What knife would you use to kill a bear?

I wouls use a bear knife, of course.:)

Gerber-Bear-Grylls-Ultimate-Knife-31-000751-600x500.jpg

Kabar Large Heavy Bowie-Sharp, 9" blade...and w/ a clip point, it is a good sticker. Also, the kraton handle gives a good grip in case your hand gets wet with blood.

It is always funny to watch these threads.
a guy posts something like "Due to my work I have to be in bear country but firearms are not permissable. What knife might give me the best odds at surviving an attack?"

Next thing you know guys are saying he is crazy for hunting bear with a knife. Fine..... I have HAD to travel to countries/cities where getting caught with a fixed blade or even locking blade knife means a lengthy prison sentance and no cheerful US Consulate nearby to bail my butt out(they often have metal detectors or pocket searches at even shopping malls). SO, I had to settle for a locally bought slipjoint for my last ditch defense against two legged critters. Would I normally choose a knife for defense? - not on my life would I! let alone a slipjoint - We do not always get to choose the ideal defense.

A buddy of mine once crewed on a survey team in remote areas of Montana- per their carry load and his employer- he was not allowed a rifle. They frequently saw bears and one guy got treed and was nearly stomped by a Bull Elk. My buddy bought a TC 35Rem as a compromise- not ideal but better than nothing.

Guy in first story was lucky but at least he fought back!

Bill

You gotta do what you gotta do when your being attacked. I would suggest something big enough to reach vitals and get through that thick coat and muscle. the coldsteel oss,or laredo bowie could probably get through it and have lengthy blades.

Research Ben Lilley(sp) he guided Teddy Roosevelt on hunts through the states. He is reported to have killed a good number of bears with a knife.

I didn't mean Roosevelt killed bears with knives, I meant Ben Lilly.

photo of Ben Lilley
Ben_Benjamin_Lilly_Portrait.jpg
holy crap. this guy looks like he killed bears with his bare hands! one of my new heroes

Last edited:
Leftie and rightie. My Feet! The smell of poop in my shorts might help deter him as well.

I'd pull out a Swiss Army Farmer Pocket Knife and when he starts rolling over laughing uncontrollably, I'd run like hell.

Back