What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Lorien didn't find the massive success he has in his collaborations with CPK because he made something that looked nearly identical to something else out there.

Lets let the guy do his work and let's see what he comes up with.

:cool:

No but just like the legend of Leonardo DaVinci once when on his naturesque expeditions, he entered a cave which was a de facto wormhole. So Lorien went both back and forth in time and saw every knife that there ever was and everything that there will ever be. What seemed to him as a 30 min wanderlust, was in fact a 130 year absentia! When he came back, he recognized no one and no one remembered him. Let Lorien be Lorien.

Absolutely, in concurrence here. Lorien has many years of learning about all aspects of knives. We all grow and he has come from being a lurker long ago like most of us who begin, to being a voice that's respected for even more than his knife knowledge. Just for the record, I like that design. He'll end up tweaking it, keeping it or throwing it out, but give him time to do his thing.

No but just like the legend of Leonardo DaVinci once when on his naturesque expeditions, he entered a cave which was a de facto wormhole. So Lorien went both back and forth in time and saw every knife that there ever was and everything that there will ever be. What seemed to him as a 30 min wanderlust, was in fact a 130 year absentia! When he came back, he recognized no one and no one remembered him. Let Lorien be Lorien.

I love this^

for the record, Bob, I've never been a lurker! I opened my fat mouth within moments of signing up for BF, and it's all the trouble I've gotten into as a result of that that's lead me to learning some new and interesting things :) Thanks for you kind words, Bob, as always I'm humbled by your compliments

it was a little surreal seeing the photo of that RJ ZT- my concept drawing was very very close in places that mattered. Got me to thinking about little features such as thumb ramps...I have mixed feelings about them, but like any specific feature, when they're done properly I love em. RJ knows what that feature is meant to do, Bill Harsey knows too, but most of what I see out there kind of misses the whole point and maybe the reason for that is to create a distinctive look. Many look distinctive, alright, but....

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there are a limited number of ways to approach designing various features into a knife, and that within those limited number of possibilities, there are more ways to cock it up than there are to do it right. The way that I approach designing knives has more to do with getting things right, from a user interface pov, than from coming up with something truly unique looking

at any rate, I appreciate all the props and observations. I've already changed this rough sketch very slightly, and it looks almost like a different knife, to my eye at least. More useful now, so I can safely say that your guys' input has had a positive impact on the direction this design is taking. Thanks!

just throwing this out there...

I'd love to see a a 5" blade, bushcraft knife with a scandi or scandivex grind with a comfy handle suitable for multiple grips and positions.

With the 3v heat treat, my assumption would be the grind angle could be steepened a wee bit and make for a slicey cut with the benefit of being a good batonner for smaller sticks and such while still extremely robust. I find the scandivex grind is also superior to maintain consistent depth of bite for feather sticking and fine tasks.

My favorite example of this is Koster's gen 1 and 2 bushcrafters but not a fan of his later iterations, among other things.

Many makers have offered their vision and interpretation of a "high class Mora", but I think delta 3v, coupled with CPK flare would take that concept to the next level functionally.

Just my $.02

Thanks!

^^ Couldn't the current FK handle most if not all bush/outdoor/camp stuff though? I know a scandi grind excels for some tasks where other grinds are mediocre, but I bring my FK along for my outdoor adventures and it does great :D

I have found the FKs toughness and thin but sturdy geometry to be invaluable. Just a thought. So far the knives Nathan released each fill a role and maybe the bushcraft category can be handled by existing designs?

There's probably 80% overlap of capabilities between the NASK, the light chopper, heavy chopper and behemoth chopper when it comes down to it, but I rue the day when the status quo dictates tweaking be forgone.

Copper axes were 'good enough' back when :)

Never been a scandi CPK to my knowledge... love new things.

I like the grind on my potato knife too though

Whatever is next, I'll likely like. It's the delta 3v that I like.

To those with better memory than mine, was there a post by Nathan in the past when he had stated that he was not a big fan of the Scandi grinds for his own patterns? Am I confusing Nathan with someone else?

Edit: I just read Nathan's detailed post in ANAQ thread. He again reiterated as to why he's a fan of the Saber grinds so by deduction from that explanation, I would say probably no Scandi grinds anytime soon from CPK.

Last edited:
I wanted a Shiv so bad until I realized it's not useful for me and would be something I'd never use. A BC will serve me much better as will a folder.
No, The Shiv is NOT the best all around performer, it's beauty lies in her sleek lines and feel! Plus you must be prepared for the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse which is looming over the Horizon:rolleyes: :cool:;)

No, The Shiv is NOT the best all around performer, it's beauty lies in her sleek lines and feel! Plus you must be prepared for the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse which is looming over the Horizon:rolleyes: :cool:;)

Absolutely great for that. But so is the BEHEMOTH! paired with an EDC or FK :cool:

Not to rub it in, but the Shiv is really a thing of beauty, poise and balance alongside its deadly use if and when called upon. Of course its utilitarian purpose will shine above most others in some extreme and hostile situations that will probably never present itself to over 95% of us coach potato warriors, but to those who may be in LE, Mil, 1st responders or very extreme environment dwellers (Dave come to mind) the Shiv will not just be a luxury.

My purpose of chasing one and finally landing one after much perseverance is because in a few years, I intend to live mostly in the boonies during my permanent retirement phase. The good news for the rest of you then is that I will not have much Internet access, so one less beloved A-Hole to grab CPK knives on Fridays sales :D

^ that one is one marvelous creation by Mr. Keffeler :thumbsup: It is his Sasquatch pattern, correct?

Well, you are well prepped to chill back to wait to see if Nathan puts the BC or a slightly tweaked variant of a larger CPK chopper into full on production.

And just watch the Zombies turn tail and run when the "GREAT FERROUS WHEEL" begins to spin!

large.jpg

Back