What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

How about a 6" shiv with FK handle or something from bringing those two together ? Just dreaming :)

I keep seeing daggers (or shivs) and fighting knives from some other (bigger) makers which I can not fathom produce anything in the quality of what Nathan has and can produce both in terms of quality, finish and the steel with Nathan's optimal HT. Those daggers in lesser steels still retail for upwards of $400 (this being about the base price) which happens to be around the base price for one of Nathan's older shives in A2 or 3v in the secondary market after the seller's almost 100% markup. Heck, even with a 100% or slightly more of a markup Nathan's old UFs are still a better value and merchandise as compared to similar fighters from CRK!

I know that most often I fool around in here and play the role of a court jester but in all seriousness, I would like to highlight that there is a real market for these two aforementioned patterns, whether as a collector or an actual user in remote and off the beaten path rural areas, so hopefully Nathan recognizes the commercial benefits based on the repeated demands on here alone and moves up this idea in the upper sections of his big board's to-do-list.

I would hesitate to compare another maker's dagger at the pricepoint mentioned above to anything close to the quality of one of Nathan's daggers. Perhaps that's why a comparison is being drawn to the shiv. But for the record, the Carothers dagger is in a class FAR above ANYTHING that can be had of any quality, size, type of construction or degree of perfection anywhere near what's suggested above, pricewise, which is only a fraction of such a dagger's cost.

I imagine that reconfiguring the manner of construction to that of a smaller or lower quality piece would reduce cost but cannot fathom the coding, the machining adjustments, etc. it would require to even come close to achieving such an excellent integral piece, in quantity, as has previously been produced.

Last edited:
Bob, I used terms dagger and shiv in a semantic fashion which I now realize to be sacrilegious. As the sole owner of that unique and exquisitely crafted CPK-Dagger of yours, you have the rights to rub my nose in *it* whenever you fancy ;)

LOL, I am not a sole owner, actually, Mat. There are at least three out there in the wild, so I'm hopefully not coming to this as an owner, but as one who understands a bit about daggers and integrals and inlays. I would just hate to have any future CPK lover who has a desire for a future dagger that Nathan may or may not produce in the future to expect a dagger at the pricepoint mentioned that is anywhere near the equivalency of the few which have been produced, each of which have an enormous number of hours involved in their making.

No harm, no foul:)

Last edited:
I would to see a LFK - a light field knife that's a slicer. If the chopper had a light version, why not a lighter version of the FK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fairly certain that I had read that if/when a v2 of the field knife appears, that utilizing thinner stock was on the list. Only Nathan actually knows, but that was exciting news for me as well, although the current field knife is one of my favorites as-is.

So, huge fan of the light chopper. Absolutely love the handle, balance, weight, everything. I may enlarge the choil at some point to comfortably and safely be able to put a finger up there but perfection otherwise.

That said, I realized I sometimes have a need for something even longer/larger.

What I would like to see next, or at least in the queue would be something with a 13-14" blade. Preferably still light and fast but still CPK tough. Maybe ~.190-.200" tk. Possibly the light chopper handle or maybe a slightly longer version to be able to have a grip that balances closer to center for "smaller knife" / non-chopper tasks and a grip further back for maximum power.

I believe such a blade with the CPK teams analysis and design could compete with the best big blades out there, but without being a nightmare in all non-chopping scenarios and relatively light enough to want to pack out on a regular basis.

Asking too much? Maybe from other makers. Certainly not CPK.

This would be something that would generate my interest as well-but since I have PLENTY of large Choppers I Still need the SHIV and survival knife First!!!
So, huge fan of the light chopper. Absolutely love the handle, balance, weight, everything. I may enlarge the choil at some point to comfortably and safely be able to put a finger up there but perfection otherwise.

That said, I realized I sometimes have a need for something even longer/larger.

What I would like to see next, or at least in the queue would be something with a 13-14" blade. Preferably still light and fast but still CPK tough. Maybe ~.190-.200" tk. Possibly the light chopper handle or maybe a slightly longer version to be able to have a grip that balances closer to center for "smaller knife" / non-chopper tasks and a grip further back for maximum power.

I believe such a blade with the CPK teams analysis and design could compete with the best big blades out there, but without being a nightmare in all non-chopping scenarios and relatively light enough to want to pack out on a regular basis.

Asking too much? Maybe from other makers. Certainly not CPK.

Last edited:
More kitchen knives. Flatware pieces i.e. steak and dinner knives. Pieces the entire family can use, appreciate and enjoy on a daily basis. I want to update my run-of-the-mill MAC Pro and standard Reed & Barton sets at some point.

I think it would be really cool if Nathan comes through with the big chopper he is chattin' about in the CPK photos thread!!

^^^ you must be thinking of that soon to be unveiled CPK not-to-be-called-survival-knife :)

I just started drawing up a potential new pattern, fits between the FK and the EDC, size-wise. Designed as a defensive and utility oriented blade

I just started drawing up a potential new pattern, fits between the FK and the EDC, size-wise. Designed as a defensive and utility oriented blade
This is a good thing, Dimensions please! .385 Blade length and a quarter in inch added to the handle length sounds like a winner!

about 8.5" overall, around 4" blade. Designed for saber and icepick grip, among others

Tommy, are you beside yourself? Your excitement is almost palpable for me and I'm in 'Diego, Cali!!!

about 8.5" overall, around 4" blade. Designed for saber and icepick grip, among others

That seems to be the blade size I find myself carrying most often so this is very interesting news to me.

So now that you've teased us a bit, how long til we can see a sketch?

And/or, what are you thinking for blade height and thickness?

Back