What Leather are you Totin Today .

That looks cool Chris good job. Who said roughout can't be stamped? Wantto see the knife too.

Travis very nice work. Good job. Like Derek said keep it up and lets see more.

This is a simple pocket holster I made. It works surpricingly well, keeps the knife upright and breaks the outlines so the knife does not "print". Planning on making new and fancier one.

WP_20150601_006_zpssr0usx9x.jpg

And the knife:

WP_20150528_002_zpsiyak9a4g.jpg

Some more roughout. Another pair of spur straps

3az4rvG.jpg

IaTHH0q.jpg

Horsewright leggings and the above spurstraps. The Blue Bomber, Easton (my grandson) and Mikey the New Zealand Header. Looking for cattle Friday afternoon. On the backside of that big moutain I was coming down a very steep firebreak, my horse was basically sliding, when a herd of about 20 wild pigs crossed the firebreak about 20 yards in front of me. Easton was right behind em at about 10 yards and closing fast, swinging his rope. They made it to some brush before Easton could throw. Blue Bomber tried to bust through but couldn't in time. No pork bbq that night.

Last edited:
I heard it was dry in California ... pretty 'slim pickins' in that country for Cattle. Although it is amazing what they can get by on. (and do well on too)
Just had a look at Tehachapi in the map and see the "Alta Wind Energy Center" I assume you are out that way from the photos on your web site.
Have you ever seen the whole process through from breeding your cattle to having the hide tanned and using the leather?

Derek

Hfinn that is a nice slip. Like it.

Brumby Yep its been dry for a long time. We've been in the worst drought ever. Although they say this year is gonna be an El Nino year, (wetter than normal). In fact they are calling it the Godzilla El Nino. We'll see.

c8L5fPp.jpg

Cowboy crew letting the ponies catch air after climbing up from the flat. The flat has an elevation of about 4200 ft. Even though the flat is all part of our ranch it is actually within the city limits of Tehachapi. This can make for some interesting interactions on occasions. Town of Tehachapi down below.

lOflwyH.jpg

Second air break, still climbing. Cara and Nichole with Sophia on the left. The eastern ridge with the windmills divides the Tehachapi valley from the Mojave desert. The cooler mountian air wants to run out to the hotter lower desert so it is always windy out there and most of the time on our flat too. Tehachapi is kind of groundzero for the wind industry and it is a major employer locally.

AGlkaI3.jpg

Nichole riding into the bowl. The ranch is big and big rugged mountainous country. We had 8 riders and we swept that whole place Fri afternoon. Besides the pigs already mentioned that Easton almost got roped, we saw alot of deer and a mountain lion, the 3 retired horses but no cows. The lion of course makes a guy worry. Finally at dusk and at the corrals we found two cows. Put them in the corrals, fed em and called it an evening. Next morning the entire herd is in the bowl. Go figure. We pretty much decided that our ranch has a portal to another cow dimension. I'm not so much worried about the lion now. Saw the retired horses Sat evening and the 30 plus yr old tough as nails mustang had claw marks on his face. You don't get to be 30 plus years old in the mustang world by being a wuss. I imagine that cat is laying dead somewheres with his lights stomped out.

MmmhbDj.jpg

Some of our replacement heifers we're keeping back. These heifers were all born in March/15. While we don't have alot of grass due to the drought, what we do have is obviously real rich. If there was a Cow Cosmo magazine, #113, here in the front, could be the cover girl. She'll go 750 lbs. We sell our calves at around 400 lbs. So I never have followed one all the way through from birth to leather. IF it rains we will keep these heifers to add to the cowherd and sell their dad. If it doens't rain by end of Nov we will sell the heifers and keep the bull.

Last edited:
Dave, I like that big blue roan. Rode a strawberry walker for about 15 years. She was old when we got her and old as dirt now-think by the youngest estimate at least 35 now. She's lookin' pretty thin in this photo which is before the dentist came to visit.

Yeah Nichole has been trying to trade Easton out of The Blue Bomber. She has offered him a saddle, my twisted reata, a pair of braided reins and a bosalito. He says he needs some cash money too to buy a steady horse while he brings his colt he's riding too along. She's kinda broncy and he gets er rode but he needs something steady for pen work. They're pretty close to a deal. Easton has done a real good job with that horse, be proud to ride it. Funny you say that cause we're literally waiting at any second for the vet to show up for their annual dental checks and fall shots. got a 35 yr old out here at the house too. He's Clancy "The Rock". You roped something with Clancy and it was going with ya. Thats how he got the nickname The Rock long before there was a wrestler named that. We keep him on that Purina Senior feed. He's in unbelievalbe shape, blind mostly and deaf but the body condition of a 10 year old.

So the vet came to do some work on our horses and he was toting Horsewright gear. Vertical pancake sheath and lined belt. Knife is one of my Poco models which is Dave Spanish for not enough damascus steel left to make a Gordo.

kfFHzK7.jpg

9OHO4KP.jpg

Lots of thunder and lightning cracking that morning. Hear a crack and turn around: lightning strike.

Ioxfqg3.jpg

This is one of Easton's family's ranches. They had some unintended beef bbq a few years back in the same location when another fire burnt most of that mountain range.

WWqmXqP.jpg

It burned for most of the day and they got it under control. You look real close in this shot and you can see one of the planes getting ready to make his run.

sPXkjjp.jpg

Last edited:
I've made a few of these card wallets recently, gave a few away and even sold one!

The basketweave is my first ever attempt at stamping something, so please go easy on me ;)

Travis

I spent the day yesterday walking around the International Custom Cutlery Exposition in Kansas City. There were so many big names and so much talent in that room it was just unbelievable.
Ken, you should be well pleased, I represented the roughout crowd and think I had the only roughout sheath in the room. Dave, I showed off the knife I made with that ironwood you sent me every chance I could get. ;)
N4geG60.jpg

I'm already excited to go again next year!
Chris

Ive been absent for the last week or two , but it looks like there is some very cool leather being toted . :thumbup:

Ken

PS - you guys know my weakness for Rough Out , and there is some great examples being shown here .

Trying out this new Paramilitary2 belt sheath I just finished. It turned out a bit chunky, but still wears remarkably well. Belt and wallet are handmade in Lithuania.
unnamed_zpsgpksrqtw.jpg

More roughout:

Ladies Belt Style spur straps.

bCiuJCA.jpg

With contrasting stitching.

BOBubPi.jpg

Men's Two Piece spur strap with copper buckles and conchos.

lwst3xd.jpg

Men's with plain cart buckle.

DNDhpuP.jpg

All of these are lined with English bridle leather.

Some of our new Horizontal card wallets, one done in roughout. The veggie tan on these are horsehide.

TJUaqP4.jpg

Same in a vertical orientation. Not all the fronts here are horsehide.

Vl6TkSb.jpg

Last edited:
Dave ,

Those spur straps are super cool , and those card wallets will end up being some of your biggest sellers if they aren't already .
I'm loving all this " Rough " stuff you guys are making .

Ken

Thanks Ken. I've got one of those wallets in my pocket right now. I really like it. Glad to see ya back around.

Dave,
The colored stitching on the vertical wallets look nice. That wallet is about all I need to carry a license, credit card and cash.Nice product. What weight leather?
John S.

Back