieces!
I will see what the family wants to do. I don't think there is any rush to sell.

I've handled one Mnandi in mammoth like the one pictured. It was very nice, very smooth. It came from CRK down here in Boise while Chris was still there. IIRC he gifted it to a friend of mine for some help with machinery or tooling. Beautiful knife.

How do you handle that Busse elmax Brian? It gives me fits to sharpen.

Back